Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #1
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Why no TRIM or Fusion support?

1. WHY there is no TRIM support for 3rd party SSDs?
2. WHY there is no fussion support in 2011 macs?

Yes, I know, you can change kext files and get both of them... but:
1. Every and each os update kills trim and who knows what it does to fussion drive
2. why to hack, it could be easily allowed by apple... but, apple wont do that? why? it greed? arent 2011 customers worth having fussion?

dont get it...

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 27, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Updated thread title
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
useme2305
macrumors member

there is trim support for 3rd party SSDs...just get trim enabler. i'm not sure it's really necessary tho. most 3rd party controllers have fantastic garbage collection abilities with no need to trim.
useme2305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by useme2305 View Post
there is trim support for 3rd party SSDs...just get trim enabler. i'm not sure it's really necessary tho. most 3rd party controllers have fantastic garbage collection abilities with no need to trim.
trim enabler rewrites kext files... that is what I am writing about.. you have to mess up with system files...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
useme2305
macrumors member

kext schmext....if you want trim then enable it. it's fully revertible.
useme2305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:12 PM   #5
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by useme2305 View Post
kext schmext....if you want trim then enable it. it's fully revertible.
As I said, enebler rewrites system files... and after system update, you have to enable it again... this is little like windows world
majkom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:23 PM   #6
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Internal garbage collection is getting better. If you read the TRIM enabler thread, you'll see that while some people got better performance after enabling, some saw no difference, and others actually got worse performance.

If you have a modern SSD you may actually be better off without TRIM.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Internal garbage collection is getting better. If you read the TRIM enabler thread, you'll see that while some people got better performance after enabling, some saw no difference, and others actually got worse performance.

If you have a modern SSD you may actually be better off without TRIM.
well, i have read all anandtech reviews, never seen any ssd which would work fine longterm without trim
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:23 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
well, i have read all anandtech reviews, never seen any ssd which would work fine longterm without trim
The few SSD articles I've seen on Anandtech involve a benchmark torture test on a drive at nearly full capacity. While it's possible some setups would use an SSD like that, it seems unlikely, as most people seem to use an SSD simply for speeding up boot and application launch times. Of course someone using an SSD as a Photoshop scratch disk would probably disagree with me.

OTOH, TRIM slowed down several drives that were used in much more typical operating circumstances (not with tons of rewrites on a full drive).

Don't get me wrong--I do actually agree with you. TRIM and FUSION should be available in OS X for third party drives, assuming they would work properly with such drives.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
The few SSD articles I've seen on Anandtech involve a benchmark torture test on a drive at nearly full capacity. While it's possible some setups would use an SSD like that, it seems unlikely, as most people seem to use an SSD simply for speeding up boot and application launch times. Of course someone using an SSD as a Photoshop scratch disk would probably disagree with me.

OTOH, TRIM slowed down several drives that were used in much more typical operating circumstances (not with tons of rewrites on a full drive).

Don't get me wrong--I do actually agree with you. TRIM and FUSION should be available in OS X for third party drives, assuming they would work properly with such drives.
I do agree... it is not like I am bashing apple jsut to bash it.. nope, I like apple products (most of them) but sometimes, I simply can not agree with the politics... there is no reason not allowing existing users to fuse their drives... or tu sopport trim on 3rd party ssds... but they do that...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini