Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I just met him. Nice guy. It was a TD bank cashiers check. I'm a mile away so I might cash it just to make sure it's legit.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Sounds like a pretty good deal.
A couple of things to remember, don't know how this applies on Craigslist but here's how selling anything on eBay works.
If you sell anything make sure unless they're paying cash you don't allow them to "collect" from you, scammers pay using paypal collect from you and a day, a week, a month, 4 months later the money is taken back out of your account from Paypal, because a stolen credit card was used or the buyer may havw used his own card but tells eBay he has never received whatever he bought from you, you have no proof of postage/tracking signature info because you allowed him to collect.
If someone insists paying paypal ship to their "confirmed" paypal address ONLY, and use a service that has tracking information and requires a signature on delivery.
Don't know how this applies for Craigslist but I reckon cash on collection is the only way to go be careful craigslist and ebay crawling with the thieves.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Sounds like a pretty good deal.
A couple of things to remember, don't know how this applies on Craigslist but here's how selling anything on eBay works.
If you sell anything make sure unless they're paying cash you don't allow them to "collect" from you, scammers pay using paypal collect from you and a day, a week, a month, 4 months later the money is taken back out of your account from Paypal, because a stolen credit card was used or the buyer may havw used his own card but tells eBay he has never received whatever he bought from you, you have no proof of postage/tracking signature info because you allowed him to collect.
If someone insists paying paypal ship to their "confirmed" paypal address ONLY, and use a service that has tracking information and requires a signature on delivery.
Don't know how this applies for Craigslist but I reckon cash on collection is the only way to go be careful craigslist and ebay crawling with the thieves.

Excellent advice. The guy I bought my previous rMBP from (2.6 /16 / 768) through Ebay was comming here on a business trip and was tempted to pay cash on the spot, but decided to buy through his auction and paid through Paypal; just asked him to mail me the machine so we will both be covered and thus avoided any issues. Perfect transaction. I later sold it to buy the 2.7 Max out rMBP currently have and it was through Ebay as well, payment with Paypal, USPS insured with signature confirmation. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
True. The only way to be sure on a check is to go to the issuing bank and cashing it then since they will immediately see if there are sufficient funds and a valid check. Quite frankly, if they can go to the trouble and cost of a cashiers or certified check they can simply give you cash.

Even then you are not safe. If the check was stolen, the bank will ask for the money back weeks later.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Even then you are not safe. If the check was stolen, the bank will ask for the money back weeks later.

Good point. I guess you'd have to meet at the bank and have the purchaser withdraw funds. At some point it gets too complicated and I insist on cash.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Good point. I guess you'd have to meet at the bank and have the purchaser withdraw funds. At some point it gets too complicated and I insist on cash.

Usually I do too. Unless I'm uncomfortable with the buyer it's cash. Big sells are usually via certified check. Same with the last Mac I sold.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
anything other then cash is scary to me. there are so many different types of payments that can pass at first but then later fail and they suck the money out of your account. either because it was counterfeit (usually pass at first) or cancellations / reported stolen.

money orders are notorious for being faked and passing at first but then rejected later on losing the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.