Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RG129

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I'll most likely attempt to sell my old iMac on Craigslist for a minor profit to help pay for my new computer.

I'm used to selling things on Craigslist and meeting them in a public place to do the exchange. But for an iMac, I'm assuming the buyer would want to see that the computer is working properly and powers up appropriately. I'm uncomfortable letting some strangers into my home to check out a computer. Any advice to get around this?

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
I have sold a couple of iMacs on CL, and never let a stranger come to my home where my family is. I always meet at Starbucks or some other public place. It's a pain to carry the machine there, but a Starbucks or Panera Bread works well because there are tables and electrical outlets around. This way the buyer can power up the iMac and inspect it. Try to pick a larger Starbucks as in smaller ones tables and space is limited. Good luck!

lonewolfe

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
I agree, some people feel embarrassed to take a large computer system into a Starbucks or any other public place with free wi-fi and outlets where people normally bring laptops. But at the end of the day, if you know you're selling a good system, then you have absolutely nothing to lose.

jalf991

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2006
I've sold quite a few iMacs on CL. usually I'd offer to go to their place of business. Sometimes they purchase it with out even turning it on. Its crazy, but there are still some honest people who trust you.

Be honest and kind and everything falls into place.

Starbucks has become a mecca of Craigslist meet-ups. no one will even think twice about it.

Good luck!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I'll most likely attempt to sell my old iMac on Craigslist for a minor profit to help pay for my new computer.

I'm used to selling things on Craigslist and meeting them in a public place to do the exchange. But for an iMac, I'm assuming the buyer would want to see that the computer is working properly and powers up appropriately. I'm uncomfortable letting some strangers into my home to check out a computer. Any advice to get around this?

I was initially concerned about letting a stranger into my home as well, but something that has worked for was making the ad VERY specific and leaving no room whatsoever for ambiguity in regards to the price, condition, and meeting times. The more specific and strict you are with initial price and terms for negotiations, the fewer people will actually show interest(and normally those that do actually want to buy the product you are selling).

I've sold the majority of my items on CL by having people come by my home and there has never been an issue.

You should also keep in mind that there are also a lot of people that would initially have problems also conducting business in your home, so that would be something to understand since both parties feel slightly uncomfortable enough to make sure everything goes according to plan.

And just to add, I have sold thew following on CL from my home: TV, 15" MBP, entertainment center, iPad2, DVD players, HD DVD players, other desktop computers, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.