Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anewman143

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
I usually use Handbrake to rip to mp4, then identify2 for metadata (it's great!) and now want to add subtitles - Subler seems like it does a great job.

Does anyone have a more streamlined flow? I think handbrake can do subs - haven't really tried that...

But if I already have the movie or tv show in mp4, identify is great for tagging and converting to m4v

Opinions?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I usually use Handbrake to rip to mp4, then identify2 for metadata (it's great!) and now want to add subtitles - Subler seems like it does a great job.

Does anyone have a more streamlined flow? I think handbrake can do subs - haven't really tried that...

But if I already have the movie or tv show in mp4, identify is great for tagging and converting to m4v

Opinions?
If you want soft subs (ability to turn on/off), then you can download an srt file and HB will mux it into the mp4. Otherwise, HB will burn-in. And unless you are multilingual, you will probably want the subs for foreign films on all the time and forced subs all the time. The only time I really want soft subs useful is if I am on a plane or riding in a car and trying to watch a movie and the dialog is hard to hear.

I also like Subler, but HB can do the same thing and it's incorporated into the workflow. What Subler can do that others can't though, is OCR a VOB/PGS subtitle to create an srt. I do that if I need soft subs and can't find an adequate srt online.

anewman143

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Yes - soft subs are the way I want to go - I'll go poking around for srt files and go from there for the files I've already processed...in the future, will take advantage of handbrake's ability to mux them in at the time I rip them...kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

Thanks!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Just make mkv's and mix all you need together with mkvtoolnix. It is the one and only great movie container. If a player doesn't play MKV it sucks. Did I just say the Apple TV sucks? Well I guess so.... But hey, it is not in the TS own list, so probably no one is offended here.

BTW, are you ripping DVD's.... ? Those old-fashioned discs with non-native framerates and weird 2/3 interlaced frames in the USA or 4% speedup in PAL countries? Even crap YIFY dowloads are faster downloaded than DVD's are ripped and look way better.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yes - soft subs are the way I want to go - I'll go poking around for srt files and go from there for the files I've already processed...in the future, will take advantage of handbrake's ability to mux them in at the time I rip them...kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

Thanks!

If you are going soft subs, use Subfix to sync the .SRT to the movie. You can then use any .SRT version without worrying about finding the correct .SRT version that will sync with your movie.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If you are going soft subs, use Subfix to sync the .SRT to the movie. You can then use any .SRT version without worrying about finding the correct .SRT version that will sync with your movie.
Sync (as long it is a constant offset) can also be adjusted in HB and Subler. I have done several movies with downloaded subtitles and just adjusting the offset in either one of those apps has been all that was needed. Never used Subfix, though. It might be a good program, though.

Edit: Looks interesting and got good ratings, will give it a try next time I do a downloaded srt. Thanks for the tip.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sync (as long it is a constant offset) can also be adjusted in HB and Subler. I have done several movies with downloaded subtitles and just adjusting the offset in either one of those apps has been all that was needed. Never used Subfix, though. It might be a good program, though.

Edit: Looks interesting and got good ratings, will give it a try next time I do a downloaded srt. Thanks for the tip.

I use subfix when the .SRT was generated using a different FPS then the movie was ripped at (an offset will not fix the .SRT). I used to hunt around for the correct .SRT version but now I just grab any .SRT version and quickly adjust the timing of the .SRT :D.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Thank you, thank you for the SubFix link. Subs with different FPS have bugged me for years and years. Windows is full of excellent sub fixers but I didn't want to maintain a Windows VM just to run a subtitle fixer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.