Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Is the picture really clear on 720p and 1080p.videos, especially on YouTube

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Is the picture really clear on 720p and 1080p.videos, especially on YouTube

Yup, always a joy for short clips, the screen is amazing for that. Holding it for 2 hours for a movie is another thing though.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
For extended viewing, I'd recommend a case that you can prop. Holding the iPad overhead while laying down is tiring after about 30 minutes max. Sitting down with the ipad on your lap isn't bad, however.

Edit: to answer the OP's question. The videos are nice and crisp. I was a little worried too that they may seem stretched or grainy and they are not. Only thing on the iPad vs the iPhone 5 is the perception that its not "full screen" as it is a 4:3 ratio, not 16:9

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
The videos are extremely crisp and vibrant. You should play around with some iPads in the Apple store if you're really that curious. It would probably be a good idea to get some first hand experience with your device before you commit to buying it anyways -- but I guess that goes without saying.

But yes, the retina display is nothing short of breathtaking. I enjoy watching 720p/1080p movies and videos on my iPad 4.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Outstanding. I don't watch many YouTube videos (other than content imbedded in sites), but for Amazon and Netflix, it's a great personal video device.

Sometimes, I'll watch something, kind of in the background of my desk with it, even though I've got a large display and can use it with my integrated display, since it doesn't consume any resources, it looks super sharp, and I connect to a Supertooth speaker setup, so it even sounds good :)

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010

Just have to echo that the display dimming/flashing issue is quite annoying for movies with dark scenes. The first few times doesn't seem like a big deal, but it gets frustrating when it occurs repeatedly during long dimly lit scenes.

Sure hope its nothing more than a software/firmware issue that apple will address. Didn't some users report that the behavior doesn't occur in one of the third party video apps?

vicky07

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I find video quality very clean,I don't find any problems while watching videos!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.