Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
So my roommate is a rather terrible person who somehow set my computer to play a goat noise every hour on the hour. I've tried to resolve the issue, but I've had no luck. I might normally find this funny, but I'm rather busy, and I can't deal with this B.S. right now.

He's rather technically savvy with Macs, and when I got home, Terminal was open, but it was just at the normal screen that it's at when you first open it. This leads me to believe that he's done some sort of programming stuff to make this happen.

I can't just turn it off in the clock settings in system prefs. The "announce the time" checkbox is unchecked.

My computer is normally locked down tight with my password, but I left it unlocked because I needed him to upload a file when it was done rendering because I had to leave the house. I guess I've learned my lesson not to trust him.

Any ideas on how to resolve the issue? I'm asking you programmers because I think he used some type of Terminal stuff to make it happen.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It could be from a crontab... I've never used cron on a Mac but I've used it on Unix / Linux before so I assume it's on Mac, too...

In the terminal, type in

Code:
crontab -l

It should say

Code:
crontab: no crontab for <your user name>

Then try

Code:
sudo crontab -l

And then type in your password (it won't show anything while you type it) and press return. And it should say

Code:
crontab: no crontab for root

At which point you'll know that cron isn't what your roommate used. Unless it printed out different messages for you.

I believe OS X has another utility that does similar things to cron, called launchctl, but I don't know how it works.

Last edited:

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
You can check if he left any traces in Terminal by opening Terminal and typing in the following line :

Code:
history | tail -n 10

Post the output you get from the command. You can hide what you're doing in Terminal but let's hope for your sake he did not.
Other thing to check if he used launchd is the Console application. Open the Console application and do a search and filter for launchd. See attached tumbnail. Post a screenshot of that as well.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 213

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Any ideas on how to resolve the issue? I'm asking you programmers because I think he used some type of Terminal stuff to make it happen.

The completely non-technical solution: You ask him politely to undo whatever he did. If he refuses, you accidentally drop some object that belongs to him and smash it. If he still refuses, you go on. :D

Seriously, he has been committing a criminal offence. He may think it's funny, but to you it's not.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

As it happens, I just got him to undo it for me. He sat down and did something with Terminal, and that's that. I didn't really want to ask him, because I didn't want to reward the behavior, but that's that.

I appreciate the detailed solutions, though!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
As an update, I've completely figured out the problem. It turns out that my roommate was just screwing with me, and wasn't actually fixing anything, and went along with the story of me accusing him of doing something.

I use Adobe After Effects quite extensively, and when a render fails, it makes a goat noise (just figured this out the other day). Now that's all good and well, but I wasn't doing a render when it made the noise. I use this product called BassJump with my iMac, and sometimes, it'll just spit out random short bits of audio, which is probably some sort of software bug.

So, my BassJump held on to that goat noise from an earlier time, and spit it out. weird stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.