Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 6, 2013, 06:09 PM   #151
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816
 
Taz Mangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo-L View Post
So in 2 years my plan will be lower? WOW. What about if I upgrade phones when a new one comes out in a year (which I always do)? I realize $10/mo in savings over the plans, but is $10 worth it to have a worse network?

If you want cheap check out the Straight Talk from Walmart. Crippled iPhone and network, but its cheap!!
How do you mean crippled iPhone? The T-Mobile iPhone is the same iPhone as the AT&T iPhone. In some markets Straight Talk uses Sprint towers which means it could also be crippled in those areas, like my area.
__________________
'11 27" iMac Quad Core 3.4GHz, 16GB, 1TB HD, 256GB SSD; '09 17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz, 8GB, 500GB HD; '09 MacMini, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 320GB HD; '13 32GB iPhone 5; '13 64GB LTE iPad Air; '13 32GB iPod Touch 5
Taz Mangus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:43 PM   #152
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Anyone still deciding to change to T-Mo???

READ THIS article:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/03/26/iphone-5-carrier-comparison-t-mobile-vs-att-vs-verizon-vs-sprint/

It explains Pros & Cons of all iPhone 5 carriers plans!!!
yehudah72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #153
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Still thinking of switching???

READ THIS: (I posted this in another thread):
Got my own answer!!!

List of cities with HSPA and HSPA+ refarmed to the 1900 MHz:
http://androidandme.com/2012/12/carriers/t-mobile-upgrades-14-new-metro-areas-to-4g-hspa-on-1900-mhz-band/

This list confirms San Diego to be refarmed 1900 MHz HSPA+:
http://androidandme.com/2012/12/carriers/t-mobile-now-offers-4g-speeds-for-att-and-unlocked-phones-in-23-metro-areas/


Which should mean that HSPA+ is also available for unlocked AT&T iPhones, not just HSPA.

HERE'S a small part of article:
"...T-Mobile has been moving pretty fast and today they announced that 23 metro areas, reaching over 100 million people, now have the enhanced network. This means that unlocked AT&T phones and some global phones can now experience 4G HSPA+ 42 Mbps speeds on T-Mobileís network..."

CONTINUES TO PART WE CARE ABOUT:
"...Internal T-Mobile tests of unlocked iPhone 4S devices running over 4G HSPA+ on their 1900 MHz network recorded on average 70% faster download speeds than iPhone 4S devices on AT&Tís network."
yehudah72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:33 AM   #154
jehrler
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehudah72 View Post
Still thinking of switching???

READ THIS: (I posted this in another thread):
Got my own answer!!!

List of cities with HSPA and HSPA+ refarmed to the 1900 MHz:
http://androidandme.com/2012/12/carr...1900-mhz-band/

This list confirms San Diego to be refarmed 1900 MHz HSPA+:
http://androidandme.com/2012/12/carr...3-metro-areas/


Which should mean that HSPA+ is also available for unlocked AT&T iPhones, not just HSPA.

HERE'S a small part of article:
"...T-Mobile has been moving pretty fast and today they announced that 23 metro areas, reaching over 100 million people, now have the enhanced network. This means that unlocked AT&T phones and some global phones can now experience 4G HSPA+ 42 Mbps speeds on T-Mobile’s network..."

CONTINUES TO PART WE CARE ABOUT:
"...Internal T-Mobile tests of unlocked iPhone 4S devices running over 4G HSPA+ on their 1900 MHz network recorded on average 70% faster download speeds than iPhone 4S devices on AT&T’s network."
Haven't read the article yet, but at least one part is inaccurate at least as far as iPhones. The 1900 refarm maxes out at 21 Mbps. The 42 Mbps speeds are only for 3G in the AWS band which only new i5s will work with (the TMo i5 plus, eventually and according to rumor, later revs of the AT&T i5)
jehrler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #155
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehrler View Post
Haven't read the article yet, but at least one part is inaccurate at least as far as iPhones. The 1900 refarm maxes out at 21 Mbps. The 42 Mbps speeds are only for 3G in the AWS band which only new i5s will work with (the TMo i5 plus, eventually and according to rumor, later revs of the AT&T i5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehrler View Post
As I noted in another thread, this is not quite correct re unlocked AT&T i5/4S/4. In the refarmed areas the 1900 max is 21Mbps not 42Mbps. I believe this is because they don't have enough spectrum to go whole hog.

The 42Mbps is limited to the AWS part of the spectrum and that will only be available with the new TMo i5 or, potentially, the revved AT&T i5 (absent some Apple update or hack that unlocks the AWS band for HSPA+ on the older AT&T i5s.)
Thanks for correction... Either way, as for as I've been told (in this thread), the iPhone 4S is only HSPA+ (or HSPA) is only up to 14Mbps... So as long as I get the iPhone 4S's full 4G capability I'm good!!! At least on the 4 lines I'm bringing over from AT&T... I didn't want to get stuck on 2G or 3G... As long as I get some 4G I'm good.

Plus, I also got six T-Mo iPhone 5 on order... 10 lines total... Oh, plus one Sonic 2.0 hotspot to use for my iPads & laptops on the road.

Last edited by yehudah72; Apr 7, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
yehudah72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:00 PM   #156
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Anyone know if FaceTime works on 3G/4G/LTE???
yehudah72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:02 PM   #157
MGTR420
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danbury, CT
Finally see pending charge of the full price of the phone, estimated delivery date of the 16th...wish it would come friday though...
__________________
Macbook Pro 13.3 Retina, iPhone 5s 32gb, iPad Mini 16gb
MGTR420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:14 AM   #158
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehudah72 View Post
Anyone know if FaceTime works on 3G/4G/LTE???
Over 3G/4G, yes with no problems. I assume that it will work over LTE as well.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:51 PM   #159
MGTR420
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Danbury, CT
iphone has shipped, label was only created. found tracking number by using my phone number as reference. hoping it comes friday instead of the 16th.

Monday, 04/15/2013, By End of Day
__________________
Macbook Pro 13.3 Retina, iPhone 5s 32gb, iPad Mini 16gb

Last edited by MGTR420; Apr 10, 2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: update day would receive
MGTR420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:53 AM   #160
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ [will always be home ] ... Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post
iphone has shipped, label was only created. found tracking number by using my phone number as reference. hoping it comes friday instead of the 16th.

Monday, 04/15/2013, By End of Day
How did you find your tracking number using your phone number ? Details please
__________________
Late '13 15" rMBP 2.3'16' 512 iPad Air LTE Mini Retina LTE
FS Mid '13 MBA i7`8`256 w/AppleCare thru late 2016! ; Mid '13 13" rMBP 2.4' 8'256 ; iP5S Unlocked ; Note 3
M5RahuL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:45 PM   #161
daxwindu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Information on T-Mobile Simple Choice Plans

Called Tmo to make sure all iPhone 5 features were included in there new Simple Choice Plans. Their customer service rep confirmed that Facetime over 4G, Messages, Visual Voicemail and Personal Hotspot (PH) are features included in this plan. There is one caveat, the PH is limited to 500MB if you want to add more data to it you need to include a $10/month for 2GB or $20/mo for 4GB plan on top of the $50 Unlimited Talk+Text (first line) and $20 4G unlimited data plan (per line).

Now I called AT&T to talked to their sales rep (I'm with them now) and ask them if there was any incentive for customers like me willing to switch to Tmo over less expensive plans (I currently have a "Grandfathered Unlimited" with Family Plan) when compared to their Mobile Share plan. I did the #s Tmo is about $45/mo cheaper than AT&T and I really dont care that much about LTE since I am mostly on wifi. Well the Sales rep said, "Good luck you have been a good customer for a long time would hate to see you go."

They confirmed to me that once you break contract and pay your ETF they are willing to unlock the phone to you.

Hope this information is useful to many of you.
daxwindu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #162
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwindu View Post
Called Tmo to make sure all iPhone 5 features were included in there new Simple Choice Plans. Their customer service rep confirmed that Facetime over 4G, Messages, Visual Voicemail and Personal Hotspot (PH) are features included in this plan. There is one caveat, the PH is limited to 500MB if you want to add more data to it you need to include a $10/month for 2GB or $20/mo for 4GB plan on top of the $50 Unlimited Talk+Text (first line) and $20 4G unlimited data plan (per line).

Now I called AT&T to talked to their sales rep (I'm with them now) and ask them if there was any incentive for customers like me willing to switch to Tmo over less expensive plans (I currently have a "Grandfathered Unlimited" with Family Plan) when compared to their Mobile Share plan. I did the #s Tmo is about $45/mo cheaper than AT&T and I really dont care that much about LTE since I am mostly on wifi. Well the Sales rep said, "Good luck you have been a good customer for a long time would hate to see you go."

They confirmed to me that once you break contract and pay your ETF they are willing to unlock the phone to you.

Hope this information is useful to many of you.

