Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I was copying an SD card I use to shoot video with a Sony XA-10 camera. The card reader accidentally disconnected while copying.

I know have no good way of getting the data.

I tried using ShotPutPro but I get an error after 5 seconds. I cant copy from the Finer. I get the "error -36." I used Drive Genius 3 and it recovered data....but it only recovered it as a bunch of .mts files, so it has the data but not in the regular format. I tried copying directly from the camera but I got an error message after a few seconds too.

I dont know what else I can do. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm hoping to get the data in a format I can use with FCP, ideally to get the data in the way it normally looks, tucked neatly in a folder labeled "private," the way the camera always does it.

Suggestions?

Nov 28, 2010
located
" I used Drive Genius 3 and it recovered data....but it only recovered it as a bunch of .mts files, so it has the data but not in the regular format.

What regular format do you want then? The MTS files are the ones containing the VIDEO data, but I guess you are after the META data?

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I would like the meta data. More importantly, if I'm not mistaken, the collection of .mts files doesnt exactly mirror the clips I shot i.e. some long clips are broken into multiple .mts files. That will get annoying. That's why I want the card saved in the regular way.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I would like the meta data. More importantly, if I'm not mistaken, the collection of .mts files doesnt exactly mirror the clips I shot i.e. some long clips are broken into multiple .mts files. That will get annoying. That's why I want the card saved in the regular way.

Yeah, data recovery software does not really work that way.

Sadly there are countless of fake SD-card recovery applications out there, thus I cannot recommend any specific title, but I have had good experiences with DataRescue 3, though it was with HDDs only.

Also know, that if you have a folder in a folder in a folder and files in that folder and a folder in that folder with another bunch of files, data recovery software will ignore the folder structure and normally will not even give the original name of the file and just name it FILE01.mts or something similar, since data recovery software scans the entire storage area for data and not just the table of contents, where file names and structure and such are stored with the older file systems like FAT32.

Judith123

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
New York
Yeah, data recovery software does not really work that way.

Sadly there are countless of fake SD-card recovery applications out there,

I'm not quite agree with this opinion. I think most data recovery software can recover SD card. If the data cannot be recovered, his/her SD card may be overwritten to some extent, or other reasons. I know a lot of software can works in that way.

thus I cannot recommend any specific title, but I have had good experiences with DataRescue 3, though it was with HDDs only.

As you said Data Rescue 3, yeah! It is really a good data recovery software, and I also used it. A big thump up. Really! :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I was copying an SD card I use to shoot video with a Sony XA-10 camera. The card reader accidentally disconnected while copying.

I know have no good way of getting the data.

I tried using ShotPutPro but I get an error after 5 seconds. I cant copy from the Finer. I get the "error -36." I used Drive Genius 3 and it recovered data....but it only recovered it as a bunch of .mts files, so it has the data but not in the regular format. I tried copying directly from the camera but I got an error message after a few seconds too.

I dont know what else I can do. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm hoping to get the data in a format I can use with FCP, ideally to get the data in the way it normally looks, tucked neatly in a folder labeled "private," the way the camera always does it.

Suggestions?

Is it FAT32? then, i recommend GetDataBack for FAT32 the most. I've tested quite a lot of data rescuer apps (see my full report HERE) and it turned out to be the best WRT FAT32 storage cards.

NB. I'm in no way affiliated with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.