Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
iMovie 11 - hasn't seen any major updates or fixes in quite a while. Besides no support for AVCHD - M2T files and a broken direct upload to YouTube what else needs to be fixed or updated?

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
It's true that FCPX has capabilities leaps and bounds over iMovie and I'd prefer to use it (by far) given the choice, but perhaps $300 is beyond OP's budget.

iMovie is languishing in the same world as the other iLife and iWork apps. I'm hoping for some significant updates this year, but who knows what goes on behind the curtain.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
D e a d

It's true that FCPX has capabilities leaps and bounds over iMovie and I'd prefer to use it (by far) given the choice, but perhaps $300 is beyond OP's budget.

iMovie is languishing in the same world as the other iLife and iWork apps. I'm hoping for some significant updates this year, but who knows what goes on behind the curtain.
I was told by AppleCare on the phone that Apple no longer supports iMovie,
Apple has decided that computer based video editing and burning on DVD
is obsolete.
I use iMovie 6 and it is simple...editing is rather simple and when you are done you easily export to iDVD to put the movie on a disc.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Apple seems to have reached the point of moving on. Yes i have heard rumours on the same theme.
All i can say. One day some person at Apple will think on the man in the street.
All they can see is $$$$$$ and ££££££££:mad::mad::mad:

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
no iMovie support

is obsolete.
I use iMovie 6 and it is simple...editing is rather simple and when you are done you easily export to iDVD to put the movie on a disc.

When is Apple going to announce publicly that they no longer support iMovie? I guess thats the same for all iLife and iWork packages?:(

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
is obsolete.

iMovie 6 is likely not supported any longer. They came out with iMove '11 which they continue to support.

iDVD is EOLed (end of life) since Apple has said that they believe physical optical media obsolete (CD/DVD/Bluray) and feel that the future is online distribution. That doesn't mean that computer-based video editing is obsolete. Anything but!

starbux48

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
Apple does support iMovie

Apple still supports iMovie as it is still an available product through the Mac App Store as well as iPhoto and Garageband. iDvd is also still supported even though it was discontinued in 2011 and since then has not been installed on new Mac computers.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Just cast your minds back to FCP-7. A very expensive editing software. Then suddenly out of the blue came FCP-X at a cheaper price.
iMovie has always climbed the ladder from iMovie2 to 11.
iMovie i think will stay in its new computers or they may pull the plug and concentrate on the FCP software.
Also keep your ears open for the NAB show in Las Vegas.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
is obsolete.

its almost like a repeat of iWeb and iDVD. And yet FCP X is the direct step up from iMovie. I'm still very pissed off about iDVD and the whole iLife program. It was REALLY the perfect digital suite and now it's just rotting away.

And "yes" I did try FCP X and I like it very much even though the DVD output options are a little lite, but the quality is superior to iDVD (which I still use!) and the learning curve is a gentle one.

Its just that the bulk of my videos are short sports videos and I have simple requirements and don't need "everything" FCP offers. What I do need is a fast lite program so I can put out quantity.

I just bought Elements 11 and man, the Slow motion - Time remapping Blows iMovies' slow motion effect away. AND KEY FRAMES!

I'm so ticked off that Apple would let one of their greatest programs slide into the broken program dump. Im just barely hanging on, hoping a major update is just around the corner.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
We can rant and rave, but............Apple are not hearing us folks.:mad:
That hits it on the head...they know they have devotés who fall in line with every Apple idea and concept...
Apple is NOT improving basic functions such as copy/paste that has not changed since OS8 in the 1990'a. Nor improving apple mail....Nor improving
Safari to make it more intuitive and deleting the esoteric selections.
To many, Apple is a religion and as such, kneel at the altar of the Apple Store.
To me is just a company selling a product, like Marantz, Sony et al but I am in the minority.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm hopeful that we will see (at least) one more version of iMovie for Mac. iMovie for iOS is fairly new. I'd like to see more integration between the Mac and iOS versions. Also like to see more effects (basic rotoscoping).

FCP X has grown a bit from it's original bad launch. I'm not sure it will ever be what the legacy FCP was, but time will tell. Apple releasing a new Mac Pro could help there. As pro users may see it as Apple still being invested in the video editing market.

I am one who still does need DVD's. And my iDVD broke recently (lost themes?) But, I'm also still waiting for the successor to iDVD...something that would allow you to create iTunes LP (do those still exist?) or HTML 5 based menus similar to iDVD menus.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I thought FCPX was the update to iMovie?

Everyone I know who was on FCP7 is either still on 7, or moved on to Premiere or Avid. FCPX is left for those people who want more from iLife.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
iDVD is EOLed (end of life) since Apple has said that they believe physical optical media obsolete (CD/DVD/Bluray) and feel that the future is online distribution.

OK, Apple is actually just plain stupid there. They have no idea that, according to David Pogue (as of 2010), that there are around 120 million American families that are unable to view online video, as they don't have high-speed Internet access or even ANY Internet access at all, but they would most likely have DVD players. Apple thinking DVDs are like vinyl records is completely stupid.

If iLife ever gets updated for OS X again, I would like to see them merge all of iDVD's features into iMovie at least.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
If iLife ever gets updated for OS X again, I would like to see them merge all of iDVD's features into iMovie at least.

YES! That would be great!

Along with better picture quality on burned DVD's and better Slow motion effects. Just do this and I'll be happy for years.

Oh incidentally, DVD and Blu Ray product are selling briskly. The decision to remove optical drives from Mac mini's and iMacs was absolutely premature and based more on driving sales to iTunes than market research.

bimmzy

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
London
iMovie 11 - hasn't seen any major updates or fixes in quite a while. Besides no support for AVCHD - M2T files and a broken direct upload to YouTube what else needs to be fixed or updated?

My suspicion is that the new imovie (when it comes) will be a cut down version of fcp x.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Seems like most things related to the Mac. Apple is concentrating too much on iOS to care. At the same time, Logic (2009) and Aperture (2010) are due for updates. So I wouldn't be surprised to see those two get a big update before iPhoto or GarageBand get touched. My guess is that Apple wants to make a big bang at their next Mac event. -> Finally updated Mac Pro, announcement of the next version of OS X, new version of Logic, new version of Aperture, some other fix to FCPX and some evangelisation that it doesn't suck, a possible rethink of the laptop lines then finally revamped iLife and iWork.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if all we get is an iPhone 5s with increased ram, an iPad mini with retina display and another incarnation of iWeb that will suck just as much.

Also, I have a hard time seeing how they can cut down FCPX and keep enough features in iMovie or put to much into iMovie and FCPX won't be worth it's price.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
QuickTime Pro

... QuickTime Pro 6 years ago had 90% of the functionality I regularly needed and iMove was trivial to use on occasion without having to be totally invested in it to use it when one needed just a little more than what QTPro offered (transitions, simple fun effects, clean-up of video/audio).

Now ... with every release of iMovie ... I cringe at what I am going to see when I open it a few times per year (usually ruins my Christmas readying videos for the family). A see a sad, slow, downward spiral ... they are lost.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
We can keep posting on this subject. But at present iMovie is stable and those the job. I like the trailer software and its simplicity as a beginners tool for editing. Thanks to iMovie i can work with confident in FCP-X.
No matter how much we shout, why.... if.....when... Apple hold the cards and if you have the cash to splash every-time they come out with a new software then you will have no problem.
I know have invested all i will as my editing software those the job. I would by a dictating version of editing. Safes me a lot of times and my video would look the bees knees.
I think Apple will roll out better versions in the editing software department.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.