I have:
1 Individual line with Grandfatheref Unlimited Data
+
5 in Family Plan (1 has grandfather unl't & 4 have the 3GB for $30)
Total: about $450-$550 per month (depends on data overages)

Moved to T-Mo now:
1 Individual Line w/ Unl't Data $70
5 Family Plan w/ Unl't Data $210
TOTAL $280 per month (NO Overages since all are Unl't)


TOTALLY WORTH PAYING THE ETF on all 6 lines!!!


As for Factory Unlock:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjay View Post
Get your AT&T iPhone unlocked for only $7 at www.unlocksmyi.com

OR
I have used many times with no problem:
$5.99 (24hr service) at appledatabase.com


A friend has used:
Many Services and Devices:
http://www.paylesswirelessus.net/imei/productsandservices.html
***READ Details for each type of service... Some are very specific details, like: iPhones Reported Lost/Stolen CAN be unlocked, etc.

Any iPhone:
$1.50 (1-24hr service)
http://www.paylesswirelessus.net/product-and-services/parent/1006/c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b/124-Hours-ATampT-iPhone-2G-3G-3GS-4-4S-5.html



.
yehudah72 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:59 PM   #163
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Does anyone know if there's a Hardware difference between the iPhone 4S Models: T-Mobile's vs AT&T's???


Currently, I'm using an AT&T Factory Unlocked with T-Mo's Carrier Update. Although, I need to depend on the 3G/4G 1900MHz refarmed signal to get real 4G.

I heard, from T-Mo Rep that a T-Mo iPhone 4S (or iPhone 5, of course), DON'T depend on the refarmed frequencies.


Can anyone confirm iPhone 4S Models: T-Mobile's vs AT&T's hardware?????
yehudah72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:24 PM   #164
alent1234
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I pay $266 for a 4 line AT&T family plan. 5 line would be $300 including all taxes


Quote:
Originally Posted by yehudah72 View Post
I have:
1 Individual line with Grandfatheref Unlimited Data
+
5 in Family Plan (1 has grandfather unl't & 4 have the 3GB for $30)
Total: about $450-$550 per month (depends on data overages)

Moved to T-Mo now:
1 Individual Line w/ Unl't Data $70
5 Family Plan w/ Unl't Data $210
TOTAL $280 per month (NO Overages since all are Unl't)


TOTALLY WORTH PAYING THE ETF on all 6 lines!!!


As for Factory Unlock:



OR
I have used many times with no problem:
$5.99 (24hr service) at appledatabase.com


A friend has used:
Many Services and Devices:
http://www.paylesswirelessus.net/imei/productsandservices.html
***READ Details for each type of service... Some are very specific details, like: iPhones Reported Lost/Stolen CAN be unlocked, etc.

Any iPhone:
$1.50 (1-24hr service)
http://www.paylesswirelessus.net/product-and-services/parent/1006/c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b/124-Hours-ATampT-iPhone-2G-3G-3GS-4-4S-5.html



.
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:33 AM   #165
yehudah72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
I pay $266 for a 4 line AT&T family plan. 5 line would be $300 including all taxes
Are all phones on acct iPhones? I pay alot b'cus all 6 are iPhones... So each has $30 data plan (2 have the grandfathered Unl't Plan & 4 have the 3GB plan). Also 5 lines are on Family Plan, the 6th line is on Individual line with Unl't Talk also.
yehudah72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #166
alent1234
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehudah72 View Post
Are all phones on acct iPhones? I pay alot b'cus all 6 are iPhones... So each has $30 data plan (2 have the grandfathered Unl't Plan & 4 have the 3GB plan). Also 5 lines are on Family Plan, the 6th line is on Individual line with Unl't Talk also.
3 iphones and a galaxy S3 on a mobile share account. almost $40 is to taxes. i have 10GB data shared between all phones

my wife and i use less than 3GB. mother in law is under 200MB. and father in law is in the 5GB range

new phones would cost me $30 a month plus around $8 in taxes per line. maybe a little more if it was a heavy data user
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pegatron Reportedly Receives 15% of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Orders Ahead of September Launch MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 86 May 12, 2014 06:41 AM
Istanbul Apple Store Taking Shape Ahead of April Launch MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 15 Mar 26, 2014 05:30 PM
German Retailer Begins Taking Mac Pro Pre-Orders, Claims December 16 Availability [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 153 Dec 16, 2013 02:45 PM
T-Mobile is only taking pre-orders this morning! viperGTS iPhone 0 Sep 20, 2013 10:15 AM
T-Mobile USA Announces Trade-In Offer for Existing iPhone Owners Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 May 13, 2013 11:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC