Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:40 AM   #26
I7guy
macrumors 68030

Even my blackberry had that with blackberry traffic.
I7guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 01:20 PM   #27
improver
macrumors newbie

I would love to be able to schedule SMS on my iPhone

This is really annoying that it can't be done. I often remember something I want to text someone but don't want them to get it until the following week or day etc yet the ONLY solutions are crappy I have to write the text our in a reminder to myself and then at whatever time I want to send it I have then read the reminder and copy and paste it into a text again total sucks.

What if I intend to be asleep or in a meeting at the time I need the text message to arrive?

I did actually contact Apple requesting the feature be included as is normal they did not respond. But if enough of us contacted them or started a petition they might just consider adding it.

Clearly the hardware is capable so it is more due to a lack of desire on apples part.

I don't know why they would want to allow android phones to be better in this respect, it makes no sense to me at all.
improver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:28 AM   #28
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by neen1 View Post
True, but Apploe & Android do not allow to send text messages without taping the "Send"-Button, so this kind of app is the only solution to have something similar like an automatic scheduled text message.

And this also will not change for sure.

There are plenty of apps that you can schedule and SEND a message for Android, there has been from the start.

I believe iOS is the only mobile OS that can not do this.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:13 AM   #29
Dronepilot
macrumors newbie

I use Siri to schedule text messages all the time. Just say "At 3 PM send a text message to whoever that says blah Bubba blah" and it will be sent at 3 pm. Let me know how it goes.

Can you tell I used Siri to type this? ha ha Ha.

Last edited by Dronepilot; Dec 20, 2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Edit a little joke and a bit of truth.
Dronepilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:23 AM   #30
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronepilot View Post
I use Siri to schedule text messages all the time. Just say "At 3 PM send a text message to whoever that says blah Bubba blah" and it will be sent at 3 pm. Let me know how it goes.

Can you tell I used Siri to type this? ha ha Ha.
Doesn't seem like that does what you are saying it would do. Siri just seems to send the message right away instead of scheduling it and sending it automatically at the scheduled time.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:45 AM   #31
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
You can have your iPhone text yourself with the Calendar app, and then forward the text when it does so
How do you do this?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:04 PM   #32
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Doesn't seem like that does what you are saying it would do. Siri just seems to send the message right away instead of scheduling it and sending it automatically at the scheduled time.
I think he was joking around just to see who would try it out
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 03:29 PM   #33
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
I think he was joking around just to see who would try it out
Seems like a rather pointless thing to do to needlessly bring up a thread that's close to year old.
C DM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:53 PM   #34
mib1800
macrumors 65816

If you really need a real smart phone go with android.

...waiting for brickbats to come.
mib1800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #35
improver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Seems like a rather pointless thing to do to needlessly bring up a thread that's close to year old.
I disagree, this is STILL a MASSIVE issue.

Still after many years of other 'smart' phones being able to schedule AND send without needing to prompt the person scheduling iphones still cannot do it.

I understand the only way is to jail break the iphone, so after more than a year of needing this feature and no working solution arriving I see it as I have 2 options.

Option 1 - Leave apple and buy an android. (not something I want to do but I moved to apple for time saving features so if it is falling behind I will move again, I want my tech to help me not hinder me or simply 'remind' me to redo something I already did again (thus waste my time).

Option 2 - Jail break my iphone and see if that will allow me access to this feature. As I have an iphone (and a mac and ipad) I would rather keep with it I like my things to all work together. So I have some questions (I will probably start a new thread about this but as this is the ONLY reason I want to do it Im putting these here too).

1. Will a jail broken iphone still use all the apple apps?
2. Does a jail broken iphone still sync with icloud? Eg will my reminders auto sync will my calenders auto sync etc?
3. Other than upsetting apple is there any actual draw back to jail breaking an iphone?
4. How exactly do I go about getting my iphone jail broken so it can actually do this feature?

Lastly now that that macs have the ability to send text messages is there anything in there that could schedule AND send (without needing me to reconfirm) a text?

Before someone who has completely miss-understood the reason for this NEED pipes up saying something like, 'just set a reminder' which appears to be what all current apps do and seemingly is the 'solution' many are offering. I want to clarify a few examples of where the REAL SOLUTION is needed.

Example 1 - You know you will be driving at 12 mid-day but you also know your husband/wife/partner will be just leaving work at that time and want to remind them to pick up something on their way home. You remember this at say 10:30am you cant call him/her because they are in work and wont answer and you dont want to text them whilst they are busy (as you knwo they will likely have forgotten by the time they leave work. so you schedule a text to send on its own at 12 mid-day.

Example 2 - You are working late and at 3am you have a fantastic idea you need your business partner to act on, but you know they are asleep in bed so you set a text to send to them at 10am maybe something like this, "Hey Jake I really need you to read the report Ive left on your desk and action the point on page 3 Ive highlighted, Ive been working through the night so will be asleep until mid-day"

Hopefully you can now see why, write text, set reminder, read reminder, copy text, paste text, press send is a total freakin waste of time that does NOT solve the problem! ;-)
improver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM   #36
improver
macrumors newbie

Maybe Android is the best solution?

So after writing the post above, I checked out the jailbreak & tweaks section os macrumors and it seems there are many apps that dont work if you jail break your phone (such as most banking apps) which seems to defeat the point of jail breaking if just to get some features and lose others.

So I had a little look on google and found this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-rig...-with-android/

So I wonder is there a way I can have the same number on both an iphone and an android phone or do I have to move to android totally?

It is a shame my suggestion back in February to have a petition for apple to allow this didnt take off we might have had this feature by now.
improver is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone