Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I think they meant the iPhone with original box. I think there was probably a language barrier there.

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't confuse me, but it obviously confused the buyer. Even though the full description of the phone is there, the text clearly states it is for the box only. I hate this type of auction, but at the same time the buyer needs to read and understand what they are bidding on.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
It is misleading though. Why put all the specs for the phone and its box only.

eBay puts much of this in automatically based on the title of the auction. BUT it could be chosen to NOT include that. At least they should have put in text to say that the eBay text does not represent the real auction.

As for why; many people want to buy boxes to resell their phone. Or at least to keep them. I have every box for every Apple product and then, when I resell it, I include the box.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I always save the boxes to include them in my sales too. I usually get more money out of it.

I can't believe it... People should read it. I'm curious about the PayPal thing too..

Seems like the buyer posted it with the eBay app, the app doesn't let you see the page like a computer screen would.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I'm almost tempted to send a message to peaches_bears and congratulate him/her on spending $400+ for a friggin box. Nevermind the fact that the buyer has over 200+ feedback so they should know how this whole eBay thing works. BUT, I'm sure it'll be priceless when the buyer gets the package, sees the box, gets all giddy with excitement, opens the box, then;

tumblr_llcuh5MVvq1qg945w.jpg

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
The buyer will probably get their money back. The money hit will be in the fact that it was listed in the incorrect category and with the iphone 4 product description category, describing specifications no box possesses. "Cell Phones & Accessories > Cell Phones & Smartphones" is the wrong category for a box, as it is not a cell phone. Seller will get knuckles rapped for this sort of stunt too. It's intentionally misleading, bordering on dishonest.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I'm almost tempted to send a message to peaches_bears and congratulate him/her on spending $400+ for a friggin box. Nevermind the fact that the buyer has over 200+ feedback so they should know how this whole eBay thing works. BUT, I'm sure it'll be priceless when the buyer gets the package, sees the box, gets all giddy with excitement, opens the box, then;

Er, no, peaches_bears was the seller. The purchaser was someone with only 4 feedback, so yeah, this is basically an experienced seller scamming a newbie. Not very admirable.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Interesting, if you look at it on the iPhone, seems pretty obvious. Not so from a desktop.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I dont see these as scamming really, if he wants to sell the box for 400 its good i guess :confused: the person that bought its the want with the issue.

Seller can just claim capitalism at is best.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I dont see these as scamming really, if he wants to sell the box for 400 its good i guess :confused: the person that bought its the want with the issue.

Seller can just claim capitalism at is best.

Yeah, but surrounding lies with a little bit of truth does not make it an honest auction. The buyer's very simple retort in this case is that they bought something from the cell phone/smart phone category, but a box is not a cell phone. The miscategorization alone is grounds for canceling an ebay auction altogether. Does this box have an 8MP camera? Then why does the listing say it does? Does this box have 64GB storage capacity? Then why does the listing say it does? Does this box run iOS? Then why does the listing say it does? Etc.

The seller will not have much of a leg to stand on, especially since it actually is ambiguous even after you parse it all as to whether the phone is actually included.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah, but surrounding lies with a little bit of truth does not make it an honest auction. The buyer's very simple retort in this case is that they bought something from the cell phone/smart phone category, but a box is not a cell phone. The miscategorization alone is grounds for canceling an ebay auction altogether. Does this box have an 8MP camera? Then why does the listing say it does? Does this box have 64GB storage capacity? Then why does the listing say it does? Does this box run iOS? Then why does the listing say it does? Etc.

The seller will not have much of a leg to stand on, especially since it actually is ambiguous even after you parse it all as to whether the phone is actually included.

I dont think the seller will have any trouble, imo ebay is to blame for these kind of auctions that are starting to be super common these days wich makes me think the people doing it are not having any trouble with keeping the money.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I dont think the seller will have any trouble, imo ebay is to blame for these kind of auctions that are starting to be super common these days wich makes me think the people doing it are not having any trouble with keeping the money.

Obviously it will be up to the purchaser to complain, but the auction, if it really was just for the box, pretty flagrantly violates ebay's listing policy:

"Selecting product details from our catalog that aren't an exact match with what you're listing isn't allowed."

Also, regarding the category it's in:

"Selecting a category that doesn't match the item in order to include details for a different product isn't allowed. For example, if you're selling a generic MP3 player, you can't list it in the Cell Phones & PDAs category just to add info about an iPhone."

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
No, it doesn't confuse me as it clearly says "box only" and no I wouldn't bid on it because I don't want an iPhone box nor for $400.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
So when the buyer gets the box and it's empty, does he have any leverage to file a claim with PayPal/eBay?

Even thought there is buyers protection, I don't think so. eBay will have a screen shot of the description and ebay will side with the seller. This listing says box only, you bought the box. So no, you may not get a refund. I may be wrong though idk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.