Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroblu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
So I'm wanting to get Windows 8 on my Macbook with bootcamp. I've read here that the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade will still install as a full system install and I will be able to have Windows 8 without the need of a previous version of windows. Is this true? I do not want to go and buy the retail version of the upgrade for $80 and find out that it doesn't work. Can someone please confirm if this will work and explain to me what I should do? Thankyou!

31rhcp

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
So I'm wanting to get Windows 8 on my Macbook with bootcamp. I've read here that the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade will still install as a full system install and I will be able to have Windows 8 without the need of a previous version of windows. Is this true? I do not want to go and buy the retail version of the upgrade for $80 and find out that it doesn't work. Can someone please confirm if this will work and explain to me what I should do? Thankyou!

I have a very similar question. Does anyone have a success story to share?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I have been able to do fresh installs from an Upgrade version of Windows 7 that I purchased through my university a few years ago. I assume it's the same for Windows 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.