Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:05 PM   #26
heyjordan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drivers are up on the site

It looks like the Caldigit ML drivers might be live on their site here: http://www.caldigit.com/KB/index.asp?KBID=108
heyjordan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:57 AM   #27
Melbourne Park
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Not sure how it will work, but ...

Not sure how it will work, but ... the "Astrotek PCI Express SATA III 2 Port Low Profile Card " costs in expensive Australia:

$26.00

Description is as follows:


PCI Express x1 interface, 2x SATA 6 Gb/s port, ASMedia ASM1061 chipset, supports SATA 1.5Gb/s, 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s HDDs up to 2TB each. Supports IDE programming interface register for the SATA controller, AHCI programming interface registers, error reporting, recovery & correction, port multiplier FIS based switching or command based switching. Native Command Queue(NCQ), plug & hot swap, low profile bracket included. Supports XP/Vistra/Win7/Win2000/Win2008 32&64Bit and MAC OS X 10.6 or above, Linux Kernel 2.6.19 or above.

Note that it says its Mac 10.6 compatible. Not bad for a $26 card.
Melbourne Park is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:56 PM   #28
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
+1 for Caldigit. Just installed their dual port card with the beta driver. Works perfectly for me OOB. I had the similar High Point dual port, but they still don't have a driver for it. Their quad works though. The dual is going back RMA. Their support was not all that great answering questions. Caldigit was Apple-like. Straight up answers and FAST response. By the way, despite the warning, their driver did also enable the High Point, but I am returning it anyway due to the support concerns, and the fact that some reports say it messes up sleep on the Pro. 250+ mbps read/write on a docked Vertex 4, about half that on the Vertex 2 with a little faster read. Great upgrade for the Pro IMHO.
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:59 PM   #29
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Highpoint claims their old driver runs 10.8, but it didn't for me.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:08 PM   #30
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Highpoint claims their old driver runs 10.8, but it didn't for me.
High Point doesn't have USA based or live phone support at all. You have to call the US sales office, get past the switchboard, and hope you get to the right person who has a clue about what is up with new drivers. I tried registering for support and couldn't even successfully do that. I finally carpet bombed them with calls and emails. Their only answer was that some of their products are 10.8 compatible and some are not.

The Lion driver they released in May does NOT support the dual USB 3 RocketU at all. Period. (Yet, if ever) Neither does the one for the quad trying to make the two port card work. The one person I spoke with said he expected a 1022AM driver soon after official ML release but made no promises.

The Caldigit driver does enable the High Point dual port card, but I was so disappointed in High Point's lack of support and "whatever" attitude, that I don't mind one bit paying twenty bucks more for the Caldigit card and a restocking fee to RMA the High Point. Good riddance to them at High Point. The Caldigit fired right up after a two minute install and has worked with everything I have plugged into it so far.

Last edited by xav8tor; Jul 31, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:10 PM   #31
Outrider
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newmarket ON
laCie no longer supported

After a week since posting a support query, LaCie got back to me to advise that their card(s) PCIe and ExpressCard don't work with Mountain Lion (the reason for my request), won't work with Mountain Lion and that they have no intention of fixing this.

Idiots. Never spend money on LaCie. They will let you down.
Outrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:30 PM   #32
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xav8tor View Post
High Point doesn't have USA based or live phone support at all. You have to call the US sales office, get past the switchboard, and hope you get to the right person who has a clue about what is up with new drivers. I tried registering for support and couldn't even successfully do that. I finally carpet bombed them with calls and emails. Their only answer was that some of their products are 10.8 compatible and some are not.

The Lion driver they released in May does NOT support the dual USB 3 RocketU at all. Period. (Yet, if ever) Neither does the one for the quad trying to make the two port card work. The one person I spoke with said he expected a 1022AM driver soon after official ML release but made no promises.

The Caldigit driver does enable the High Point dual port card, but I was so disappointed in High Point's lack of support and "whatever" attitude, that I don't mind one bit paying twenty bucks more for the Caldigit card and a restocking fee to RMA the High Point. Good riddance to them at High Point. The Caldigit fired right up after a two minute install and has worked with everything I have plugged into it so far.
I have caldigit drivers installed on both my mac pros now so I don't want to remove them to test the highpoint card again, but here is the response from Highpoint (I did tell them that the drivers didn't work for me)

Status: Active -> Awaiting Customer Action

we verified yesterday in our lab that our RocketU controller can support 10.8 with the current drivers from our www.hptmac.com site.

1) Is the controller detected and is the driver installed? Get us a screen capture from About this Mac > More Info > System Report > PCI Cards

2) Are you able to log into the web GUI for the RocketU controller?

3) What device(s) have you connected to the RocketU controller?

Regards

HighPoint Support Team

can you confirm that you had the RocketU controller was working with no issues in OS X 10.7?

We confirmed that the current software package from the www.hptmac.com site for the RocketU Dual controller supports OS X 10.8

http://www.hptmac.com/productfiles/b...ual_USB3.0_for...

Regards

HighPoint Support Team

EDIT: THEY FOUND A PROBLEM:

we've discovered some issues with our RocketU Dual controller in 10.8, we are in the process of fixing the bugs found.

We will keep you posted on the fix.

Regards

HighPoint Support Team

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
After a week since posting a support query, LaCie got back to me to advise that their card(s) PCIe and ExpressCard don't work with Mountain Lion (the reason for my request), won't work with Mountain Lion and that they have no intention of fixing this.

Idiots. Never spend money on LaCie. They will let you down.
Try the caldigit drivers posted above.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}

Last edited by xgman; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:36 AM   #33
arobasefr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FRANCE
Updates for Rocket-Highpoint MAC software :

http://www.hptmac.com/productfiles/bios_driver/

arobasefr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:37 PM   #34
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by arobasefr View Post
Updates for Rocket-Highpoint MAC software :

http://www.hptmac.com/productfiles/bios_driver/

This is a directory, not a support page. There is still no driver for the 1022 dual USB 3.0 card. I would avoid this vendor (HighPoint). Their support is lousy. Yes, there was at least one quirk with the analogous Caldigit card, but they are working on driver updates and you can actually get them on the phone. Mine works fine and I hear their driver will make the HighPoint card work too, but I still don't trust them. Three months and HighPoint still can't write a driver for the dual USB 3 card?

Last edited by xav8tor; Nov 2, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:55 PM   #35
CIA
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Yea, if you have no plans to update your machine to 10.8 the highpoint card works fine. But if you are a normal human, and do plan on updating to 10.8, avoid Highpoint cards like the plague.
CIA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:27 PM   #36
handheldgames
macrumors 6502a
 
handheldgames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
The latest version of multibeast at http://www.tonymacx86.com installs a ML friendly version USB 3.0 driver. The only exception I've found is that the drives are disconnected during sleep.
__________________
2009 MacPro i7-990x, XP941 SATA Express Boot, 32GB RAM, AMD 7950/GTX 680, Seiki 4k, Dual 30" Dell 3007wfp-hc, VelocityX2-Samsung840, FrescLogic USB3, Software Developer/Hardware Designer
handheldgames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #37
Raytrace
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I got the sonnet card for my 3,1 as well as the sonnet CF/SD reader and it works flawlessly. I can't connect my D800 but as it's been said, I can live with that.
__________________
2012 MP dual 2.4, 16GB RAM, 3xHP LP2475w, 2010 MBA 13", 32Gig iPhone 5, 3rd Gen iPad 64Gig_LTE, Nikon D4, D40, Canon HV30 & HF M30
Raytrace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:05 PM   #38
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldgames View Post
The only exception I've found is that the drives are disconnected during sleep.
Same thing happens on the Caldigit driver, but I bet they're working on it. I can work around that for now in exchange for the speed.
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:08 AM   #39
TomTomTuning
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldgames View Post
The latest version of multibeast at http://www.tonymacx86.com installs a ML friendly version USB 3.0 driver. The only exception I've found is that the drives are disconnected during sleep.
I'll have to try this because I'm having one heck of a time getting my generic NEC card to work. I started a thread with my issues: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1481900
__________________
2010 Mac Pro: Xeon W3690 3.46GHz Hex-Core, 3x8GB (24GB) 1333 RAM, 4GB GTX 680 FTW, 1TB SSD, AC & BT4
2010 15" MacBook Pro: 2.66GHz i7-620M Dual-Core, 4GB 1066 RAM, 1TB SSD
TomTomTuning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:27 PM   #40
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Any update to this info? I'm thinking about getting one but the account here seems to indicate that noone has had any luck with ANY brand they've tried.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:50 PM   #41
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Any update to this info? I'm thinking about getting one but the account here seems to indicate that noone has had any luck with ANY brand they've tried.
There are several people happy with the solutions nailed down toward the end of this thread. However, it does require ML 10.8.2.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:42 PM   #42
henryseiden
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Any update to this info? I'm thinking about getting one but the account here seems to indicate that noone has had any luck with ANY brand they've tried.
Three problems, but only two seems to have directly to do with the PCIe Cards, themselves.
  1. Card wake up with USB 3.0
  2. Drivers. Seem most, if not all cards, need their own drivers
  3. Interference with BT antenna (mouse/trackpad, typically, disappearing from screen or getting 'wonky' operation) when USB 3.0 devices used.

Does anybody have experience with which card(s) work best when there is no more BT issue? I am in the process of fixing the BT by replacing the internal antenna with an EXTERNAL BT ANTENNA to the internal MB card that it is hoped will solve the poor performance of the internal one.

Tried a Sonnet Allegro USB card and had major issues with the device attaching to it (Card Reader) media not on line after the drivers were installed, and the interference issue was no help. Clearly the Apple antenna design is a big hurdle to overcome.
__________________
15" MBP(6,1) late 2010 iMac 2013 MacPro (3,1) 2009 MacMini Server(6,1) 2011 AEBS 802.11n WLAN
henryseiden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:05 PM   #43
sgginc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Do any USB 3 cards support a USB 3 hub?

As far as I can ascertain none do.
Is this true?

Thanks ... Ken
sgginc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:17 PM   #44
pastrychef
macrumors 68020
 
pastrychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryseiden View Post
Three problems, but only two seems to have directly to do with the PCIe Cards, themselves.
  1. Card wake up with USB 3.0
  2. Drivers. Seem most, if not all cards, need their own drivers
  3. Interference with BT antenna (mouse/trackpad, typically, disappearing from screen or getting 'wonky' operation) when USB 3.0 devices used.

Does anybody have experience with which card(s) work best when there is no more BT issue? I am in the process of fixing the BT by replacing the internal antenna with an EXTERNAL BT ANTENNA to the internal MB card that it is hoped will solve the poor performance of the internal one.

Tried a Sonnet Allegro USB card and had major issues with the device attaching to it (Card Reader) media not on line after the drivers were installed, and the interference issue was no help. Clearly the Apple antenna design is a big hurdle to overcome.
Fresco Logic FL1009 based cards do not need drivers.

An easy way to fix bluetooth reception is to use a UBS bluetooth adaptor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgginc View Post
As far as I can ascertain none do.
Is this true?

Thanks ... Ken
FL1009 based cards work with hubs.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 3.2x8 - 48GB - GTX 680 - Crucial M4 SSD - Dell 3007WFP-HC
Alu MacBook 5,1 2GHz C2D - 8GB - 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣
pastrychef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:24 PM   #45
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgginc View Post
As far as I can ascertain none do.
Is this true?
I use a hub with my Orico pfu3-2p.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:25 PM   #46
sgginc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
FL1009 based cards work with hubs.

Thanks.
I was about to give up finding one.

Ken
sgginc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:03 PM   #47
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Pages 10 and 11 of this thread list some hubs that are verified to work by either the manufacturer or MacRumors users.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone used this PCIe SATA card? jangoforhire Mac Pro 8 Sep 27, 2013 11:20 AM
Anybody used this Firewire/PCIe card? rockinrocker Mac Pro 6 Sep 12, 2013 01:03 AM
PCIe USB card costabunny Mac Pro 2 Sep 8, 2013 06:50 PM
Checking a PCIe Card is working? InfernoUk Mac Pro 1 Jul 26, 2013 11:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC