Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:19 AM   #1
JoEw
macrumors 6502a
 
JoEw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Buy or wait?

Really really want to buy a MacBook Air with my tax return, should I wait or just buy in a couple months? When is next refresh expected and what is expected?
__________________
Late 2009 27" iMac, i5, iPhone 5 32GB Black, 13" Macbook Air, i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, TV 3rd Generation iPod Nano iPad Air 32GB White
JoEw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:28 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
Really really want to buy a MacBook Air with my tax return, should I wait or just buy in a couple months? When is next refresh expected and what is expected?
Nobody knows when the new MBA show up, last revision was June, the next one would almost be sure to have Haswell inside but knowing Intel it will be another 5-6 months or so before they come available.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:28 AM   #3
msjones
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
If its the right time for you to buy, buy. Either way you'll still end up with a beast of a machine. Been running my base 2012 MBA 11" for 2 months now and its the best machine I've ever owned.
__________________
MacBook Pro / Nexus 4.
InfoSec guy.
msjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:29 AM   #4
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
Really really want to buy a MacBook Air with my tax return, should I wait or just buy in a couple months? When is next refresh expected and what is expected?
If you can wait. Wait. If you can't wait and need one now, buy one now. Only you know.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:07 PM   #5
knarzie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
You can always play this game, it's so much fun!

If you buy now, there might be a slight/silent update in feb/march. Or there won't and you buy then, only to see it updated in June. Or you hold out until June, buy this time you can't wait any loner, buy either way to then see a complete redesign and new processor generation in October just in time for the holiday season. On you wait until then and become a guinea pig for the beta version of the next generation of MBAs. Or you wait that one out as well and buy in feb 2014, when all initial issues of new generation have been addressed. Finally, the PERFECT TIME to buy an MBA. Honest, buy in 17 months. Or now. Depends on your needs. See where his is going?
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD
iPhone 4, 64GB, black
knarzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a
 
Beanoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 51 degrees North
if you tell me what the Lotto numbers are next weekend, i'll tell you whether to buy or wait....deal?
__________________
iPhone5 32Gb-iPad Mini 64Gb
iMac 27" 3.2Ghz i3 / 16Gb / 1Tb
MacMini 2.33GHz / 128Gb SSD / 20" ACD
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
DrumApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I'm in the same boat- really want an Air but feel like it's too dated. Can't believe Apple let the Air fall behind the competition like this. There are other ultrabooks that blow away the air right now, especially the screen.

I think I'm going to wait...
DrumApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
1member1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
After 2 years i waited for a mac computer I decided to get one in couple of weeks (Air 13, i7, 8GB).
Until this year i felt that the air is not cabple of doing things like a normal laptop and it's only good for carrying around device.
this year with ivy bridge and 500 mbps ssds the air can do a good job vs the top laptops (not gaming ones ofcourse).

I dont think that in the next upgrade you will see some dramtic changes and i'm sure it will be capable to run the next OS from apple.
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:49 PM   #9
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
If its a month or two you can wait, else just buy what you can get and for what you need NOW.

Later on, who knows you might not even need an MBA as your priorities change or you just don't feel like you need one.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:12 PM   #10
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Sounds like it's a want vs. need at this point. Wait until the next update to buy. If the new features underwhelm, you can pick up the current model at a discount from the refurb bin.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:24 PM   #11
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Bank the tax return. Earn the .2% interest for the latest 2017 version to be released. That one is sure to be nicer than the current version. Or, consider waiting to 2025.
__________________
2012 MBA 13, 2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; 2011 MBA 11, 1.8 Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 2010 MB Pro 15, 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; two iPad 3s and a mini, two iPhones and a bunch of iPods
wolfpuppies3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:37 PM   #12
yourtoys7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I got one now 2 months old, probably resell when new comes out, I want one, but don't need one till school starts next sept.
__________________
iPhone5S (Westone UM2), iTV x 2, (late 2012/ 2014), Macbook Pro Retina 15" 8/ 256 (April 27/ 2014)
yourtoys7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:59 PM   #13
sostoobad
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston
why wait ? there is ALWAYS going to be a new one down the road. Me i specifically got last yrs 11" at the 699 closeout, its great for what I want it to do. Iplan on using and will take a look at the 2013s when they come out.

