Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:38 PM   #26
hamkor04
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
You and I apparently have very differing definitions of sarcasm and irritating.

I did admit I was incorrect on the math, but the hard drive upgrades are still FAR cheaper than they used to be and for me worth the time savings. You're free to disagree, you just might do it like a grown up next time.
i think you still being INCORRECT, we were talking about SSD (mainly)
grown up? really?? you couldn't come up with something better??
__________________
“All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”
hamkor04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:11 AM   #27
fig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamkor04 View Post
i think you still being INCORRECT, we were talking about SSD (mainly)
grown up? really?? you couldn't come up with something better??
I just thought it was kind of an immature comment.

On the SSD, as I said it's not cheaper from Apple but it's a lot cheaper than it used to be.

For me I'm weighing the hassle of spending a few hours swapping out the drive and potentially voiding the warranty vs spending the extra $100 and being able to open up the box and start working on design/development project that I can make money on. Makes the price difference worth it for me.
__________________
figdigital | @figdigital | dribbble
fig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:29 PM   #28
hamkor04
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
I just thought it was kind of an immature comment.

On the SSD, as I said it's not cheaper from Apple but it's a lot cheaper than it used to be.

For me I'm weighing the hassle of spending a few hours swapping out the drive and potentially voiding the warranty vs spending the extra $100 and being able to open up the box and start working on design/development project that I can make money on. Makes the price difference worth it for me.
You absolutly right.
__________________
“All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”
hamkor04 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:53 PM   #29
CraigJ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Question What is the brand / model SSD in the factory fusion setup?

This decision would be a lot easier for me to make if I knew the brand, model and spec of the SSD that Apple ships with the factory fusion setup for comparison. I've been searching the web unsuccessfully for this info all day. It's probably my lack of ability to ask the question properly... If the performance is decent, then I'd rather spend the extra $150 and just get the factory fusion setup, because I need the machine for work and I don't have a lot of spare time...

Does anyone know the make and model of the SSD in the factory fusion setup?

If I decide to go the home built route I'll probably go with the 256Gb Samsung 840 pro and a 750 Gb Scorpio Black. This would be a significant upgrade over the factory setup and cost about $350 including the kit. Comments?

Has anyone had issues updating firm ware on SSDs? my understanding is that it can be a real pain, and this is one of my major sticking points. Are there SSDs that are comparable to the samsung in terms of performance, price and reliability that firmware updates are easier to do?
CraigJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:58 AM   #30
Fonz4
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Believe its a 128Gb Samsung 830


Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
This decision would be a lot easier for me to make if I knew the brand, model and spec of the SSD that Apple ships with the factory fusion setup for comparison. I've been searching the web unsuccessfully for this info all day. It's probably my lack of ability to ask the question properly... If the performance is decent, then I'd rather spend the extra $150 and just get the factory fusion setup, because I need the machine for work and I don't have a lot of spare time...

Does anyone know the make and model of the SSD in the factory fusion setup?

If I decide to go the home built route I'll probably go with the 256Gb Samsung 840 pro and a 750 Gb Scorpio Black. This would be a significant upgrade over the factory setup and cost about $350 including the kit. Comments?

Has anyone had issues updating firm ware on SSDs? my understanding is that it can be a real pain, and this is one of my major sticking points. Are there SSDs that are comparable to the samsung in terms of performance, price and reliability that firmware updates are easier to do?
Fonz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:51 PM   #31
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
This decision would be a lot easier for me to make if I knew the brand, model and spec of the SSD that Apple ships with the factory fusion setup for comparison. I've been searching the web unsuccessfully for this info all day. It's probably my lack of ability to ask the question properly... If the performance is decent, then I'd rather spend the extra $150 and just get the factory fusion setup, because I need the machine for work and I don't have a lot of spare time...

Does anyone know the make and model of the SSD in the factory fusion setup?

If I decide to go the home built route I'll probably go with the 256Gb Samsung 840 pro and a 750 Gb Scorpio Black. This would be a significant upgrade over the factory setup and cost about $350 including the kit. Comments?

Has anyone had issues updating firm ware on SSDs? my understanding is that it can be a real pain, and this is one of my major sticking points. Are there SSDs that are comparable to the samsung in terms of performance, price and reliability that firmware updates are easier to do?
Having just done a DIY Fusion successfully, I for one can recommend it. The whole process took me just over an hour.

The SSD that Apple uses is in fact the Samsung 830. I used the 256gb version of this and left the stock 1tb HDD in. If buying the OWC Data Doubler Kit i would recommend buying your own hex set as the one that they supply is crap IMO.

As far as updating the the firmware all you need is an external caddy and a Widows machine. (Tip: dowload the latest firmware tools from Samsung as the one that comes on the disc is the old version). Its simple to do.

Also as far as voiding the warranty goes, Apple is not exactly specific on whats covered and what isn't. As long as you dont damage anything when you upgrade you should be ok.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:21 PM   #32
nexusrule
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The idea behind the fusion drive is that you don't need to worry about filling it because less used files go to the mechanical drive. You say you have 12gb left on your ssd so it would be okay.

My opinion is you are better with the fusion drive; you maintain warranty, spend a bit less and avoid to disassemble a just bought machine.
nexusrule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:20 PM   #33
CraigJ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
As far as updating the the firmware all you need is an external caddy and a Widows machine. (Tip: dowload the latest firmware tools from Samsung as the one that comes on the disc is the old version). Its simple to do.
Thanks for the reply. That would be the problem, I don't have a windows machine, and I don't particularly want to purchase one or install windows. After more research I settled on the OWC SATA 3 PRO 240 GB SSD, which is an over-provisioned 256GB drive. I also opted for the newest Hitachi 1TB travelstar - SATA 3, 7200RPM, 32MB cache.
CraigJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:45 PM   #34
xlr8or
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Going thru the same questions about Fusion Drive

I'm dealing with the same situation / questions as the original poster . . . decisions, decisions, decisions.

I think that my strategy will be to stick with ordering an Apple refurb i7 unit with the Fusion Drive. A 4 GB RAM late 2012 model just appeared on the Apple Store refurb site today (28 MAR 2013) at a price of US$889. That's a much better price point than the US$1,049 for a brand new one and it is also covered by the full Apple warranty.

With this new concept in mind, has anyone experienced any reliability issues for the new Fusion Drive in the Mac mini? This will be my first Apple product other than an iPhone.

Thanks!
__________________
iPhone 4 - iPod nano 7th Generation - iPad Air
xlr8or is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:22 AM   #35
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816
 
Santabean2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
The equation is fairly straight forward IMO.

If you just want to swap out the HDD for an SSD then a DIY solution is def the way to go. No need to pay Apple extra. It's absolutely straight forward.

But if you want twin drives, get the Fusion and be done with it. The DIY gives a lot more options, but not that much more value. And it's def a bit more involved.
Santabean2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac mini i7 late 2012 RAM and SSD brand recommendations. Alex78 Mac mini 19 Feb 28, 2014 09:35 AM
Mac Mini Late 2012 Stock SSD DanielMac1 Mac mini 2 Aug 1, 2013 03:34 PM
Smallest and cheapest SSD for Mac Mini late 2012 jbrady3324 Mac mini 8 Apr 4, 2013 04:27 PM
Mac Mini Late 2012 and Lacie rugged 120GB external SSD mkus Mac mini 0 Jan 29, 2013 07:42 AM
Second SSD Recommendation for late 2012 Mac Mini Shirke Mac mini 22 Jan 26, 2013 10:42 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC