Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

Anyone having this or any other habits???

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

You're far from the minority. It takes me about a month to type most thing with one hand, so I always use two. Unfortunately, this cramps the screen too much and I end up being awful in terms of precision. Typing with one hand is too slow, but my hands are too big to use both. I'm a casualty of the QWERTY keyboard dying out in smartphones. Typing, in my opinion, is still a big flaw on touchscreen phones.

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
You're far from the minority. It takes me about a month to type most thing with one hand, so I always use two. Unfortunately, this cramps the screen too much and I end up being awful in terms of precision. Typing with one hand is too slow, but my hands are too big to use both. I'm a casualty of the QWERTY keyboard dying out in smartphones. Typing, in my opinion, is still a big flaw on touchscreen phones.

Don't really see how else we would pen our messages, stylus pens are useless and the voice dictation is stupid imo, I couldn't imagine trying to write a private message by speaking into the phone.

I still use two hands to type when I'm sending a message, but usually turn it on it's side when doing this.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I prefer landscape keyboard sliders over the BB keyboards. I find the BB keyboards too narrow and the keys too close together for my liking.

My old Desire Z died in July, so I had to switch to touch screen keyboards. It took me about 4 months to get to the point that I can tolerate it. At one point, I was thinking of ditching it for a keyboard slider phone. I'm accepting touch screen keyboard for now.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

yeah the only time i use one hand..is when driving.
two hands always to type.
long live the sidekick!

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
One of the very few things I enjoyed on Android, the swype keyboard. At first I hated it, but once I got the hang of it...it was the best on handed keyboard I've used in my life. I only always had touch screen, going as far back as windows vx6800. I still find myself sliding my fingers on the iphone. As for the iPhone, I do use both hands on the iphone. I find that I'm able to type faster on the iphone than any other phone i've used....which I didn't expect and was a pleasant surprise :D

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Don't really see how else we would pen our messages, stylus pens are useless and the voice dictation is stupid imo, I couldn't imagine trying to write a private message by speaking into the phone.

I still use two hands to type when I'm sending a message, but usually turn it on it's side when doing this.

Agreed about stylus pens, agreed about voice dictation.

I'm thinking more along the lines of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbO2JvW6lE&feature=player_embedded

I think that would about do it if that technology could become more feasible. I know that's in the future, but it's what I would prefer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.