Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
just a sanity check that all is fine according to Istat....

please someone who knows let me know!

ram seems strange? is that normal?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 00.07.49.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 00.07.49.png
    49 KB · Views: 357

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Load the CPU at 100% for 1h and check temps again. Then you're allowed to freak out. :D

up to what temperature would you consider "normal" I intend to do fairly heavy music production on this machine. so wanting to be able to monitor this!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
dunno...guess i just was wondering why the RAM is constantly showing a load of it in use ! haha.
That's what your RAM is there for: to be used. OS X will use whatever RAM is available.
up to what temperature would you consider "normal" I intend to do fairly heavy music production on this machine. so wanting to be able to monitor this!
You don't really have to monitor temps, as your Mac does that for you. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
(PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

CyAnMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Not normal at all.

There's no temperature rating for;

GPU
GPU Diode
GPU Heatsink

*snif snif*
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.