Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:20 PM   #1
leah2412
macrumors newbie

Can I make a smart mailbox using one word in the email?

First of all, I will explain what I am trying to do. I get one email every day with a list of about 20 sample sale sites with all these brands on sale. This is a lot to wade through so what I want to know is if there is a way to look through the content in this email and pick out a word that I select and move it to a separate mailbox. Let's say that Kitchenaid is on sale today and I want to find that out without having to wade through the rest of the crap to find that. I have tried this -

1. smart mailbox - contains messages that match ANY of the following conditions: ENTIRE MESSAGE - CONTAINS - KITCHENAID.

Can I set a "start" date for this so I won't get past deals? If I just delete them from that smart mailbox will it permanently delete them or just move to trash? Let's say I want to add several other keywords (brands) to this smart mailbox. I tried this as well with the same settings above and got a TON of mail and it seemed that I got quite a few that didn't belong. What would happen if I changed the ANY of the following to ALL of the following? Any help would be much appreciated!
leah2412 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah2412 View Post
First of all, I will explain what I am trying to do. I get one email every day with a list of about 20 sample sale sites with all these brands on sale. This is a lot to wade through so what I want to know is if there is a way to look through the content in this email and pick out a word that I select and move it to a separate mailbox. Let's say that Kitchenaid is on sale today and I want to find that out without having to wade through the rest of the crap to find that. I have tried this -

1. smart mailbox - contains messages that match ANY of the following conditions: ENTIRE MESSAGE - CONTAINS - KITCHENAID.

Can I set a "start" date for this so I won't get past deals? If I just delete them from that smart mailbox will it permanently delete them or just move to trash? Let's say I want to add several other keywords (brands) to this smart mailbox. I tried this as well with the same settings above and got a TON of mail and it seemed that I got quite a few that didn't belong. What would happen if I changed the ANY of the following to ALL of the following? Any help would be much appreciated!
The way you add a start date isn't in the way you're thinking. You need to add another condition: Date Received is after (date) and change ANY to ALL.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
leah2412
macrumors newbie

Ok, I think I have it. If I want emails with just these keywords (Sanitas, Le Creuset, Trina Turk) after today's date to go to my smart mailbox folder it needs to look like this picture. Would it help to also specify a sender? The list comes from the same person every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 3.29.12 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	397570  
leah2412 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:05 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah2412 View Post
Ok, I think I have it. If I want emails with just these keywords (Sanitas, Le Creuset, Trina Turk) after today's date to go to my smart mailbox folder it needs to look like this picture. Would it help to also specify a sender? The list comes from the same person every day.
Yes, a sender would help eliminate false positives. I recommend doing that if you can. Also, it's worth noting that a Smart Mailbox is just a view of your mail - in fact, it is nothing more than a saved Spotlight search of Mail data.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help