Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
How are bootcamp drivers in win 8 pro?

So I am currently doing win 7 ultimate and pretty happy with it but I would like to take it up to win 8 pro. Are you doing this? How is it working out?

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
there's no drivers yet for win8 under bootcamp so you have to patch up the system manually. it's really a hassle at this point. and trackpad support sucks so its not a real pleasant experience.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Given the experience I've had with Windows 8 thus far you are better off with Windows 7 all together. Better os, better drivers.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I've ran Windows 7 and am running Windows 8 on my rMBP under Boot camp.

No issues really. Used the drivers provided and just made sure I had the latest ones (like I would do anyway even if it was Windows 7). Updated the graphics driver (downloaded manually from the NVidia website) and just had to do a quick workaround to get the boot camp control panel working. Other than that, it's running perfectly fine and didn't have any issues. The trackpad works fine, keyboard as well. I use it mainly to play FIFA 13 and it runs perfectly (apart from the EFI issues that have nothing to do with Windows).

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Hate Windows 8, sticking with Windows 7 in boot camp, however I am just about done with Windows for good, except for work, where I have no choice.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
What was the workaround?

Doesn't sound good really.
Creating a second user account, give it Admin rights. Remove admin rights from primary account. Run boot camp control panel, configure the way you like (you only need to do it once anyway). Give admin rights to primary account again. Delete second account.

Nothing that will take you more than 5 minutes.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Creating a second user account, give it Admin rights. Remove admin rights from primary account. Run boot camp control panel, configure the way you like (you only need to do it once anyway). Give admin rights to primary account again. Delete second account.

Nothing that will take you more than 5 minutes.

Huh, that's an odd workaround but thanks.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I'm waiting for Apple to officially come out with windows 8 drivers. They may not do it ever though, so I might be stuck with 7.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Near as I can tell there are only two issues.

Boot camp assistant has trouble changing the boot partition, complains about privileges even though I have it set for compatibility mode and administrator. I think I can get around this by using option on boot or something.

Apple track pad drivers don't work.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Near as I can tell there are only two issues.

Boot camp assistant has trouble changing the boot partition, complains about privileges even though I have it set for compatibility mode and administrator. I think I can get around this by using option on boot or something.

Apple track pad drivers don't work.

Some dude posted windows 8 specific drivers in this forum. Trackpad++ or something of the sorts.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Actually I seem to be close enough.

On the boot selection and not being able to enter boot camp assistant; only thing I really needed was to be able to switch to OSX. Temp fix is to just use option on reboot and select OSX.

For the track pad drivers the ones bootcamp didn't work the first time, so just go in and select USB input device and you will have basic track pad working. Then go in and have it search again and one shows up as apple multitouch and the other comes in as apple multitouch mouse. Then they worked and I could scroll and two finger right click. Good enough for me.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm trying to install Win 8 Pro using Boot Camp Assistant on a 13" rMPB, and all that's happening is that when it installs, it boots right into a screen where the only thing that shows up is a blue bar along the left 1/4 of the screen. The rest of the screen is black, and nothing else happens. I can scroll the mouse pointer within the blue bar, but it doesn't do anything.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Couldnt say. I did an upgrade on an existing win7 bootcamp that was happy already. Borrow a win7 disk? Don't even have to activate, just get it happy with the drivers etc and run win8 upgrade.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Actually I seem to be close enough.

On the boot selection and not being able to enter boot camp assistant; only thing I really needed was to be able to switch to OSX. Temp fix is to just use option on reboot and select OSX.

For the track pad drivers the ones bootcamp didn't work the first time, so just go in and select USB input device and you will have basic track pad working. Then go in and have it search again and one shows up as apple multitouch and the other comes in as apple multitouch mouse. Then they worked and I could scroll and two finger right click. Good enough for me.
Weird, I didn't have issues with the trackpad. All worked fine after installing the drivers. Maybe it was because you updated from 7 to 8. I clean installed.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Weird, I didn't have issues with the trackpad. All worked fine after installing the drivers. Maybe it was because you updated from 7 to 8. I clean installed.

Could be, I think it used the same driver. That or microsoft is caching them on their side as a WHQL thing.

vt9

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I'm trying to install Win 8 Pro using Boot Camp Assistant on a 13" rMPB, and all that's happening is that when it installs, it boots right into a screen where the only thing that shows up is a blue bar along the left 1/4 of the screen. The rest of the screen is black, and nothing else happens. I can scroll the mouse pointer within the blue bar, but it doesn't do anything.

Were you able to solve the problem? I tried to install Windows 8 Pro today and ended up with the same blue bar/black screen you got.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Were you able to solve the problem? I tried to install Windows 8 Pro today and ended up with the same blue bar/black screen you got.

No. I've stuck with Windows 7 for now. I've heard it might work if you try upgrading a Windows 7 installation rather than doing a clean install. I'm wondering if it is a firmware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.