Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

How can I combine several MP4s?

I have converted several of my home movies to MP4 and would now like to combine several of them into one file. How can I simply merge these files?

Played around with iMovie but it must import all movies... taking forever.
I've tried VLC and QuickTime Player: saw nothing there.

Thanks.
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
fa8362
macrumors 65816

I'm not aware of any editing software (that allows joining clips) that doesn't require importing.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

QuickTime Pro allows you to open the first movie; click copy; open a second movie; then paste; and so on.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

I found a solution with QuickTime Player. No need to buy the Pro version

Link: http://www.macyourself.com/2009/03/1...-of-quicktime/

Quote:
A lot of times when youíre dealing with video you run into a situation where you want to merge a movie file with another but arenít concerned with things like transitions or titles. Using a video editor like iMovie does the job but itís far too much effort for something so simple. Luckily, hidden in the standard free version of Appleís QuickTime Player is the ability to drag & drop video clips together.

To start off, open a video in QuickTime. Now position the programís playhead where you would like your next video clip to be inserted. It can be at the beginning, anywhere in the middle, or right at the end. Once you have done that, locate your second movie file in Finder. Select the file and drag & drop it right onto the QuickTime window. Playing the whole movie will reveal that the clips have now been combined and are acting as if they were a single video. This trick can be applied with any number of files ó youíre not limited to just two.

Hereís where things get kind of tricky. Since only QuickTime Pro has the ability to save movies from the File menu, we donít have the luxury of using that option here. Instead, you have to close the video. Only then will you be greeted with the option of saving your merged file. Click the Save button and, in the dialog box that comes up, choose ďSave as a self-contained movie.Ē It gets messy if you donít choose this setting, so make sure you donít skip it before continuing. Click Save once more and you will have a merged movie created entirely with the free version of QuickTime!

One last bit of information for anyone who is curiousÖ you can combine any video format that QuickTime supports (both out-of-the-box and with the help of plugins like Flip4Mac and Perian). So a .mov file can be dragged on top of a .avi file, a .mp4 can be merged with a .wmv, and so on. Varying video resolutions can also be combined, although the smaller file will be anchored to the top-left corner with black filling the rest of the frame. It would be nice if it scaled to fit the larger videoís resolution, but thatís getting picky. Free is free, right?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
nixietoob
macrumors newbie

Nice find RightMACatU !! My video needs are simple & skills are primitive (I doubt Iíll move beyond iMovie). This is an excellent basic mechanism to know about. Thanks!
nixietoob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video