Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Hey,

So I'm having this problem that I can't install Windows 8 Pro x64 through bootcamp. I've created an installation USB on Sandisk Extreme 64gb USB3 and split the drive with bootcamp assistant. When ever I try to install windows, it says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For More information, see the Setup log files". Image of this has been attached. I just can't get past that point. Any idea what's going on? I'm installing this on my 15" Retina Macbook Pro. Help would be appreciated, been trying to fix this for way too long. :p

Thanks in advance!

SOLVED: Check post number 9 for details how this was fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_4952.jpg
    IMG_4952.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,391
Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I'm not quite sure how to fix it on your computer, but I can tell you on a desktop of mine how I fixed it (it may give you an idea I hope). I was installing Windows 8 to the second hard drive, and it kept giving me that error. I found that by removing the first hard drive (or at least disconnecting the SATA data cable), I could get it to install. I then returned the drive. This may help you I hope.

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Try to reformat the partition you want to install Windows on as NTFS and try again.

Poro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
I'm not quite sure how to fix it on your computer, but I can tell you on a desktop of mine how I fixed it (it may give you an idea I hope). I was installing Windows 8 to the second hard drive, and it kept giving me that error. I found that by removing the first hard drive (or at least disconnecting the SATA data cable), I could get it to install. I then returned the drive. This may help you I hope.

Hmm, I see. Seems to be a problem with Windows 8 but I can't really disconnect the other partitions, now can I? Just to clarify, it's one internal SSD with 4 partitions. Any ideas how I could circumvent this?

Try to reformat the partition you want to install Windows on as NTFS and try again.
I've reformatted and deleted the partition from the Windows setup quite a few times

chons

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Hey,

So I'm having this problem that I can't install Windows 8 Pro x64 through bootcamp. I've created an installation USB on Sandisk Extreme 64gb USB3 and split the drive with bootcamp assistant. When ever I try to install windows, it says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For More information, see the Setup log files". Image of this has been attached. I just can't get past that point. Any idea what's going on? I'm installing this on my 15" Retina Macbook Pro. Help would be appreciated, been trying to fix this for way too long. :p

Thanks in advance!

Try get a external drive or change partition size and see if you can solve the problem.

Had problem also when trying to install , tried delete partition and remake NTFS partition then error can't install.. rerun bootcamp to delete/fix partition then try install 2nd time it just pass through..

Fhame Rashid

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
England
if you have anything connected like usb drive or sd card, remove it and then restart it, go through the installation process again and now it should work

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Hmm, I see. Seems to be a problem with Windows 8 but I can't really disconnect the other partitions, now can I? Just to clarify, it's one internal SSD with 4 partitions. Any ideas how I could circumvent this?

I've reformatted and deleted the partition from the Windows setup quite a few times

I believe Windows 8 cannot be installed to a drive with more than 3 partitions.

Poro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
I decided to update this thread in case anyone stumbles upon the same problem. The problem was having the USB plugged in while installing, but I had to have it there since that was my Windows 8 installation media (rMPB no optical). If you just want to install Windows 8 from USB, split the drive normally using boot camp assistant and then finish the partitioning manually by following the guide below. This will result in a messed up MBR-table tho, so if you want to add your boot camp installation to Parallels, you also have to follow the second guide on how to fix the messed up MBR. Hope this helps.

How to solve "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

How to fix messed up paritition tables after that in order to boot Windows through Parallels boot camp.

Reactions: tallcoder

tallcoder

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
I decided to update this thread in case anyone stumbles upon the same problem. The problem was having the USB plugged in while installing, but I had to have it there since that was my Windows 8 installation media (rMPB no optical). If you just want to install Windows 8 from USB, split the drive normally using boot camp assistant and then finish the partitioning manually by following the guide below. This will result in a messed up MBR-table tho, so if you want to add your boot camp installation to Parallels, you also have to follow the second guide on how to fix the messed up MBR. Hope this helps.

How to solve "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

How to fix messed up paritition tables after that in order to boot Windows through Parallels boot camp.

Thanks! I ran into the exact same issue ... so far so good. Thanks again for posting what you found!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.