Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Zyrl
macrumors newbie

My files are gone in my external harddrive; It was working before and I have NTFS-3G.

Alright, as pointed out;

I have a WD Elements Harddrive, and earlier today I had some errors with my bootcamp. It seems that an update was aborted and I had my macbook in a black screen every single time I open windows. However, through safemode, I managed to fix this problem. The thing that came with that was, my HD (which I also use when I'm on my windows) seems to have changed it's format by itself, since I can't see any of my files I have on when I'm on my mac os. I was thinking that, once I fixed my windows problem it would fix the one I have with my mac os too, but it didn't. It worked before and I had NTFS-3G installed and everything. I'm not sure what happened now. It also doesn't appear on the sidebar of the finder under devices.

Can anyone help me resolve this? I don't really feel like reformatting my HD because I don't have any other computer to put my files with, and I have about 800GB+ files here and my laptop can only contain around 320GB.

EDIT: It may also be important to note that I can see the files on my windows, and that when I 'get the info' from my HD, the file says it's formatted as NTFS. (Screenshot: http://puu.sh/1Zm2A)
Zyrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
kryten2
macrumors 6502a

From windows run the chkdsk utility and target your external harddrive. See if that fixes your problem. More info on the chkdsk utility and how to use it here : http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Chkdsk. Or Google chkdsk. You might also want to check your Console application for errors about NTFS-3G trying to mount your external disk.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help