Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:41 AM   #1
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Mac Mini thinks my iPods are corrupt

I have two iPods, 80 gb Classic and 16 gb Nano (touch with FM radio). I plug them into my 2012 Mac Mini and I get this message:

iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod.

I plug them into my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air and they are fine. I've tried both a USB port on the back of the Mini and the USB hub in my HP display with the same result. Any idea how to resolve this?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
chumawumba
Banned

Your iPods must take too many bribes.
chumawumba is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Sounds like a software problem. I know it's basic, but have you tried restarting?

Otherwise, reinstalling iTunes couldn't hurt.

Do any other apps recognise them (like Spotify)?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Cave Man
macrumors 604

So, I have made some progress. If I connect the iPods to my MacBook Air, iTunes launches and everything seems fine. When I reconnect to the Mini it also shows up fine and I can sync the iPods once. After I disconnect and reconnect, I get the same error message and I have to connect the iPods to the MBA before syncing with the Mini. This is really one bizarre problem.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
So, I have made some progress. If I connect the iPods to my MacBook Air, iTunes launches and everything seems fine. When I reconnect to the Mini it also shows up fine and I can sync the iPods once. After I disconnect and reconnect, I get the same error message and I have to connect the iPods to the MBA before syncing with the Mini. This is really one bizarre problem.
Wow, I'm at a complete loss

Sounds actually a bit more like it should be a problem on the iPod side, but then it seems a bit too much of a coincidence for them to both have the same problem.

Maybe reinstall the iPod firmware/iTunes as well? Bit of a PITA but may solve it.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a

do you have another usb cord to try?
shoulin333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Still having this problem, even after the updates to iTunes and Mountain Lion. It is truly frustrating because there is nothing wrong with my iPods.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:18 AM   #8
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Still having this problem, even after the updates to iTunes and Mountain Lion. It is truly frustrating because there is nothing wrong with my iPods.
Have you tried restoring the iPods?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

A hard restart of the iPod couldn't hurt either. Hold down on the scroll wheel along with the middle (select) button until it restarts. Otherwise, I am at a loss. That IS a bizarre problem.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Cave Man
macrumors 604

The only solution is to reboot the Mini. Once I do that it works - for a few days, then back to the same problem. It's only on my Mini, my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air sees the iPods just fine.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:44 PM   #11
birdman-IL
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The only solution is to reboot the Mini. Once I do that it works - for a few days, then back to the same problem. It's only on my Mini, my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air sees the iPods just fine.
I'm curious - have you tried to access your iPods from your Mac Mini by using a different user account?
From what you describe, I would expect that one of the iTunes related files (most likely stored in the application support folder in your user library directory) might have become corrupted or damaged.
Just a thought...
birdman-IL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod