Any Problems Downgrading From Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Any Problems Downgrading From Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard?

A friend upgraded her Core2Duo Mac Mini from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion yesterday. Unfortunately, her version of VMWare Fusion and who knows what else are not compatible. And she depends on this Mac to run her entire business...

We have until Friday to fix this. Unfortunately, she did a SuperDuper! backup immediately after doing the upgrade, so doing a restoration from a backup clone is out. She does not use Time Machine. Doing all the upgrades isn't an option with such a short time-frame.

So my plan is to reinstall Snow Leopard so that Fusion and her other apps will run normally until we can get this sorted-out. Am I likely to run into any problems with this scenario?
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:42 PM   #2
thirdeyeopen666
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
A friend upgraded her Core2Duo Mac Mini from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion yesterday. Unfortunately, her version of VMWare Fusion and who knows what else are not compatible. And she depends on this Mac to run her entire business...

We have until Friday to fix this. Unfortunately, she did a SuperDuper! backup immediately after doing the upgrade, so doing a restoration from a backup clone is out. She does not use Time Machine. Doing all the upgrades isn't an option with such a short time-frame.

So my plan is to reinstall Snow Leopard so that Fusion and her other apps will run normally until we can get this sorted-out. Am I likely to run into any problems with this scenario?
No... and you should be able to choose to migrate from that super duper backup when you first boot SL.
thirdeyeopen666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

From what I have gathered searching the Apple forum, etc. it isn't possible to install Snow Leopard without erasing the target volume. Since the backup is of the Mini's drive after she upgraded to Mountain Lion, there is no SL data to migrate back to the Mini.

The best option is to upgrade Fusion so that it can run on Mountain Lion.

I think that I have a handle on it now and I won't be able to return to this thread before the work is completed. So kindly consider this thread finished as far as I am concerned.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:31 AM   #4
thirdeyeopen666
macrumors regular

Mojo, thats unfortunate... the migration should still work even though you're going backwards. It should still copy the user data and applications without any issue.
thirdeyeopen666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeyeopen666 View Post
Mojo, thats unfortunate... the migration should still work even though you're going backwards. It should still copy the user data and applications without any issue.
The migration will not work because the backup was created after the OS upgrade, so the desired data was over-written by the backup. If the SuperDuper! clone hadn't been updated after the OS upgrade all that would be required is restoring the data from the backup.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion