Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
I you can do that, you will become a PowerPC rockstar.

Combing through all of the Geekbench benchmarks, the 2.7 beats out the 2.3 by 200 to 300 points, which makes the 2.7 I'm typing on feel warm and fuzzy.

As for the App store, there are a few things you may want to check out. One is MacLibre. It had free software for Macs. I believe it connected to a server and retrieved a list of downloadable apps. It does not work anymore. Please, don't take any cues from the interface though, it is poor. The MAS interface is pretty good, something like that (perhaps more lightweight) would be good.

The other thing to check out is a website that is being set up right now by 2 members of Macrumors (myself and spyguy10709).

There is nothing online yet, but I have gathered and collected about 200 pieces of software that I will be uploading very soon. It would be very cool if your App store could connect to the webserver, get the descriptions, authors, date released, compatibility, display it in a beautiful Mac App Store interface, and offer it for download.

Nice new PPC site, Can't seem to create a login though -- got an error. Thanks!

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
In short, quite a while.

I don't mean to get your hopes downplayed, but I took a look at the macports version of the OpenJDK 6 (yes 6, not 7) and I'm using that as a starting point. It's a mess. This is not to say it cannot be done, only that it's a very involved project.

Any progress on the port?

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I wonder, if there are still so much leaking G5s. I mean it's like, the high PSU failure rate of some PowerMac Models. If it hasn't gone bad by now, it may be a sign that this is one of the good ones. In 2008 there were still reports of Quads leaking, I mean sometime the bad ones should have been naturally "sorted out".
Also, I wonder, if today most leakings come from used ones, that are shipped across the country. (Also, concerning PSU failure rates, I would like to know, if they are higher in the US than in e.g. France and Germany, since the US electricity "system" is said to be not that good, involving lightning conductors.)

The pessimist in me says that it's only a matter of time before all of the liquid cooled G5's fail from coolant leaks. Now with the PSU failures, if it hasn't failed by now, it's either been fixed or it isn't very likely to happen. I just, for some reason, can't put my trust on the liquid coolant as much as the PSU.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
2.7 for non SMP aware applications is the fastest PowerPC out there (http://www.barefeats.com/quad02.html)
2.5 Quad is the fastest (by far!) for SMP aware applications

For 2.3 v 2.7 debate I deliberately went for the 2.3 for reasons you mention, bigger CPU cache, Dual Core (not Dual CPU), graphics card options just 'more modern' but my main reason was to avoid the liquid cooling system which can be problematic.
This, do take into account that most PPC applications aren't SMP aware, games especially. On my dual 1.8, the CPU is the bottle neck in every single game. The graphics card is an ATI FireGL X3 flashed to a Mac Radeon X800 XT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.