Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
A computer these days is a consumer item. If you need a computer then you need a computer and you buy one. If you can wait then you do not need a computer.

These days upgrades are marketing pushed gimmicks that are 99% of the times not essential......

Engali

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
Would the expected graphics card update make the new, upcoming Mac Minis better at for computer games than the 2011 MC816A/LL one with the AMD Raedon card? I heard the 2012 ones still didn't beat out the AMD Raedon Mac Mini in computer game performance.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
I was going to go for the next mini when it came out but decided instead to up my 2011 model with the amd card to 16g two days ago. I didn't think you could go above 8g but all is well. Should be good for a while longer. I won't even consider getting a new mini now unless this one fails or the next release is significantly improved.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
A computer these days is a consumer item. If you need a computer then you need a computer and you buy one. If you can wait then you do not need a computer.

These days upgrades are marketing pushed gimmicks that are 99% of the times not essential......

I agree...but....I'd prefer a Haswell Mac mini with better graphics and PCI-e SSD, wi-fi ac;) rather than a current one...simply, I am waiting until late October and see...

domenicop

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
I will wait till late October. As others have said, there won't be that much of I a noticeable improvement, but I'm sure all that what's coming, will be available at the same price as now, and there is no reason not to wait 1-2 months also. I would wait even if I knew that new Mac mini will be out at February 14. It would be nice to know though :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I had an emergency due to what the Apple genius called impending doom for my ailing old MBP. Ended up with a refurb Mini. Saved $100! Doesn't look like it was ever touched.

Not the top loaded configuration, but still decently fast and certainly good enough for Aperture which is my most taxing computer work. Might double up on the memory some day, but not sure even that would really make a noticeable difference.

So, normally I would have waited but I had the monitor, keyboard and track pad and with the refurb this was the best modern computer I could get for the price and really a quite nice one.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Would the expected graphics card update make the new, upcoming Mac Minis better at for computer games than the 2011 MC816A/LL one with the AMD Raedon card? I heard the 2012 ones still didn't beat out the AMD Raedon Mac Mini in computer game performance.

Most likely. The HD4000 was close, but slightly worse than the Radeon card, so when the graphics are updated it should be better. It remains unseen how much better, because there are a variety of graphics solutions available with Haswell.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Look into ebay, I brought a 2012 i7 mini for cheap, apparently the seller screwed up the OS and he thought the mini was broken, haha, one man's lost is another's gain :) I installed OSX Mavericks DP, put in 16 G of Ram and added two 500G SSDs, it's just an awesome little wonder! :) As for Haswell mini, I doubt Apple will have an update this year, they are too busy on the New Mac Pro.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I will wait till late October. As others have said, there won't be that much of I a noticeable improvement, but I'm sure all that what's coming, will be available at the same price as now, and there is no reason not to wait 1-2 months also. I would wait even if I knew that new Mac mini will be out at February 14. It would be nice to know though :)

Take your time and save your money for an i7 version (with PCI-e SSD). Otherwise, new iMacs are good choice, too...

domenicop

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
Take your time and save your money for an i7 version (with PCI-e SSD). Otherwise, new iMacs are good choice, too...

I am going to buy a Mac Mini to substitute my mid-2010 iMac (i7, 12GB).
The only reason for that are my eyes.
I will buy a matte 24" display and get rid of the ultra-glossy 27" that's burning my retina day by day, year after year.
I'm sorry to do that but I couldn't find any better solution to de-glossyfy the display.
Also, I think the 27" are playing their role in this thing.

EDIT: Returning to the main topic of the conversation (rumors :D), I think there will be bigger update then what I though. If otherwise, Apple would have upgraded the Mac Mini when the iMac where upgraded with the Haswell CPUs.
Can't wait to see what's behind the scenes :)

Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I think the Mini is on a 400-day cycle, so the next update will be Spring 2014 with Haswell. I waited forever for the 2012, then it comes out with the HDMI issue, returned it, and bought a refurb 2011. So all that waiting was for nothing. Beware, there's a WiFi 802.11ac issue with the updated Airs, so before I buy another Apple product, I want to make sure that's been resolved (it looks like a Broadcom issue that so far hasn't been fixed, may be an issue in silicon).

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I think the Mini is on a 400-day cycle, so the next update will be Spring 2014 with Haswell. I waited forever for the 2012, then it comes out with the HDMI issue, returned it, and bought a refurb 2011. So all that waiting was for nothing. Beware, there's a WiFi 802.11ac issue with the updated Airs, so before I buy another Apple product, I want to make sure that's been resolved (it looks like a Broadcom issue that so far hasn't been fixed, may be an issue in silicon).

Even so, if I have got a dual band Wi-Fi N router, what sort of connection problems may I expect? Please, give more details...

PS: New iMacs include: Broadcom BCM4360KML1G 5G WiFi 3-stream 802.11ac gigabit transceiver and three Skyworks SE5516 : dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN front-end modules.

Last edited:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
do you have a good monitor? how many inches?

I would suggest

- 24.1"
- 1920 × 1200 resolution
- IPS Panel

do you agree?

I'd be using a 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Probably one of the best Dell's ever made. My present Mac Mini is used as my bedroom HTPC. I have that connected to a 40" Samsung HDTV. Works incredibly well

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I'd be using a 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Probably one of the best Dell's ever made. My present Mac Mini is used as my bedroom HTPC. I have that connected to a 40" Samsung HDTV. Works incredibly well

I use my 2011 base mini (upgraded to 8gb ram) as an HTPC for a 55" 1080p 3D plasma and it has zero problems in this capacity. It plays media locally as well as streaming to a roku XD.

When I first got it, I was still occasionally playing graphical games and it even managed to handle that mostly on the big screen.

Incredible workhorses packed into a convenient, small shell.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I use my 2011 base mini (upgraded to 8gb ram) as an HTPC for a 55" 1080p 3D plasma and it has zero problems in this capacity. It plays media locally as well as streaming to a roku XD.

When I first got it, I was still occasionally playing graphical games and it even managed to handle that mostly on the big screen.

Incredible workhorses packed into a convenient, small shell.

I love my 2011 base Mac Mini. Although I don't play games on it, it handles everything I throw at it without a hiccup. BTW, this is my 3rd Mini. I previously had a 2007 1.83 GHz with 2 gigs of ram and a 320gb HD. Before that I had a G4, 1.25 GHz Mini. I forget all the specs on that one although I do remember it not being a speed demon.. lol
I'm looking forward to the next gen. I have the money put aside for it. Can't wait!

My present Mac Mini setup

DSC_5797_zps8e9ab4c6.jpg

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
Next Mac mini release? Or buy now

This is my only Mac Mini but if it died tomorrow I would replace it on the spot. I have become too used to having a seem less HTPC setup.

I access the Mini and all of my media collection with only a Logitech remote. I rarely have to touch my BT keyboard and trackpad with the use of the remote and screen sharing from my MBP.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
attachment.php

This is my setup.... :D

Notice there is no mini here ..... :(

If Apple would now please .... my MBP is tired of being all closed up ..... :D

Attachments

• Home Setup.jpg
    Home Setup.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,244

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I am going to buy a Mac Mini to substitute my mid-2010 iMac (i7, 12GB).
The only reason for that are my eyes.
I will buy a matte 24" display and get rid of the ultra-glossy 27" that's burning my retina day by day, year after year.
I'm sorry to do that but I couldn't find any better solution to de-glossyfy the display.
Also, I think the 27" are playing their role in this thing.

EDIT: Returning to the main topic of the conversation (rumors :D), I think there will be bigger update then what I though. If otherwise, Apple would have upgraded the Mac Mini when the iMac where upgraded with the Haswell CPUs.
Can't wait to see what's behind the scenes :)

I've written about this before - I changed my monitor to one that is using current control for the brightness of the screen rather than pulse width modulation. If the PMW frequency has been set too low then you'll notice flicker and if it has been set just above flicker then some people can get got sore / dry eyes and / or headaches (suffered from all of this). With the Dell U2913WM and the Dell U2713H I have no more problems. The U2713H is a wide gamut screen and the colors are really fantastic but for day to day office use (non photographic stuff) I much prefer the U2913WM. Less tilting of the head and less sore neck.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I've written about this before - I changed my monitor to one that is using current control for the brightness of the screen rather than pulse width modulation. If the PMW frequency has been set too low then you'll notice flicker and if it has been set just above flicker then some people can get got sore / dry eyes and / or headaches (suffered from all of this). With the Dell U2913WM and the Dell U2713H I have no more problems. The U2713H is a wide gamut screen and the colors are really fantastic but for day to day office use (non photographic stuff) I much prefer the U2913WM. Less tilting of the head and less sore neck.

I would suggest these IPS 24'' monitors with 1920 x 1200 res. and wonderful brightness...

http://www.eizo.com/na/products/flexscan/ev2436w/index.html#tab02

(EIZO)

http://www.iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-xb2485wsu-1/

(IIYAMA)

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PA248Q/#overview

(ASUS)

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/ea244wmi-bk?comparison=1

(NEC)

http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2411pt/specifications/

(BenQ)

do you want to see more? ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

domenicop

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
no new mac mini from apple today :(

----------

I read about this before, can you suggest me a screen that takes into account what you said and is ~24"?

Do these one take into account the backlight problem exposed above?

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
no new mac mini from apple today :(

----------

Do these one take into account the backlight problem exposed above?

First of all, don't panic! APPLE is going to update Mac Mini in the next couple of weeks, silently...

Generally speaking, LCD technology is appearing light bleeding and IR issues.

APPLE decided to use LG IPS panels.....their bad quality control in China brought to customers some defective monitors...if you choose APPLE extended warranty, you will be fine! BUT...this isn't a "nice game"....

My recommendation is to avoid LG panels ....if you prefer Korean panels, choose Samsung...more reliable! (in my opinion).

As far as I know, DELL uses LG panels, too...

Otherwise, my suggested panels are very good, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.