Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
Anyone else seeing this? I have not seen a word of it on the forums.

I can understand why you had trouble getting any information about your problem. After receiving a 21.5" iMac in early December, I joined this forum to be the first to describe what was possibly the glueing problem, and it was ignored.

MyFirstiMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
I can understand why you had trouble getting any information about your problem. After receiving a 21.5" iMac in early December, I joined this forum to be the first to describe what was possibly the glueing problem, and it was ignored.

For the same reason, I just registered on this site to hopefully help fellow users.

I purchased my 21.5 iMac in late April and noticed a few "bubbles" (or whatever they were) outside of the visible portion of the screen on the black border the following day. The day after that, I began noticing them on the screen itself, as they were more noticeable in darker backgrounds and on certain angles.

When I got to the Genius Bar at the Apple store, there was a discussion among two reps about the possibility of "replacing the outer screen". I made it clear that I was not leaving without a new computer. The first computer wouldn't turn on (I kid you not!). I carefully inspected the second one brought out and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I was able to get the replacement computer as requested and to their credit, was out of there within an hour.

For those trying to push the bubbles out.....don't! What will you do if they return after warranty? I paid nearly 2K for my system and was expecting perfection and nothing less.

Trust me, the last thing I wanted to do was put the thing in the box, lug it to the car and drive all the way to an Apple Store and wait Lord knows how many days for another one. I'm glad I immediately returned it as I have not noticed any bubbles pop up yet on the replacement one (knock on wood!).

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
For the same reason, I just registered on this site to hopefully help fellow users.

Good luck with your machine. My last iMac from 2006 had so many problems with its 17" LCD that after two tries with the 21.5" 2012 model in December, I got a 2012 Mac Mini and Asus monitor.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I cam understand everyone's desire for perfection of course. We all want that.

But there comes a point when you have to make a judgement about the severity of an issue and whether its worth getting it replaced. Not because of the hassle of doing so (albeit, it IS a hassle), but because the replacement might well be worse.

I am on my 2nd 2012 iMac and if I took the "perfectionist" approach, I would be on my 3rd at least. Probably my 4th, 5th or 6th I reckon.

The first one had a spec of dirt behind the screen and visible clouding and screen non-uniformity. No brainer - replacement required. Having said that, it was in all other respects perfect.

The 2nd one leans to the left (the stand is not straight). And the fan sometimes makes a faint "helicopter" sound, rather than a smooth rush of air - quite offputting actually. So I thought about RMA'ing it as well. Then I figured its just not worth it. The "lean" is fixed with two business cards under the left side of the screen. And the fan doesn't do it all the time, and who knows, may sort itself out. If not, I can put up with it, or not, and have the fan replaced.

I had NO confidence that a 3rd iMac would be perfect.

If I were the OP, and everything else about the machine was OK, I would just forget about it.

MyFirstiMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
Good luck with your machine. My last iMac from 2006 had so many problems with its 17" LCD that after two tries with the 21.5" 2012 model in December, I got a 2012 Mac Mini and Asus monitor.

Thanks LCD.

I talked with all of my friends who have either the 21.5 or 27 inch purchased within the past two years and not a single one have an issue with theirs in any manner. And yet in my first experience with any Apple product, my first one has the "bubbles" and then the second one they pull out can't even be turned on. What are the odds of that?.....I wish I could be that lucky in lotteries.

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
And yet in my first experience with any Apple product, my first one has the "bubbles" and then the second one they pull out can't even be turned on. What are the odds of that?.....I wish I could be that lucky in lotteries.

I lucked out with the Mini and Asus monitor. But if the odds were ever good when buying electronic gear, they're not anymore, MyFirstiMac. Just bend over and take the poor quality control, short warranty periods and if you post here, accusations of having OCD.

Buggles Bugley

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2018
Anyone else seeing this? I have had my new late model 27" iMac for about two weeks now and am just noticing some small bubbles just under the glass on the screen. It almost looks like someone touched the screen with greasy fingers. I've noticed approx 4 or 5 of these (1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in diameter) and they don't change in size over time. You can really only see them when viewing the screen with a white background, but now that I know they are there it's driving me nuts. Anyone else notice this? I have not seen a word of it on the forums. I ordered my iMac two days after the became available for pre-order, so it's possible I got mine from an early batch where they were still working out the manufacturing bugs (trying to make the promised December launch).

Yes. Late 2015 model. Trying to raise awareness that this is still happening with newer models and Apple isn’t standing behind their product.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8430957

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.