Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
So as you can all see by the pics attached, I dropped my MBA and the corner of the top casing near the charger has bent. I had to tape up the bottom case to prevent the aluminum of the top case from grating away at it (I was getting smal aluminum flakes falling onto my screen etc).

My last resort is to take it to the apple store. Between what they charge for parts and labor I'm sure I'm going to have to shell about about half the cost of the computer to get this fixed there.

My stupid solution is to take plyers and see if I can bend it back.

Anyone have this issue happen to them? Have any of you found a quick and easy (cheap) fix? I considered buying the parts myself but can't find the part number for the top casing for the life of me, and plus, from teardown videos I'm way too much of a novice to be taking on that huge of an operation.

Also, if anyone knows of great repair shops in LA that are honest and can give me a bare bones price, please let me know. Not making enough to shell out hundreds of dollars on this, and as I work weekdays and weekends I'm trying to minimize the amount of time I spend going from shop to shop (which is why I'm posting here).

Thank you

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,809
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 275
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 390
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 341

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, you most likely bended more than just the casing, so they would have to replace the whole thing. I wouldn't try bending it. But I would ask someone to open it just to stop it from flaking bits everywhere and then reassemble it afterwards.

If it doesn't bug you other than the flaking that it. Doesn't seem to have done anything to your screen otherwise.

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
:eek:

I would probably go the "stupid solution" route and try to flatten it out with pliers myself. But that's just me. If you try it, just be careful that you don't damage the screen itself.

----------

And as far as I can tell, from this disassembly video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNtnvzfSzY), there isn't anything in that corner that can be affected.

Best of luck.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
if you intend on repairing it anyway, go ahead and try to bend it back. if you can live with the damage as is, i wouldn't mess with it.

Boatworker

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I did the same thing a few weeks ago and was able to bend it back with some flat, wide nose pliers. Touched up the aluminum with a very fine file and it is OK now.

If you do this put something like stiff plastic between the case and the pliers to prevent doing even more damage to the case.

Good luck,
Jim

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I did the same thing a few weeks ago and was able to bend it back with some flat, wide nose pliers. Touched up the aluminum with a very fine file and it is OK now.

If you do this put something like stiff plastic between the case and the pliers to prevent doing even more damage to the case.

Good luck,
Jim

i will try this, thank you!

j.almeida70

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Bent repair

Hello, joejoejoe, have you sucessfully managed to bend back the corner? If you did, would you be so kind to post photos? I have the same issue and I'd like to have a look at the outcome before I attempt this.

Boatworker, may I request a photo from yours?

thank you both in advance

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.