Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nariza7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I am not sure if this is supposed to happen, but sometimes when I close an app and try to open it again by double clicking it on the dock, it doesn't open. I have to right click it and choose quit. Then start the app again.

For instance, I have Mx player out with a movie playing. I would click the red x circle on the top left of the window. Then when I want to just open mx player by double clicking it on the dock, it doesnt open. If I command+tab, I can see the icon there.

Same with Audacity and Logic Pro. I open the app, then click the red circle x to close it. When I double click it on the dock, nothing happens. I have to quit then start it up again.

For Itunes and Mac App store, they come up after I click the red x circle, so here it works fine. I am just not sure if there are specific apps that won't open up again unless they are "quit" from first.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Maybe you can select something to open under Window? Or hit CMD-1, that usually opens the 'main' window.

The red orb doesn't actually quit the app, in case you weren't aware. It just closes the window.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I am not sure if this is supposed to happen, but sometimes when I close an app and try to open it again by double clicking it on the dock, it doesn't open. I have to right click it and choose quit. Then start the app again.

For instance, I have Mx player out with a movie playing. I would click the red x circle on the top left of the window. Then when I want to just open mx player by double clicking it on the dock, it doesnt open. If I command+tab, I can see the icon there.

Same with Audacity and Logic Pro. I open the app, then click the red circle x to close it. When I double click it on the dock, nothing happens. I have to quit then start it up again.

For Itunes and Mac App store, they come up after I click the red x circle, so here it works fine. I am just not sure if there are specific apps that won't open up again unless they are "quit" from first.

First - single clicking apps on the doc works, no need to double click.

Second - as Pakaku mentioned, clicking the red x doesn't quit the program, just closes that window. this makes sense for programs like Safari or Word where you might have multiple windows open. Less sense for programs like Mx Player or Mail but that's the system. i don't think i ever use the red x for what it's worth...occasionally in chrome to close an entire window, but otherwise i just command-q out of a program.

Either way, some programs will open the "main" window there isn't one open already if you click the dock icon, some won't.

For example if you click the red x in Mail you haven't quit the program. Clicking the Mail icon on the dock will just open up the mailbox again.
Same goes for Chrome or safari - if there is a window open clicking the icon will bring it to the front, if there's isn't it will bring it to the front and open a new window.

i don't use the programs you mentioned, but try poking around the top left menu next to the apple icon or the file menu and see if there is a keyboard shortcut to open up another window...command N would be my first guess.

nariza7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I think it might just be the specific programs that I use then. I was quite sure clicking the red x circle didnt quit the program since I had to right click the app to actually quit it. I just expected a new or previous window or something to show up instead of just blinking and not doing anything when it was still on.

Like clicking the red x circle on mx player while im playing a movie closes the window. I'd expect it to open up to the movie again when I click on the app in the dock. Unfortunately, it does not open again, but the app icon just blinks. It doesn't even bounce. Command+tab shows that Mxplayer is still open, but nothing happens when I click on it in dock. I have to right click and quit it, then start up the file from finder again. I find this quite tedious compared to just clicking on the app in the dock to reopen it.

Same with Audacity. I expected it to open up to a new window at least, but nothing happens.

Must be my apps then that don't have this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.