Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Guess you couldn't be bothered to read this kycophpd - just in case you missed it...

This the OP's first Mac, reaches out to the forum for advice, has been polite about it, has been given advice, taken the 30 cycles 'on the chin' and happy to use the warranty, fair play to the guy...

Me personally? I wouldn't accept it, but that is just me when I spend £2,800+ on a laptop. However, it could be a bug in the software that Apple may release an update for, for it to register properly. It is odd someone else has had the same problem too, there may be many more out there who just do not know about battery cycles...

I have bought a brand new 2.8/16GB/768GB 15" rMBP 2013 but only after they originally sold me a 2.7/16GB/768GB 15" rMBP 2012 model! However both had 0 battery counts. (built 4 weeks ago).

My mother had a 15" 2.4/8GB/256GB refurb rMBP which had 4 battery counts on it, built start of December.

OP, like you say, you have a 1 year warranty on it, if you are happy with that and there are no other defects and believe it is new, enjoy your MBP, if you get Apple Care, you are further protected for the 3 years. Some people charge their laptops after a daily drain, if they do that daily for a month, compared to someone who has occasional use, then I am sure it will marry up in due course... :)

Thanks a lot for the support ! I'm not trolling , just trying to see if I'm getting ripped off or not . This is all new to me and I appreciated everyone's support and expertise!!!! I'm def a fan of this site and always read what's being said by others . Never joined cus I didn't have a Macbook , but am a proud owner now ! #

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Ok not to beat a dead horse lol ! Called Apple again and was told by a Technical Engineer that the 30 cycles is correct for that configuration out the box . They said the 2.5ghz with 128 drive is tested that way . That's why both new ones from the Apple store had the same exact battery cycles .

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Ok not to beat a dead horse lol ! Called Apple again and was told by a Technical Engineer that the 30 cycles is correct for that configuration out the box . They said the 2.5ghz with 128 drive is tested that way . That's why both new ones from the Apple store had the same exact battery cycles .

Weird...Have you seen 31 yet though???

How can my new early 2013 have 3 cycles out the box, but some other config (even though it's a late 2012 model) have 30??? 'sup w/ that?

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK

I just cannot believe how they would say that? It firstly does not make logical sense and secondly would they really have tested the battery by charging it 30 times? i.e. charging it fully, then draining it fully?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I have never had a new laptop with that amount of cycles personally regardless of Mac or PC (I am an IT engineer btw) which is why I cannot even guess as to a reason as to why they would say that.

Like I said before, if you are happy with sitting in front of it and using it (as in if you hadn't had looked at cycle count, you wouldn't have known any better) then enjoy your new purchase. It just means that it has been charged an extra 30 times than normal. It's running OK, there are no other issues, screen OK, backlight OK, sound OK, no dents / scratches etc.. I would just move on if you are happy to do so (which I think you kinda are anyway)...

Perhaps Apple are correct in what they are saying (if you have spoken to different people about the matter), perhaps there is a bug in the firmware which might get resolved? I think the previous chap had a good point earlier, has it moved to 31 cycles? Drain the battery fully this weekend, then charge it fully see if it ticks over...

Then again, just sod it, turn it on, use it for what you bought it for and be the proud owner of an :apple: MacBook Pro :)

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013

Yea I just hit 31 , did 50% and then charged and recharged at 50% again . Battery life seems great . I'm pulling the 7 hrs a charge like they state .

----------

I just cannot believe how they would say that? It firstly does not make logical sense and secondly would they really have tested the battery by charging it 30 times? i.e. charging it fully, then draining it fully?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I have never had a new laptop with that amount of cycles personally regardless of Mac or PC (I am an IT engineer btw) which is why I cannot even guess as to a reason as to why they would say that.

Like I said before, if you are happy with sitting in front of it and using it (as in if you hadn't had looked at cycle count, you wouldn't have known any better) then enjoy your new purchase. It just means that it has been charged an extra 30 times than normal. It's running OK, there are no other issues, screen OK, backlight OK, sound OK, no dents / scratches etc.. I would just move on if you are happy to do so (which I think you kinda are anyway)...

Perhaps Apple are correct in what they are saying (if you have spoken to different people about the matter), perhaps there is a bug in the firmware which might get resolved? I think the previous chap had a good point earlier, has it moved to 31 cycles? Drain the battery fully this weekend, then charge it fully see if it ticks over...

Then again, just sod it, turn it on, use it for what you bought it for and be the proud owner of an :apple: MacBook Pro :)

Yes after returning it once n same 30 cycle and talking to Apple Techs twice ! I'm really at ease and accept their answer as correct . Like they said , that's why both new had the same 30 cycles . Since everything else is perfect n runs amazing !!!!!! My mind is now at ease and ready to enjoy my expensive purchase .

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yea I just hit 31 , did 50% and then charged and recharged at 50% again . Battery life seems great . I'm pulling the 7 hrs a charge like they state .

----------

Yes after returning it once n same 30 cycle and talking to Apple Techs twice ! I'm really at ease and accept their answer as correct . Like they said , that's why both new had the same 30 cycles . Since everything else is perfect n runs amazing !!!!!! My mind is now at ease and ready to enjoy my expensive purchase .

So after all this effort… you decided to keep the computer? :confused:

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK

----------

Enjoy... The Jury has now retired :)

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Yes I missed the picture. Read the posts but somehow missed the picture.

I am sorry still have trouble believing this. It's his first Macbook and just joined the site but the day he buys it the first thing he does is go to check the battery cycle count??

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Yes I missed the picture. Read the posts but somehow missed the picture.

I am sorry still have trouble believing this. It's his first Macbook and just joined the site but the day he buys it the first thing he does is go to check the battery cycle count??

I always read these forums to get info on MacBooks , never joined cus I didn't have one . So I knew about battery cycles from you guys ! So I checked ! Why would I post bout an issue and keep it up after 4 pages ? I didn't make this up , I don't have a life that sad , that I gotta make up stuff to get attention . Sorry you think this is bs but that's ur opinion . I've been polite and respectful to everyone since I joined .

PNGento

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
I still can't get over the fact that a brand new laptop can have a 30 cycle battery in it right out of the box.

My brand new cMBP has a 4 cycle battery count after 25 weeks.

How can a brand new battery have 30 cycles?

I bought my rMBP 2/14/13...it is early 2013 3 GHz 13". It has 4 cycles and I've only had it off charger maybe 3 times...and never has it discharged more than 50%. At this rate, I'm now getting very paranoid and afraid to take it off charger for even short periods. I didn't think I should have to be so cautious about this. It would be one thing if all I had to worry about was at some point buying a new battery, but since the rMBP's even have the battery soldiered in, not sure how much a replacement battery (if even possible) would be, so here I am being too worried about putting too much "strain" on the battery. Should I worry about short trips off the charger? I didn't buy this to be used always tethered to the charger.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I bought my rMBP 2/14/13...it is early 2013 3 GHz 13". It has 4 cycles and I've only had it off charger maybe 3 times...and never has it discharged more than 50%. At this rate, I'm now getting very paranoid and afraid to take it off charger for even short periods. I didn't think I should have to be so cautious about this. It would be one thing if all I had to worry about was at some point buying a new battery, but since the rMBP's even have the battery soldiered in, not sure how much a replacement battery (if even possible) would be, so here I am being too worried about putting too much "strain" on the battery. Should I worry about short trips off the charger? I didn't buy this to be used always tethered to the charger.

WTH?

It's a laptop and will accumulate battery cycles over time. I charge mine, then disconnect the plug until I've run it flat (even if that's just home use). Then repeat.

I've got 4 cycles in one week but big deal. The battery is supposed to do 1000 cycles which will easily do me 3 years until I upgrade again..

Everyone needs to calm down lol.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
WTH?

It's a laptop and will accumulate battery cycles over time. I charge mine, then disconnect the plug until I've run it flat (even if that's just home use). Then repeat.

I've got 4 cycles in one week but big deal. The battery is supposed to do 1000 cycles which will easily do me 3 years until I upgrade again..

Everyone needs to calm down lol.

Bbbbbut... You're forgetting this evil battery conspiracy that Apple has on very specific models of MacBook.

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
When I first bought the rMBP on June 11th and it came in a few days later I was shocked to see my battery stats too! Mine said Age: 1.2 Months! It only had 1 cycle though so that was good! But nonetheless, might actually be new but just some battery reading flaw on it..

These are two screenshots of the first day and today..

To be honest, I just realized if you do a little bit of math and count from June to now, it should be 8 months and that's exactly what its reading.. Well, whatever I said earlier doesn't really make sense.. :/ Might have just been that Application!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-15 at 1.40.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-15 at 1.40.12 PM.png
    342 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.40.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 12.40.39 PM.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 50

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I called and told them I wanted to exchange but he asked if they could make an appt and have a genius look at it first , so I agreed . I have the tech support email so I have proof that this was a strange issue . Jus kinda bummed this is my first Mac experience and I'm going through all this crap and not even had it for a week !

Apple simply forgot to reset the battery cycles when they refurbished this machine. Coconut Battery is full of crap in regards to Battery Age.

Apple list refurbished machines if they are returned as faulty after 14 days of purchase. If a machine is returned within 14 days due to being faulty or change of mind it will be resold as new and sealed after being checked and repackaged, part of that process is reseting the system to a 'new' state. Due to how many returns Apple has within 14 days and the amount of refurbished stock available you can very quickly verify the above as true, Apple should have far more refurbished stock if every single return ever made was resold as refurbished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.