The resell is strong on the air and you get to use it, then you can sell it as a 1 owner well kept machine,assuming you keep it clean. I just picked up a 2007 15" Macbook Pro, it is fine, very fast and solid. Just wanted to try a pro witout bucksing up for new..so far I like it. So dive into the pond and enjoy the water.
sostoobad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Lekaks
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Ok, here's what you do. Buy the Air today either i7 or i5 with 256 HD and 8 RAM. (I have the i7 and love it)

Purchase it on an Apple credit card with no interest for 12 months. Take your cash and buy Apple stock. Enjoy the Air and wait for the new version to hit next summer. When the new version becomes available sell your stock and cover your credit card debt. Then dump your old Air to cover the cost of the new one. The probable bump on the stock should cover the discount on the sale of the used Air.

Yes, there is risk with AAPL going down from here, but who cares? Your exposure is minimal and tell me how much fun it would be to have your Air now and the ungraded Air later with Apple paying you for the difference. I would bet you unwind from this deal to have Apple pay for Apple Care on the second machine.

Ok, so today AAPL is at $539.00 Let's see where she's at when the Haswell Airs hit the streets, whenever that is... Good luck.
__________________
13" MBA, i7 256 GB HD 8 GB RAM; 32 GB Iphone 4s
Lekaks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000
 
Confuzzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekaks View Post
Ok, here's what you do. Buy the Air today either i7 or i5 with 256 HD and 8 RAM. (I have the i7 and love it)

Purchase it on an Apple credit card with no interest for 12 months. Take your cash and buy Apple stock. Enjoy the Air and wait for the new version to hit next summer. When the new version becomes available sell your stock and cover your credit card debt. Then dump your old Air to cover the cost of the new one. The probable bump on the stock should cover the discount on the sale of the used Air.

Yes, there is risk with AAPL going down from here, but who cares? Your exposure is minimal and tell me how much fun it would be to have your Air now and the ungraded Air later with Apple paying you for the difference. I would bet you unwind from this deal to have Apple pay for Apple Care on the second machine.

Ok, so today AAPL is at $539.00 Let's see where she's at when the Haswell Airs hit the streets, whenever that is... Good luck.
^
Pretty savvy advice. Bet you don't trade in your machine though because it will blow you away. Have had the 13" 2011 since launch day and it's the best laptop I ever owned. The screen is awesome. Whatever the retina apologists may say...and remember, once you go SSD, you never go back so may make your desktop feel like a washing machine by comparison
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Jaypi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
I have a MacBookAir 2012 and it's the best device I have ever owned! Seriously I love this device.

The new MacBook Air will maybe have a better display (Retina), but in my opinion it won't release in the next 4-6months .. It's a long time, so don't wait and buy it!
__________________
 MacBook Air 13" (2012)
 iPhone5s 16GB
Jaypi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:03 PM   #17
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I could wait another month but that's it, if the release is coming in June that would be far too long for me. My old laptop wasn't going to cut it for another two quarters of school. But if you don't have any rush to get one I don't see the big deal in waiting.
coldjeanzzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
should i buy now, or wait? findingthelimit iMac 21 Aug 20, 2013 05:40 PM
Should I wait or buy now? ukflyer MacBook Pro 23 May 25, 2013 01:26 PM
Should I buy or wait? Katieg-fm Mac mini 18 Nov 17, 2012 10:27 AM
buy now or wait? jetlagged MacBook Pro 4 Nov 13, 2012 11:57 AM
4S: buy or wait? JES iPhone 6 May 31, 2012 11:38 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC