Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XX55XX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I was thinking about buying an iPad Mini with the 12 watt charger. How much faster does the 12 watt charger charge the iPad Mini than the stock charger? Anyone know?

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I was thinking about buying an iPad Mini with the 12 watt charger. How much faster does the 12 watt charger charge the iPad Mini than the stock charger? Anyone know?

here's the statement from 9to5 MAC.

“We don’t have an exact percentage of how much faster it would charge but you should see an increase in speed.”

so definitely it will charge your ipad faster than the 5w one.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It charges in less than half the time.

Also, if you want to use the iPad mini while charging, the 12w charger is a real good idea as the 5w charger will charge the iPad mini very slowly while it's in use.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
You could just calculate it.

All the needed details are available. The battery in the iPad Mini is 16.3Wh. The 12W charger outputs 5.2V 2.4A ;)

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
So - in my testing - (I've done some)
Mini can pull a full 10 watts from a modern Macbook anything, 10w charger, and 12w charger (2.1 amps).

It can't pull 2.4 amps. So the 12watt charger works in in 10 watt mode.
-Shaown

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
You could just calculate it.

All the needed details are available. The battery in the iPad Mini is 16.3Wh. The 12W charger outputs 5.2V 2.4A ;)

Except that you're missing the information on the current limit in the charging circuit. So, you can't just calculate it.

Regards,
Tom

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
You can order one as an accessory.

I have 2 Android tablets, and both charge in about 2 hours. I went to look at the Nex7, but walked out with the iPad Mini. I really like it, but charge times look to be between 4-5 hrs. About 4:30 average without being used. This is far from acceptable. Also I hear that we can use (purchase) the 12W adapter, but I get mad thinking Apple is nickle and diming us. Also has this been verified by Apple to work fine without damage to the batter, or shortening of its life span?

Also I could charge at night, but was concerned with Overcharging that can occur in some devices.

Last edited:

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Also I hear that we can use (purchase) the 12v adapter, but I get mad thinking Apple is nickle and diming us. Also has this been verified by Apple to work fine without damage to the batter, or shortening of its life span?

Also I could charge at night, but was concerned with Overcharging that can occur in some devices.

Agreed that it might have been nice to get the 12W (not 12v) charger with the mini. But, I haven't had any charging concerns since getting the mini on launch day. I charge at night with no fears of overcharging; the internal charging circuit is perfectly capable.

You could search the forum for whether the 12W charger has Apple's seal of approval -- it's been discussed, but I don't remember the outcome, other than to say I would be fully comfortable using it.

Regards,
Tom

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

I wouldn't be concerned because with the latest technology, most lithium based batteries that Apple uses don't overcharge at all. They have a chip inside so it knows when it's full. When it is fully charged, the charging stops and goes into a trickle charge mode to maintain at 100% but this will not damage the battery.

So it is 100% safe to charge it overnight when you are sleeping. I always charge mine every night regardless of where my battery % is. So that I have it fully charged in the morning.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have 2 Android tablets, and both charge in about 2 hours. I went to look at the Nex7, but walked out with the iPad Mini. I really like it, but charge times look to be between 4-5 hrs. About 4:30 average without being used. This is far from acceptable. Also I hear that we can use (purchase) the 12v adapter, but I get mad thinking Apple is nickle and diming us. Also has this been verified by Apple to work fine without damage to the batter, or shortening of its life span?

the 12watt adapter is fine for the iPad mini and even the iPhone and a lot of iPod models. Using Apple's chargers will not overcharge an Apple device. And that's true of all properly designed chargers.

And if you had gone to the page for the Apple 12W USB Power Adapter you would have seen that the iPad mini is listed in the Compatibility section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.