Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Check out onavo count. It does a breakdown of your data usage per app.

You can also download onavo extended and that compresses text and images so can save in data. It helpful for us on the 2gb plan.

What you are not explaining is what you did in those 2 days. I'm sure that data usage didn't just magically happen. I do agree that AT&T 2gb limit is a joke for Lte since you coul use 2gb in 2 days.

----------

I am having the same issue. I turned off cellular since last week until I am not so underwater with my data. I usually use 1.5ish gb a month. Doing nothing differently than I have in the 2 years I had the 4, I was told I used 800mb in 2 days.

Contacting AT&T did nothing. So now I sit and wait until I figure out what on my phone could be doing something, or apple releases a statement like they did for Verizon.

Yeah I called AT&T because I had a HUGE spike of data use where I downloaded 900mb in one sat! WTF they were not helpful at all. Can anyone post any result if talking to them?

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
OMG me too

Happened to me too. Out of the blue I get a message saying I was over my 3GB cap. Looked at usage and:

One 1 single day (actually in a few hours) it says I used 2.5GB. Wasn't doing anything I haven't been doing for years and I never ever go beyond 1GB in a month. Never use movies over cell or anything large like that.

Of course their records couldn't tell me anything about what caused it. The rep just asked "What did YOU do?"

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeh dumb rep. "Turn off your data." No ****. Might as well turn off my phone then! Like why would my mail app use over 1.25gb?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 144

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I've had this same issue too. I rarely use more than 400 mb of data a month, and last month I used 3.7GB doing the same things.

I didn't look into it because it did not effect my bill, but this is definitely a bug in the system somewhere.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Whatever you guys do dont install that Onavo Count app or Onavo Extend.
This app routes every piece of data through onavos servers.
Data rates will be slow cause now you're depending on onavos servers before your data can be sent or reach its destination.
Every photo, text, search, username password etc.. will be sent through onavos servers. Im not comfortable with that. It will also break your email,hotspot, vpn and will also install a new profile on your phone.
Because the app is free most likely the dev will make his money by selling your data and info to others. You're not the customer using this app, you're the product.
Stay away.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Thanks for the heads up. Makes sense.

Whatever you guys do dont install that Onavo Count app or Onavo Extend.
This app routes every piece of data through onavos servers.
Data rates will be slow cause now you're depending on onavos servers before your data can be sent or reach its destination.
Every photo, text, search, username password etc.. will be sent through onavos servers. Im not comfortable with that. It will also break your email,hotspot, vpn and will also install a new profile on your phone.
Because the app is free most likely the dev will make his money by selling your data and info to others. You're not the customer using this app, you're the product.
Stay away.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
My October billing cycle says I have used 7GB this month WITH one more week to go. I normally use around 1.5GB per month, something weird is going on here

May 8, 2008
Same thing happened to my father last month with the reset of his data plan. In the 18 months he's had an iPhone, he's never gone over 45mb a month. On the first night of the start of his new cycle, he supposedly went through 302mb. :rolleyes:

Had to call ATT and they waived the charge for the additional data but he ended up leaving data off on his phone for the rest of the month. I checked his phone for this month and he's only used 38mb with 1 day left before the data reset.

I'm eagerly anticipating the class action suit against ATT for this phantom data usage nonsense.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Same EXACT problem. 2 iPhone that have never had any issues going over data limit, one an old iPhone 4 the other an iPhone 5.

Upgraded the iPhone 4 to iOS6 and within a few days it had exceeded its data limit. The iPhone 4 is barely used and is on Wifi all the time!

My iPhone 5 has also exceeded its data limit. I though it was the LTE, but even with LTE off, it used tons of data. I don't know what can be causing it. When I had my 4S, I never used over 400MB, EVER! Now with the 5, I am using over 3GB every month!

Apple has screwed something up in iOS6 and it is costing me $$$$!!!

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
This just happened to my wife's iPhone 4 right after she upgraded to iOS6. AT&T claimed she used like 600MB over night (while on wifi). With the $15 200MB plan, the overages are at like 45 bucks and i cant get through to talk to anyone on the phone

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
I using no more then normal with ios 6.0.1, I wonder what you guys use that is different then what I use since I use almost everything

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Just looked at the at&t site and its 735MB of data in one evening, 500MB of that within a couple hours. Also, its all "sent" data; no received data at all for any that day or any of the days around it.
Why would only sent be using 3G while received used wifi?

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
hmm. so something sent 700MB of 3G data in one evening while receiving no 3G data. all while connected to wifi.
When i call AT&T whats the best i can hope for? Them waiving the fees save $15 to knock the data plan up to 2GB? I assuming nothing I say can make them consider that there is a data counting error on their part and they'll likely just blame is on the iPhone

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Just looked at the at&t site and its 735MB of data in one evening, 500MB of that within a couple hours. Also, its all "sent" data; no received data at all for any that day or any of the days around it.
Why would only sent be using 3G while received used wifi?

I know one apple support link was on the first page, but you might want to take a look at this other one titled "Unknown data usage early morning". It's very large and still active. The majority of the people are reporting large sent data during the evening and overnight. Start at the last page and work back a few pages, you may get some ideas that can help.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2450738?start=1965&tstart=0

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I called AT&T and told them the problem. The girl said she has had that happen to her before. She looked over the previous months of data usage and saw that it was usually around 100MB and said it looked like a fluke and they'd take off the overage charges. she also said that since the 200MB plan wasnt offered anymore and it seemed to fit our needs to not jump to a higher data plan.

So it was all good and now i just have to wait a month to get the bill to make sure the charges are removed

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
200mb plan is ludicrous to me. I couldn't do lower then maybe 3gb or 5gb

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
My point is how can you fully enjoy iPhone without the Internet .

I have wifi at home. I have wifi at work. I have wifi most places I go. While I don't have the 200mb plan, I could live with that. Meanwhile. What does it have to do with the thread and the OP's concerns?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.