Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if any one in the Houston Texas area knows were to find a good mattress. I've had a Sealy posturepedic for the last 14 years. I would like to replace it. I'm in the market for a new full size mattress. Can anyone recommend a good store to purchase a new mattress from? Can anyone recommend a good brand of mattress? I'm looking for a cushion firm mattress? You know a mattress that is firm and not rock hard. I've been thinking about looking at Gallery Furniture or Mattress Firm.

Thank you

Last edited:

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I found a set of Sterns and Foster at a Rooms-2-go outlet for $800. It is a $5000 retail set. All the other sets, like sealy, were going for $250. But I knew the brand and snatched it immediately. Best mattress I have ever owned.

Ask Macy's, Dillard's, etc where their local outlet is and scrounge.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, go to The Dump, 10251 North Fwy, Houston, TX 77037. The Dump Mattress Link. Several months ago they had some very comfortable latex mattresses (I think it's a LatexBliss model) for about $1100 approx half of normal retail on them. We bought the firmest one, however if I was to do it again, I'd buy the second most firm one, although I can't really complain. This mattress is outstanding.

They are only open on weekends and they won't take your old mattress. They do have a list of vendors who will recycle old mattresses. We paid $25 to have the old king taken away.

As I recall they have other than latex mattresses too. You'll have to check it out. If not familiar with latex see this link.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes, go to The Dump

If not familiar with latex see this link.

Taken out of context both of these comments made me chuckle. I always have to try out a mattress before commiting to a purchase. In the UK some stores give a firmness rating on their mattresses. As long as you know what ratting you chose last time it's easier to get a similar feel.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Taken out of context both of these comments made me chuckle. I always have to try out a mattress before commiting to a purchase. In the UK some stores give a firmness rating on their mattresses. As long as you know what ratting you chose last time it's easier to get a similar feel.

But also in the UK when your instore trying the beds out and finding a comfy mattress, you flip off your shoes, get nice and comfy and just as your drifting off to sleep the staff have an annoying habit of popping up and chattering on about the interest free credit and buy now and nothing to pay for 12 months deals, unknown to them you have no interest in buying anything, your just killing time before picking up the wife and felt like a lie down :p

I've been looking at this one.

Now that looks like a comfortable mattress and I like the temperature control, we dont see much of that in the UK, we just get told that using memory foam is no good if you get hot in the night :)

Last edited:

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
I got my mattress from some mattress store in Houston 5-6 years ago. What I did was laid down on several to find the ones I liked. From there the 2-3 I liked the best I spent more time on really locking them down.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But also in the UK when your instore trying the beds out and finding a comfy mattress, you flip off your shoes, get nice and comfy and just as your drifting off to sleep

Last time I went bed shopping, we walked in and there was nobody there. As we were walking round these two ladies sat up as they had obviously been having a lie down and they were the sales staff! Maybe they were having a nap.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

A chance to make a joke and I let it slip by. What's wrong with me? ;)

When I decided to go with a foam mattress I vowed no springs, so I avoided hybrid mattresses, in hindsight for no especially good reason.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I checked out several mattresses at a local mattress store, after visiting a Sleep Number store. All the ones I liked were in the same price range as the Sleep Number and none had a warranty that could compete (20 or 25 years on the Sleep Number). Sleep Number also had 0% financing for 18 months at the time, with an additional discount on top of that. The financing is through GE Capital.

For reference, mine is a queen size C3, dual-chamber (one for each side) with modular (not adjustable) base and wireless remote plus delivery and removal of the old. Setup of the mattress looked pretty easy but I had no way to dispose of the old one. I had been visiting a chiropractor on a somewhat regular basis, I've gone maybe 2 times since I got the new mattress (in March).

If you go this route and you sleep alone, don't air up the second side to 100, I had mine set that way for the first week and had a TERRIBLE time getting a good night's sleep. I dropped it to 60 (my "number" is 55) and I have NO problems sleeping now.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I finally got a mattress. I went to Gallery Furniture. I got the Sterns and Foster estate Queen Size mattress. Ultra Firm. I love my new mattress.

Thanks so much for your tips and suggestions. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.