Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I've never had any real issues with my iphone 5. But last night around 9pm, I was at about 65%. I was off the charger since 2pm and had a lot of use which seemed at a normal discharge rate. All of a sudden, during normal use of playing words with friends, Text messaging and Facebook, the battery started tanking. Within minutes I was down to 60%. I noticed something was wrong so I did a hard reboot and closed all apps in the tray. Still started draining bad. I was losing almost 3% a minute or so. This kept up until I was at 20% then while using the phone, I watched it skip to 17% out of nowhere. Then to 11. Minutes later it skipped to 4% and gave me the under 10% warning, then immediately shut down as if it was on 0. Upon plugging in, assuming it was completely drained, it turned right on and said it at 11% when it left off at 4 when it died. Something really funky was going on and I have no idea what it was. Anyone else ever see this?

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
My iPhone 4 (over 2 years old) dropped from 100% to 0% overnight with no usage. This happened shortly after the iPhone 5 came out and I was near an AT&T store early the next morning when I first noticed it. Nobody there had a clue (and they said they weren't trained in that type of support). Luckily the iPhone 5 was still in short supply or I would have bought one as I was convinced my battery was toast. I took it home, charged it and it has behaved normally ever since.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
well with all the freezing, lag and reboots caused by the words with friends app, im convinced its the culprit. i was using it heavily last night. they really need to update that app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.