Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariotheotaku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I'm in the process of buying either a Mac Mini or an iMac and I wanted to know from those who ordered the fusion drive if the drive was capable of doing what apple claims, storing the programs you used the most on the ssd side and the ones you don't on the hard drive . I want to use my future mac for photoshop, illustrator and Lightroom. Also how does the photoshop, illustrator files and photos are stored, do they get moved to the hard drive side or do they stay on the ssd?

Thanks.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I'm in the process of buying either a Mac Mini or an iMac and I wanted to know from those who ordered the fusion drive if the drive was capable of doing what apple claims, storing the programs you used the most on the ssd side and the ones you don't on the hard drive . I want to use my future mac for photoshop, illustrator and Lightroom. Also how does the photoshop, illustrator files and photos are stored, do they get moved to the hard drive side or do they stay on the ssd?

Thanks.

Well yeah it does. If you use those applications the most they will stay on the flash memory portion of the fusion drive, as will any files you use often. This is entirely transparent to you when sitting at your computer, you'll just see a single Macintosh HD on your desktop thats appeared on every Mac for the past few decades :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.