Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I still would not want a phone as big as the Galaxy Note 1/2. With the mini I have the choice of bringing it with me or not, whereas a phone, I most likely always bring it with me. Would rather have a smaller compact device for a phone.

i totally agree with you. it's so funny when you see the galaxy note 1/2 on people's ear.it's like HELLOOOOO CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Actually you don't. Most guys and some gals do just fine in the back pocket. Works great with cargos. And there are vests and hoodies with inside pockets if that's your deal.

Actually you do [need a bag]. I don't know what "most guys / gals" you are referring to. I don't know a single person who carries their iPad (mini or otherwise) in their pocket on a regular basis. Especially now that the summer time is almost here - last thing people want to do is wear cargo pants or hoodies in 80-degree weather just to fit their iPads in.

You really need to chill. We get it, you don't like the carrying an ipad around, it doesn't work FOR YOU. But your opinion is just that, an opinion. Go find something else to do with your time other than trying to convince us that your opinion is fact or making snide comments.

I am perfectly chilled.. You on the other hand, not so much.. Of course, everyone's posts on here are just their opinions - that's why it's called a public Internet forum. And I will post here as much as I want to, but thanks for your input.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Actually you do [need a bag]. I don't know what "most guys / gals" you are referring to. I don't know a single person who carries their iPad (mini or otherwise) in their pocket on a regular basis. Especially now that the summer time is almost here - last thing people want to do is wear cargo pants or hoodies in 80-degree weather just to fit their iPads in.

I am perfectly chilled.. You on the other hand, not so much.. Of course, everyone's posts on here are just their opinions - that's why it's called a public Internet forum. And I will post here as much as I want to, but thanks for your input.

They make cargo shorts! I, too, take mine everywhere. It's an easy fit...usually I put mine in the front 'hip' pocket of my cargo pants, shorts or inside pocket on my vest or jacket pocket. Different strokes....but I agree with him and your 'tone'. Even now...admission of it being a public, opinion based Internet forum, you're still coming across as condescending. Saying you don't know anyone that carries an iPad mini everywhere is irrelevant. Folks do. Period. That's a simple fact after reading through this thread

While its 'for you' is a decision you have to make, and it sounds as you've done that. As has you entourage of friends, family and people you know.

Ya know. Different strokes

J

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They make cargo shorts! I, too, take mine everywhere. It's an easy fit...

Since I'm secure in my manhood I don't have an issue with a shoulder bag. I also will put my Mini in my cargo shorts side pockets; I just need to find some with slightly deeper pockets as the top of my Mini still sticks out a little.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I take mine almost everywhere. I only really leave it at home when I am positive I won't use it. It's a lot more portable, IMO, than previous models. It fits in most of my purses.

Everyone's needs are different. You can always return it if you don't think it suits you.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I take my ipad and Mac air and iPhone everywhere I go because have a small briefcase that is light and carries these and the accessories I need like my hand scanner and my jambox, but if I want to go light, I'll leave the briefcase in the car and hand carry the mini or slip it into my suit jacket pocket.

It fits in most other sweatshirt or pants pockets and it isn't bad to carry in my hand with my phone either.

I find I'm never without it.

Plus I heard from a source that zagg is coming out with a thin keyboard case for the mini that will let you adjust the angle the mini is held when typing. I'll get that when it comes out, and it'll make the portable device that much more powerful for me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Before the iPad mini came out, I used to take the full-size iPad almost everywhere I went. Now that I have a mini, of course I take it almost everywhere I go. I do usually carry a bag with me, which was the case even before I had iPads, but I did get a small bag just for those times when I wanted to just carry the iPad.

In other words, whether iPads are an everywhere device depends to some extent on how badly you want to take them with you. If you want them everywhere, you make the investment necessary (like buy a bag, and put up with the extra weight), so you can have it with you. If you aren't so into having it with you, well, you'll leave it at home.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just found this thread so gonna spend some time reading. I've just started taking my mini to work for the news. Switching from print to digital news. I'll see how it goes.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Just found this thread so gonna spend some time reading. I've just started taking my mini to work for the news. Switching from print to digital news. I'll see how it goes.

The iPad Mini is the perfect size when you're on the go. When I'm at home, I sometimes do wish I owned an iPad Air.

