Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:07 PM   #101
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Either you have honor or you don't? Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".

If I were to give a second iPhone I received for free to a person too poor to afford an iPhone, would I match your personal definition of honor?
Depends. The question again, becomes, "how did you receive that iPhone?".

If you bought it or it was gifted to you, then you have no problem. If it was sent to you in error or other illegal means, then the honourable thing to do would be to try to return it to its owner or the person that made the mistake. If they have no problem with it, at least you've done the honourable thing first before passing it on to the next person.

BL.
bradl is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:07 PM   #102
syd430
Guest
 
Benjamin Franklin should have said "The only things certain in life are death, taxes, and a perpeptual stream of posters to a certain MacRumors thread that 'just don't get it'"

No matter how many times you say it, or how much hard evidence through sources you provide, there will be a constant number of posters that can't comprehend that what the OP is doing is:

1) Illegal
2) Wrong

Rather than having to constantly reply to this thread in to enternity, im just not going to post in this thread again regardless of what is said.

Good luck OP.

Last edited by syd430; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
  1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:10 PM   #103
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Either you have honor or you don't? Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".

If I were to give a second iPhone I received for free to a person too poor to afford an iPhone, would I match your personal definition of honor?
No you would basically be giving them something they can't afford to use. If they can't afford to buy it what makes you think they can afford to pay the phone plan? The honorable thing is to contact Apple and let them decide what will be done with the phone.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:13 PM   #104
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Either you have honor or you don't? Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".

If I were to give a second iPhone I received for free to a person too poor to afford an iPhone, would I match your personal definition of honor?

either you have honor or you dont?
Quote:
Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".
man im really sorry your parents didnt raise you right.


no giving the phone to someone in need (no one NEEDS a smartphone) wouldnt be okay. as plainly and simple (yet apparently incomprehensible to many) two wrongs do not make a right.
BFizzzle is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:16 PM   #105
Raftysworld
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
If you go to a local grocery store, buy some groceries... you pay 20 dollars, should be getting 4.60 back in change. You get 4.65, but you don't notice until you are home. Now, you guys would all go back to the store to return the 5 cents? Because it's the honourable thing to do?

5 cents to a local grocery store in your town is what an iPhone is to Apple. If all of you would go back to the store and return that nickel, then okay. I suppose we'll just agree to disagree. I don't feel that I should be considered dishonourable if I don't. Because in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. At all.

EDIT: BFizzzle, I reported your post because saying something like "man im really sorry your parents didnt raise you right. " is just not cool. Don't make this personal. Reasonable people can disagree about this issue and have a reasonable debate.
Raftysworld is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:19 PM   #106
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
either you have honor or you dont?

man im really sorry your parents didnt raise you right.


no giving the phone to someone in need (no one NEEDS a smartphone) wouldnt be okay. as plainly and simple (yet apparently incomprehensible to many) two wrongs do not make a right.
I really wish I could disagree with you so I we could have another pointless debate about something that doesn't really matter. However, in this case you are right. You seem to be getting a little impatient with these people, which is understandable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Haha arm chair warriors here.

If you go to a local grocery store, buy some groceries... you pay 20 dollars, should be getting 4.60 back in change. You get 4.65, but you don't notice until you are home. Now, you guys would all go back to the store to return the 5 cents? Because it's the honourable thing to do?

5 cents to a local grocery store in your town is what an iPhone is to Apple. If all of you would go back to the store and return that nickel, then okay. I suppose we'll just agree to disagree. I don't feel that I should be considered dishonourable if I don't. Because in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. At all.
.....Seriously am not about to debate the diferences of a nickel and a phone with you. However, I would not go back to give them the nickel. I would however, let them have it the next time I went to buy some more groceries.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:20 PM   #107
Raftysworld
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
.....Seriously am not about to debate the diferences of a nickel and a phone with you. However, I would not go back to give them the nickel. I would however, let them have it the next time I went to buy some more groceries.
Wait, so now you can put a price on honor? Is there a dollar amount at which it is okay to keep the item that was mistakenly given to you? I haven't heard you or anyone make that argument yet.

Would you say it's okay if the OP waits until he's due for an upgrade in two years to return the iPhone then? If you think it's okay to wait until the next time you go grocery shopping to return the money, this should be fine, right?
Raftysworld is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:21 PM   #108
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Wait, so now you can put a price on honor? Is there a dollar amount at which it is okay to keep the item that was mistakenly given to you? I haven't heard you or anyone make that argument yet.

Would you say it's okay if the OP waits until he's due for an upgrade in two years to return the iPhone then? If you think it's okay to wait until the next time you go grocery shopping to return the money, this should be fine, right?
Alright if you're going to be an ass about things. Call the grocery store and ask them if they would like me to mail them the nickel. (They must reimburse the shipping)

Side note that is why you can't compare a nickel with a phone.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:23 PM   #109
Raftysworld
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Alright if you're going to be an ass about things. Call the grocery store and ask them if they would like me to mail them the nickel. (They must reimburse the shipping)

Side note that is why you can't compare a nickel with a phone.
Okay, cool. That's not what I'd do. I don't think it's what most people would do. But I respect that. And I assume you'd respect a person who never returned the nickel, right? You wouldn't immediately assume them to be dishonourable people.

Why can't you compare a nickel to a phone if the grocery store is proportionally as valuable? That nickel might mean more to a local grocery store than an iphone does to Apple. How are they incomparable?
Raftysworld is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:25 PM   #110
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Okay, cool. That's not what I'd do. I don't think it's what most people would do. But I respect that. And I assume you'd respect a person who never returned the nickel, right? You wouldn't immediately assume them to be dishonourable people.

Why can't you compare a nickel to a phone if the grocery store is proportionally as valuable? That nickel might mean more to a local grocery store than an iphone does to Apple. How are they incomparable?
I frankly don't give a rats ass what you view as honorable or not. If something shouldn't be in your possesion and it is you should return it.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:27 PM   #111
Raftysworld
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
I frankly don't give a rats ass what you view as honorable or not. If something shouldn't be in your possesion and it is you should return it.
I never said what I viewed as honourable. Not once. Other people did... I was specifically attacking the idea that we should be painting people as lacking honour just because they have a different opinion on this issue.
Raftysworld is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 PM   #112
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus
 
r.j.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
MOD NOTE

We have spent a considerable amount of time trying to clean this therad up a bit.

Please can we refrain from the arguing and bickering. Please review the Rules for Appropriate Debate before posting.
To give everyone some time to cool off, this thread is now closed.
r.j.s is offline   4

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apparently, apple doesn't want to accept their mistake :( khunkami MacBook Pro 13 Dec 9, 2013 04:23 PM
Former employer says Apple made a mistake firing Scott Forstsall Rogifan Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 3 Nov 13, 2012 01:20 PM
All iPads: Apple's expensive iPad Mini mistake blergh! iPad 183 Nov 6, 2012 04:02 PM
The iPad Mini will be Apple's/Cook's Big Mistake svensven iPad 57 Oct 24, 2012 10:22 AM
Another HUGE mistake by Apple with Iphone 5 bruin27 Wasteland 9 Oct 13, 2012 04:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC