Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
You inferred it was by blaming the lack of retaining the skill in tech no longer requiring the use.

To wit I reply, if someone really wanted to retain that skill they would practice it so don't blame the tech.

Why not blame it on the individual, or company policy?

----------

The "Made in <insert your country>" stuff is great if you live in the country. As a US Citizen, I like knowing that jobs are created in my country and taxes are paid in my country. This benefits my economy. Especially since I am buying the product in my country.

Now if Apple wants to manufacture in both Europe and US, go ahead. Make my **** here and there **** there.

This goes on the same priciple of paying sales tax. Do you realize how many people complain about lack of funding in school systems, or how bad the roads are and takes forever to fix. Guess what, pay your sales tax when you order stuff online and they don't collect it for you. Sales tax helps boost the economy in your home state. Those funds goes to schools, roads, parks, etc.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The ad doesn't resonate because for most people - as much as they like jobs being here in the US - ultimately it's not ad worthy. People want to see features, benefits, use cases. Otherwise it's a PSA. And while designed in the USA is true - most people know that just about everything inside is made and/or assembled on "foreign" soil. So the ad seems (at least to me) "desperate" to call attention to something that matters very little.

Designed in... works as a tag line. Or a mention. But an entire commercial. Not so much.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
it's mostly because this commercial isn't trying to sell anything, how can you judge it based on traditional metrics. The entire point of this ad was to rebuild their image which I feel has been tattered to bits by all the negative news articles they've gotten recently. They're trying to get to their roots.

They're Apple, they only create a few products a year, but all of them are great. if you hated apple, this commercial most likely isn't for you. but for normal americans who can't separate trolls from news, this commercial is a pretty big deal.

again, not selling products, most likely damage control

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.