I purchased a LTE version, so the iPad Mini comes everywhere with me. I also purchased a Bluetooth keyboard which I keep in my bag for when I need to do any sort of typing. It's excellent. Even when I'm at home, I no longer touch my laptop. If you're starting to bring yours out with you, look into getting a keyboard to go with it. You won't regret it.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I carry my mini on the airplane - I used it a lot more at home before I got the ipad pro, but for travel I tend to still use it a lot. IT is much easier to hold in an airplane seat and since I am using it to read more than to watch any videos, it is a great size for me. It is also very easy to just slip in a bag or coat pocket to carry around. Definitely easier than the IPP for when I won't be doing anything other than surfing the net or reading.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
The iPad Mini is the perfect size when you're on the go. When I'm at home, I sometimes do wish I owned an iPad Air.

I purchased a LTE version, so the iPad Mini comes everywhere with me. I also purchased a Bluetooth keyboard which I keep in my bag for when I need to do any sort of typing. It's excellent. Even when I'm at home, I no longer touch my laptop. If you're starting to bring yours out with you, look into getting a keyboard to go with it. You won't regret it.

Which keyboard do you recommend?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I carry my mini on the airplane - I used it a lot more at home before I got the ipad pro, but for travel I tend to still use it a lot. IT is much easier to hold in an airplane seat and since I am using it to read more than to watch any videos, it is a great size for me. It is also very easy to just slip in a bag or coat pocket to carry around. Definitely easier than the IPP for when I won't be doing anything other than surfing the net or reading.

I've thought about switching my reading device from Kindle to the mini. Do you read books on your mini?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Which keyboard do you recommend?

I'm currently using the Logitech Keys-to-go keyboard. You get use to the typing very quickly on it and the battery life is amazing. I purchased it in early December and I charged it for the first time the other day. It wasn't even low on battery when I charged it, which I find amazing.

They do have some nice keyboard cases as well if you're more into that sort of style. On your next trip to the Apple Store, play around with them and see if you like any of them.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I've thought about switching my reading device from Kindle to the mini. Do you read books on your mini?

Yes, I read books on my mini with both the Kindle and the iBooks apps. Both apps work well. On average, the pricing of books on both is about the same, however the price of any given book at any given time will often be better on one or the other.

But I'm not an especially avid reader. Reading books is probably less than 20% of my total time spent on the mini, and I also read some books in paperback format. My wife, on the other hand, is a big book reader and for her the Kindle PaperWhite is by far the better choice. The battery life, display, size/weight, performance in outside lighting all kick the mini's butt.

So it will all come down to how much time you spend reading. Both are awesome devices.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Until I got my iP6S my iPad Mini3 was my every day main iDevice; on the road and at home. It is still with me in my bag but less used on the road; remain main device at home.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
For those of you who are carrying their iPad Mini around on a daily basis, are you using an iPad specific carrying bag or just a normal everyday bag?

I've been looking into getting a bag specifically for my iPad Mini and possibly a few other day-to-day things. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Obviously, not as portable as the phone, but quite portable. Problem is that for a guy, if I carry a mini, I can carry an Air. I'd rather carry the Air.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For those of you who are carrying their iPad Mini around on a daily basis, are you using an iPad specific carrying bag or just a normal everyday bag?

I've been looking into getting a bag specifically for my iPad Mini and possibly a few other day-to-day things. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

The mini fits in lots of purses, so both my mom and I have never had to buy a bag specifically for the mini. As for recommendations, what kind of style are you looking for? Messenger, shoulder bag, sling bag, waist pouch?

Shawn Llewellyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
I bring my mini with me everywhere I go. Fits perfectly/comfortably in my front pocket. Used to have iPad 3 and when I did bring it with me on the go, I never liked leaving it in my vehicle, but carrying it everywhere was cumbersome. With the mini I have it ready to use anytime.
?? How In the World do you fit an iPad Mini in your front pocket ??

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
The mini fits in lots of purses, so both my mom and I have never had to buy a bag specifically for the mini. As for recommendations, what kind of style are you looking for? Messenger, shoulder bag, sling bag, waist pouch?

I'm looking for either a messenger bag or a sling style bag. Preferably something on the smaller end. If you have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your response!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I found the Mini is very portable, and I think its great for commuting into work. In an odd juxtaposition of my needs and wants, I've grown out of my mini and I'm thinking of the iPad Pro - talk about a massive change ;)

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.