Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:35 AM   #1
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Battery Life: iPads versus Nexus

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...nexus-vs-ipad/

iPad (4th gen): 13.1
iPad Mini: 12.1
Nexus 10: 8.4
Nexus 7: 10.1
iPad (3rd gen): 11.4
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
No surprise there, Apple has always been good with battery life.

Now if we could get them back on top of the capacity game...
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:57 AM   #3
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
yeah but nexus 10 is the same weight as ipad 2 with a higher res screen than ipad 4. Depends if you find the ipad 3/4 weight intrusive

nexus 7 is smaller so it has a smaller battery but is pushing a higher res screen.

battery time for those nexus tabs is very acceptable. Good job

cant say the same about the nexus 4 - battery looks terrible hope they can fix it. (lasts about half as long as iphone 5)

Last edited by sneaky butcher; Nov 7, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
sneaky butcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I've never understood why some people are so interested in comparing specs of products they don't intend to buy. What if the competing brand "won"? Would people suddenly decide to ditch ios despite it being their preferred ecosystem?
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:07 AM   #5
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky butcher View Post
yeah but nexus 10 is the same weight as ipad 2 with a higher res screen than ipad 4. Depends if you find the ipad 3/4 weight intrusive

nexus 7 is smaller so it has a smaller battery but is pushing a higher res screen.

battery time for those nexus tabs is very acceptable. Good job

cant say the same about the nexus 4 battery looks terrible hope they can fix it. (lasts about half as long as iphone 5)
Just my 2 Cents - the Nexus 10 is lighter than the iPad 3/4, yes... But only by about 2 US Cents (AKA pennies - but the USA doesn't have "pennies" they're officially Cents)
It's higher res, yes... But only by about 100x100 pixels...
Nexus 7 has a higher res screen, yes... but only by about 120x100 more pixels...

I can do this all day.
Nexus wins on spec, but not in real-life usage. My nexus 7 can't go for more than 2 days of light usage, but I still get 3-4 days of light usage on my 3 1/2 year old iPad 1.

Nexii are decent devices, but they can't hold a candle to Apple products.
spyguy10709 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Just my 2 Cents - the Nexus 10 is lighter than the iPad 3/4, yes... But only by about 2 US Cents (AKA pennies - but the USA doesn't have "pennies" they're officially Cents)
It's higher res, yes... But only by about 100x100 pixels...
Nexus 7 has a higher res screen, yes... but only by about 120x100 more pixels...

I can do this all day.
Nexus wins on spec, but not in real-life usage. My nexus 7 can't go for more than 2 days of light usage, but I still get 3-4 days of light usage on my 3 1/2 year old iPad 1.

Nexii are decent devices, but they can't hold a candle to Apple products.
i think you need to look up how much stuff weighs.

im sure those wifi nexus owners will struggle by with higher res screen, gps, NFC and more memory. All the while paying 70% less
sneaky butcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:36 AM   #7
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky butcher View Post
i think you need to look up how much stuff weighs.

im sure those wifi nexus owners will struggle by with higher res screen, gps, NFC and more memory. All the while paying 70% less
What? I think you need to look up 2 things - the first being grammar, and the second being features of a product.

The iPad 3 is 652 grams, the Nexus 10 is 621. A US Cent is 6 grams. So perhaps 5 pennies instead.

The WiFi Nexus 10 does not cost 70% less, it does not have more memory (it has more RAM - but it's much less effective in using it), it does not have true GPS and it might not have NFC (not sure... but who cares about NFC in a tablet - You're going to use a 10 inch tablet as your wallet? Go ahead)
spyguy10709 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
I've never understood why some people are so interested in comparing specs of products they don't intend to buy. What if the competing brand "won"? Would people suddenly decide to ditch ios despite it being their preferred ecosystem?
Seems like you are making broad assumptions.

What makes you think I don't intend on buying a nexus tablet?

I've own 2 android tablets and both have horrible battery life. Less than half of that of my iPad.

Should people stop comparing products and just buy products blindly?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky butcher View Post
i think you need to look up how much stuff weighs.

im sure those wifi nexus owners will struggle by with higher res screen, gps, NFC and more memory. All the while paying 70% less
Cost 70% less?

So if the iPad 4 16GB is $499, the Nexus 10 16GB must cost $149.
So if the iPad Mini 16GB is $329, the Nexus 7 16GB must cost $99.

Come on. Wake up.
hyteckit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816
 
Aluminum213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
iPad 4 is not getting 13 hours of battery, that's BS
__________________

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:09 AM   #10
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Seems like you are making broad assumptions.

What makes you think I don't intend on buying a nexus tablet?

I've own 2 android tablets and both have horrible battery life. Less than half of that of my iPad.

Should people stop comparing products and just buy products blindly?
You linked an article link with battery numbers and zero questions or statements so you can't act surprised when nobody knows what your point is. You know how you stop people from making broad assumptions? You actually express what your intention is in the first post.

So, is your intention REALLY to discuss your next Android tablet? If it is then start asking questions because those are both fantastic tablets for Android fans. But if your intention is to prove superiority of the iPad then all you're doing is encouraging pointless negativity against a product that most people here have no intention on buying.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:11 AM   #11
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Seems like you are making broad assumptions.

What makes you think I don't intend on buying a nexus tablet?

I've own 2 android tablets and both have horrible battery life. Less than half of that of my iPad.

Should people stop comparing products and just buy products blindly?

----------



Cost 70% less?

So if the iPad 4 16GB is $499, the Nexus 10 16GB must cost $149.
So if the iPad Mini 16GB is $329, the Nexus 7 16GB must cost $99.

Come on. Wake up.
Was talking about the nexus 7

UK prices

Nexus 7 32GB 3G = 249
Ipad Mini 32GB 3G = 449

That's a 80% increase on price so i actually underestimated the difference.

Nexus 7 wifi 32GB = 199
Ipad Mini wifi 32gb = 349

Thats a 75% increase on price and you dont even get gps with the ipad mini.

Come on. wake up.

Last edited by sneaky butcher; Nov 7, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
sneaky butcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:14 AM   #12
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Seems like you are making broad assumptions.

What makes you think I don't intend on buying a nexus tablet?

I've own 2 android tablets and both have horrible battery life. Less than half of that of my iPad.

Should people stop comparing products and just buy products blindly?
Likewise, and I completely agree - I buy the products that suit my needs at the time, and reviews are an important part of that process.

I love my Nexus 7 because of what it gives me for $199. But, if the battery life were significantly worse than it is, or the screen were blurry, or the CPU were underpowered, I'd not have weighed the cost as much and likely would not have bought it. The fact I didn't buy this iPad Mini (yet) doesn't mean I won't buy the next one.

It's ridiculous to take the stance that X product line is always better than Y product line, and then to cherry pick things to support that. In the case of tablets, there are clear advantages to a number of different lines, and it's up to the individual consumer to decide which product meets his or her needs at a given time.

BTW, I think the 7 is a steal. I'm not as enamored with the 10, because I'm not convinced saving $100 is worth not having the iOS experience in a tablet of that size. So, while I'll defend buying a 7 over a Mini, I'd equally defend (were I in the market) buying an iPad 4 over a Nexus 10. Blind loyalty is pointless.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:19 AM   #13
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
You linked an article link with battery numbers and zero questions or statements so you can't act surprised when nobody knows what your point is. You know how you stop people from making broad assumptions? You actually express what your intention is in the first post.

So, is your intention REALLY to discuss your next Android tablet? Because if it is then start asking questions. But if your intention is to prove the iPads superiority then whats the point when everyone here already knows it?
Don't be silly. Why does it matter what my intentions are? You think I just post this info for myself?

I post the info for everyone who is interested, regardless of what my intentions are.

You just went out of your way to make broad assumptions about everyone on this forum who might be interested in battery life data comparing the iPads and Nexus.

If you don't care, don't bother posting on this thread.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky butcher View Post
Was talking about the nexus 7

UK prices

Nexus 7 32GB 3G = 249
Ipad Mini 32GB 3G = 449

That's a 80% increase on price so i actually underestimated the difference.

Nexus 7 wifi 32GB = 199
Ipad Mini wifi 32gb = 349

Thats a 75% increase on price and you dont even get gps with the ipad mini.

Come on. wake up.
You still are not paying 70% less.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Scott6666
macrumors 65816
 
Scott6666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
As much as I don't love my Nexus 7, I don't find the battery life to be poor. Not enough to be a reason not to purchase (if you ignore all the other stuff!)
__________________
13" MB Air i5 2011, iPhone 4S 64G, iPad3 4G 64, 27" i5 iMac (getting slow) || basement museum: iPhone 1, Apple IIe, Mac SE, iPad1 3G 64 || Apple Stock.
Scott6666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Paito
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
With the new update I'm getting 13+ of battery life on my ipad 3.
__________________
iPhone 5S Black - 16 GB ( T-Mobile ) ; AirPort Express ( 2nd Gen ) ; Apple TV ( 3rd Gen )
Paito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:42 AM   #16
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You still are not paying 70% less.
Well now i've made it clear as long you agree its a 70%+ increase on price thats fine with me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
What? I think you need to look up 2 things - the first being grammar, and the second being features of a product.

The iPad 3 is 652 grams, the Nexus 10 is 621. A US Cent is 6 grams. So perhaps 5 pennies instead.

The WiFi Nexus 10 does not cost 70% less, it does not have more memory (it has more RAM - but it's much less effective in using it), it does not have true GPS and it might not have NFC (not sure... but who cares about NFC in a tablet - You're going to use a 10 inch tablet as your wallet? Go ahead)
according to wiki the nexus 10 weighs 603 grammes. Ipad 3 650grammes. Would you like a 3rd try on how many cents the weight difference is?

As stated in my previous post the Ipad mini is 70%+ more expensive than nexus 7 in the UK.
sneaky butcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:54 AM   #17
hyteckit
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky butcher View Post
Well now i've made it clear as long you agree its a 70%+ increase on price thats fine with me. [COLOR="#808080"]
Just pointing out that you are wrong about Nexus costing 70% less.

The Nexus 7 is a good deal.

Too bad you are paying 60% more for the Nexus 7 than us Americans.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, Nexus 4 versus a google edition Galaxy S 4 sentinelsx Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 60 May 24, 2013 03:05 PM
Nexus 4 Battery Life Question strausd Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 19 Nov 27, 2012 04:34 AM
Galaxy Nexus battery life - is it just me? pmontanarella Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 11 Nov 21, 2012 03:19 PM
iPad: Battery life on Retina iPads TC03 iPad 21 Nov 19, 2012 11:25 PM
Do Kindle Fire HD/Google Nexus devices have yellow screen tint problems like iPads... HarryWarden Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 5 Nov 8, 2012 08:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC