Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxredxpandaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
To answer your ORIGINAL question, YES I think Florida summertime heat WOULD be an issue with a Mini - my 2009 runs way too hot for my tastes in my AC'd house. I know you say that running temps aren't really a concern, but they should be - unless you plan to let the car COMPLETELY cool off before even starting the Mini, that is. I imagine you'd be like I am, though - you'd want your music when you start the car, not 15 minutes later after driving down the road and letting it get cool.

As for everyone's else suggestions... sorry dude, they're right. Mac OS X, as much as I like it, is NOT a good touch OS AND keyboards and touchpads are NOT made to be used in a car while driving (actually, it's probably illegal; if not, I think it should be). This just seems, to me, like a recipe for disaster (as does your current setup of using the MBP on the passenger seat - SCARY!).

I second the iPad and external storage if needed... but if you INSIST on a carputer, why not go for a CHEAP, small Linux box and run XBMC as a front-end only (don't even try to navigate the actual OS). Then, connect that to an in-dash touchscreen LCD. Maybe something like this...

One last thought on that, though... do you plan on playing movies while driving? If so, this just got even scarier... if you don't, then why do you need a screen at all? iPod Touch/iPhone and an aux cable handles music very well, after all.

for like the 80th time the keyboard and touchpad will only be there if I need to do something with them, which will be not that often. On start up iTunes will start and I will have an apple remote to switch songs. While using the remote I will never have to take my eyes off of the street, you either press left for the next song or right to go back and the middle button or play/pause button to pause and play. Also up and down will increase or decrease the volume. I know that using a keyboard and touchpad would be very dangerous while operating a vehicle and I would not feel safe doing so.

As for movies I would watch them while I am sitting in my car waiting for something or if other people are in my car and want to watch something. They are not for watching while I drive as that would also be very dangerous, and again I would not feel safe doing so.

For the heat part I am not worried about running temps because the computer is meant to shutdown if it gets to hot (somewhere over 100C) so because of this I am only worried about storage temp which is lower than the car would probably get. So I was wondering if anyone knows what part of the system would be damaged above 47C.

So your going to take a mini apart to do it. Okay that makes better sense for me now. But what about the p4 power plug? You sure it will be a good solution? I imagine that you have to cut cords, and use solder and so on.

It's not the easiest task in a mini.

all you have to do is take the power supply out of the mini and take the cords that connect the power supply to the logic board, and the four on the right are positive, the four on the left are negative, and the middle one is not used. It is not to difficult.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
How do you plan on shutting down the mac mini cleanly when the car is turned off at the power?

Instant power offs will eventually lead to non bootable mac mini.

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
for like the 80th time the keyboard and touchpad will only be there if I need to do something with them, which will be not that often. On start up iTunes will start and I will have an apple remote to switch songs. While using the remote I will never have to take my eyes off of the street, you either press left for the next song or right to go back and the middle button or play/pause button to pause and play. Also up and down will increase or decrease the volume. I know that using a keyboard and touchpad would be very dangerous while operating a vehicle and I would not feel safe doing so.

Wouldn't a ipod classic be 343643264892564564% better?

As for movies I would watch them while I am sitting in my car waiting for something or if other people are in my car and want to watch something. They are not for watching while I drive as that would also be very dangerous, and again I would not feel safe doing so.

Wouldn't a iPad be 2756273465784365874356% better?

all you have to do is take the power supply out of the mini and take the cords that connect the power supply to the logic board, and the four on the right are positive, the four on the left are negative, and the middle one is not used. It is not to difficult.

LOLWUT. Am i reading right? OP wants to hardwire mini to his car, so when he starts the mini boots? He CAN'T be serious.

What you want from us OP? Do you want us to praise your idea as the most genius and clever since fire discovery? Nope, not going to happen. Your idea sucks and you refuse to see the truth from it. Maybe too much in love with your mini?

Computers are for content creation, if you don't need to edit photos, docs, develop and such on the go, you don't need a computer on your car. As you stated you would only shuffle music and watch videos parked.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
why mini and not an iPad

Not sure if I skipped this answer, but why not an iPad? Yes I know the simple answer might be that you'll lack in storage... but that's easily taken care of by using one of those nifty streaming hard drives, or just get a 128GB iPad and you can have a nice mold created for that too... can't think of a reason why you couldn't just add/swap content every so often.

I would imagine that I'd want an iPad over a Mac Mini in my car any day. From the solution of a touch screen for easy control (how were you planning on controlling your mini), to instant-on, to the ability to take it with you and not worry about the heat you mentioned. I think the cost effectiveness combined with a simplicity of use alone should push you towards an iPad.

I can also imagine your costs and worries ballooning out of control trying to install and maintain a Mac Mini in the car... especially if you're worried about heat and all.

Please don't be too harsh on my response, just trying to be helpful :)

Ps. Plus you can use a whole bunch of cool BT devices such as Automatic (http://www.automatic.com) to see your cars engine info and fuel consumption.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What you want from us OP? Do you want us to praise your idea as the most genius and clever since fire discovery? Nope, not going to happen. Your idea sucks and you refuse to see the truth from it. Maybe too much in love with your mini?

It seemed pretty clear to me he wanted to know if the hot car interior would kill his Mac mini. Maybe he also hoped to have an adult conversation about his project. Apparently that was too much to hope for.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
many of the common things people did carputers for are here:
  1. Cause it looks cool (quite a few are just for this purpose only)
  2. Virtually unlimited storage potential
  3. Ability to customize the user experience
  4. Add on software
    • Navigation Software
    • Video Playback
    • OBD-II diagnostics and Logging
  5. Gaming

Now, before iPads/tablets were common those things all required a computer to get an all in one package. But now with iPads/Tablets, better headunits (app radio, etc) and more driver safety awareness, a NEED for a carputer is nearly nonexistent. For years it was an enthusiest community only but now many companies are making specific items for installs.

All of the things can be accomplished with better and more efficient and more portable devices these days. So the NEED of a carputer is nearly gone, but they still fullfill #1 for a lot of people.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I have to jump in here :) I used to be into the car scene etc then had a a kid and everything changed. If you get an LTE ipad or ipad mini and ran your Mac mini at home as a server you would have zero problems. Hell even an ipad with iTunes Match would be better then installing a mini. Then again it sounds like with all the work your looking to do I would assume its just going to be a show car and not your DD. I recently bought an X3 and am looking into putting a mini in the dash. It has everything iTunes, navi, plex it does it all. I haven't bought an I device over 16gb the last year because EVErYThInG can be streamed or stored in the cloud. I have a large music library as well as close to 4tb in video alone. Think it through man. The price for the mini and screen may be cheaper at first but the time and money it will take you to get it to actually work how you want I would guess willbe much more.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
and if you NEED more storage beyond what the iPad has, you can get wireless harddrives for content.

xxredxpandaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
How do you plan on shutting down the mac mini cleanly when the car is turned off at the power?

Instant power offs will eventually lead to non bootable mac mini.

The power supply I mentioned earlier will send a signal to the mini to shut down the only problem is when the message pops up and it says "shutdown restart and sleep" I will have to press enter to shut down, but I am looking into a way to bypass this.

Not sure if I skipped this answer, but why not an iPad? Yes I know the simple answer might be that you'll lack in storage... but that's easily taken care of by using one of those nifty streaming hard drives, or just get a 128GB iPad and you can have a nice mold created for that too... can't think of a reason why you couldn't just add/swap content every so often.

I would imagine that I'd want an iPad over a Mac Mini in my car any day. From the solution of a touch screen for easy control (how were you planning on controlling your mini), to instant-on, to the ability to take it with you and not worry about the heat you mentioned. I think the cost effectiveness combined with a simplicity of use alone should push you towards an iPad.

I can also imagine your costs and worries ballooning out of control trying to install and maintain a Mac Mini in the car... especially if you're worried about heat and all.

Please don't be too harsh on my response, just trying to be helpful :)

Ps. Plus you can use a whole bunch of cool BT devices such as Automatic (http://www.automatic.com) to see your cars engine info and fuel consumption.

For controlling the mini, my power supply will send an on signal to the computer and it will auto log in and auto start iTunes so I wont have to do anything. But if I need to do something I will have a magic trackpad and a wireless keyboard (not using this while I drive as stated in earlier post) to do stuff.

Cost will be much less than if I were to buy a 128gb iPad and that would not be enough storage as just my music takes up about 70-80 gigs. Also I like the idea of having a computer in my car so if I want a certain program or I need a program for windows I can have it all. The computer just gives me a lot more options than an iPad would give me.

Also thank you for being nice about it! :)

It seemed pretty clear to me he wanted to know if the hot car interior would kill his Mac mini. Maybe he also hoped to have an adult conversation about his project. Apparently that was too much to hope for.

Thanks!! :)

many of the common things people did carputers for are here:
  1. Cause it looks cool (quite a few are just for this purpose only)
  2. Virtually unlimited storage potential
  3. Ability to customize the user experience
  4. Add on software
    • Navigation Software
    • Video Playback
    • OBD-II diagnostics and Logging
  5. Gaming

Now, before iPads/tablets were common those things all required a computer to get an all in one package. But now with iPads/Tablets, better headunits (app radio, etc) and more driver safety awareness, a NEED for a carputer is nearly nonexistent. For years it was an enthusiest community only but now many companies are making specific items for installs.

All of the things can be accomplished with better and more efficient and more portable devices these days. So the NEED of a carputer is nearly gone, but they still fullfill #1 for a lot of people.

#1 Is a large part of why I want to do this, plus I have a lot more options than with an iPad. I have the option of having every program ever made for mac that I can install if I need/want to, every program ever made for windows, and every program ever made for linux.

I have to jump in here :) I used to be into the car scene etc then had a a kid and everything changed. If you get an LTE ipad or ipad mini and ran your Mac mini at home as a server you would have zero problems. Hell even an ipad with iTunes Match would be better then installing a mini. Then again it sounds like with all the work your looking to do I would assume its just going to be a show car and not your DD. I recently bought an X3 and am looking into putting a mini in the dash. It has everything iTunes, navi, plex it does it all. I haven't bought an I device over 16gb the last year because EVErYThInG can be streamed or stored in the cloud. I have a large music library as well as close to 4tb in video alone. Think it through man. The price for the mini and screen may be cheaper at first but the time and money it will take you to get it to actually work how you want I would guess willbe much more.

I built a 12TB server (using unRaid) in my house that holds all my movies, and I stream video to my macbook pro just about every day. This is all in a house that has no neighbors close enough to cause problems with wifi interference, and I still have problems sometimes. So if I were to go with streaming from my house to my car while driving I would have a lot of problems. Also I would have to have a plan with Verizon (Has the best coverage where I live) and I would have a data limit which I would surely go over just watching one movie. That is part of the reason I am not going to go with an iPad.

This car is going to be my daily driver, I don't care about showing it off, it is all for my enjoyment. Also time doesn't bother me as I usually take my time doing things to make them how I want, also my solution will be cheaper than a 128GB iPad. I am already making a custom dash for my car so that is not just for the computer.

----------

Wouldn't a ipod classic be 343643264892564564% better?

Wouldn't a iPad be 2756273465784365874356% better?

LOLWUT. Am i reading right? OP wants to hardwire mini to his car, so when he starts the mini boots? He CAN'T be serious.

Computers are for content creation, if you don't need to edit photos, docs, develop and such on the go, you don't need a computer on your car. As you stated you would only shuffle music and watch videos parked.

Im not even going to wast my time typing up a long response to this.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Having been down the road you are attempting to travel several times, I'm going to suggest that you don't go with a Mac Mini.

I'm not trying to argue with your motivations for doing this, and I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios, but this is going to be a much more expensive and time consuming endeavor than you think, and in the end you might not be happy with the result. This is just friendly advice, do with it what you want.

I had two similar setups, a mac mini with a lilliput VGA touchscreen, and a 1st gen Apple TV on the factory screen in my Acura TL.

The mac mini setup was a nightmare. First, you can't just use a cheap inverter to convert your cars DC to the AC for the mini. You are going to get lots of noise in your audio (connected to your stereo) and most likely video signal because the inverter won't do a good job of filtering out the crap in your cars electrical system and it doesn't provide a very good ground, or at least one that is consistent with the ground of your cars electrical system. So your choice is to get a really expensive inverter designed to be clean, or there are companies that sell a replacement DC power supply for the mini. do a search on the forums at mp3car.com for that info, but again more expense.

Then once you have the power supply figured out, you need to manage it. You can't just shut the mini off with your key, over time the OS is going to get screwed by missing and corrupted files. You can't leave it on because its going to drain your battery faster than you think. The mac mini car power supply being sold isn't 100% reliable, so you need to plan for a clean boot-up/shutdown everytime you get in the car. My older mac mini took about a minute to boot fully and about 45 seconds to shut down. Doesn't sound like much, but it pretty much makes it useless for a short trip. If you are running late for school/work/a date/whatever do you really have 2 extra minutes to sit in your car? Next time you drive somewhere, sit in the car an extra minute or two after you shut everything off. It will seem like a lifetime. People have come up with solutions at mp3car.com and they all have a downside. Plus, you need a way to access the power switch, or at least rewire the existing one to where its convenient from the drivers seat. Its going to lock up at some point (due to a failing HD or corrupt OS) and you are going to need to do a forced shutdown/restart. Also, say you are watching a movie or listening to music on the booted mac mini in the ACC position, then go to start the car. The drain on the battery from the starter will most likely cause a voltage drop low enough to shut down the mac mini.

Then, how are you going to sync your material, or at least new material. Wi-Fi? Portable HD? String an ethernet cable to your car at night? It can be such a PITA that I had nearly the same content a year later. Think about what you have to do to import content into iTunes at your desk, then transfer that thought to the drivers seat of a car that needs to be running (or has a limited time on the battery). You could bring the mini in at night, but are you really going to do that?

Then budget for hard drives, because you are going to kill them with the heat/cold/humidity/condensation. And its going to happen at some shi*ty time like when you are about to leave on a road trip or when you are showing off your system to your friends. You are planning a massive amount of storage, think about how long its going to take you to restore it all onto a new drive. You could go with SSD, but then you are getting into $$ for the amount of storage you want.

Then think about the display. Most are 800x480 native. Set your desktop to that and see how damn unusable a modern mac is at that resolution. Your menubar across the top will not fit. You won't be able to use iTunes. If you go higher res, the fonts are going to be tiny unless you have a huge monitor in your dash. You sure as hell can't read it at 65mph. I at least had the advantage of Front Row, but that is obsolete in later versions of OSX.

That pretty much sums up my experience with the mac mini. I switched to an appleTV1 because the interface was more usable for a car environment. I bought and installed a custom 'pico' power supply to run it directly on 12Volts. Same issues with power/killing hard drives/spending more time making it work than using it.

Then, the most fun part. You leave it on accidentally, or whatever power off solution you come up with fails. You come out to a dead battery the next morning. Do that enough times and you kill a cell in the battery then you need one of those too.

Say none of that scares you off, you are looking for a challenge and you are saying F U brucewayne I'll do what I want.

Here's the thing. You will never, ever, ever, ever, ever use terrabytes of content in your car unless you are a passenger on a cross country road trip. You are listening to a guy that spent many wasted years converting 5+TB of music, TV shows, and movies for iTunes and apple TVs.

First, think about the user interface, even a best case scenario in that you are using Front Row. If you have tens of thousands of songs, how long do you think it will take you to get from Afroman to Weezer? Then find the right song?

TV shows and Movies, if you have any sense it will be cool for about 5 minutes then you will say to your self "holy ****, i'm going to be in an accident if i keep doing this" and you'll never watch another show again. Except in the rare case that you are sitting in your car while your girl/guy is shopping or something, in which case I'd bet a dollar you will be on your phone checking messages or surfing the net.

"But what about my passenger, brucewayne, won't I be hella cool if I can play Doctor Who on the way to a football game?" No, because most people get motion sickness staring at 8" screen in a moving car. So your date either blows chunks, or says turn it off, or even better says "isn't this unsafe and illegal to be driving with a movie playing in the dash?"

Again, this is coming from someone that spent a lot of money to do what you want to do, and in the end I ripped it all out and put an iPad mini in my new accord. It has enough storage for actual use in a car, has OBDII connectivity via dashcommand and the Gopoint BT OBD adapter, has LTE for internet, pandora, radio, and Siri (i.e. i can say 'take me to Chik Fil A, or play Metallica), has GPS, and is portable enough to bring into the house at night to sync content. I can stream from my home network via the AirVideo app or slingbox. It will never kill my battery, and because I am using a digital audio connection (via USB) i never need to worry about noise or crappy grounds. And if I'm waiting for my wife in a parking lot somewhere, I can pick it up and read a book or surf the net. I would do this setup again in a heartbeat

"but I have a sweet LCD being installed in my dash right now".
$99 for an appleTV3. Find a 12VDC to 3.4VDC power supply, open up the ATV3, remove the AC power supply and modify it to run on the 3.4VDC power supply. ifixit has the info you'll need.
$35 or so for a monoprice.com adapter to convert the ATV3 HDMI to whatever signal the LCD has for an input. run the audio to your stereo.
Turn on WiFi sharing on your iPhone. Connect the ATV to that network. Use Airplay streaming for content from your phone. As a benefit, mirror the display and see your phones screen on the car's LCD.

The above will be a hell of a lot easier to implement. The ATV will use a tiny fraction of power compared to a mac mini. You can turn it on and off at will, just like you would an iPod. It boots up much faster and is ready to go. If you go for an ATV2 you could jailbreak it and do all sorts of stuff. You probably keep the content you are most likely to use on your phone anyway, so it will always be current.

Again, I understand why you want to do this. I just implore you, for your sake, don't. You will spend a lot of time, money, energy into something that won't satisfy you. A tablet just makes so much more sense.

Last edited:

Jerryrigged

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Hoping to revive discussion

With all due respect, I think this should be looked at differently. If we understand all of the functionality wanted, then we can find an answer to try and meet those needs. For example, this is what I want in my 2011 Toyota 4Runner:

1) I want everyone in the vehicle, including those with wifi only iPads to have internet access. I have an iPhone that does tethering, but that wears out the phone fast. I'm thinking of getting a mifi to use with my 10 GB shared data plan... But I'd prefer to run that through a router if possible (people don't have to switch between networks).

2) want everyone in the vehicle (EXCEPT ME) to have access to movies, TV, and other media on their iDevices streamed from a HDD or small NAS connected to the router. Tricky, because an iDevice won't necessarily read media files direct off a HDD.

3) I like the idea of using the Airport Express so everyone in the car can Airplay music to the stereo.

Now my specific vehicle has AC power outlets front and rear. Also has DC (cig lighter style) outlets front and rear. I have aux audio in jack in center console. Also have a few USB charging ports in the front seat area.

Mac Mini does most except airplay and not sure how I get it to share cellular data (if I use my iphone, I can tether with USB into the mini). Not sure how to address the whole startup / shutdown issues.

Airport Express will do Airplay and AD HOC wifi, but then I'd have to use a NAS to serve iTunes media via the express. Also can't get cellular data through the express.

Let me know if anyone else has any suggestions.

Jerryrigged

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
With all due respect, I think this should be looked at differently. If we understand all of the functionality wanted, then we can find an answer to try and meet those needs. For example, this is what I want in my 2011 Toyota 4Runner:

1) I want everyone in the vehicle, including those with wifi only iPads to have internet access. I have an iPhone that does tethering, but that wears out the phone fast. I'm thinking of getting a mifi to use with my 10 GB shared data plan... But I'd prefer to run that through a router if possible (people don't have to switch between networks).

2) want everyone in the vehicle (EXCEPT ME) to have access to movies, TV, and other media on their iDevices streamed from a HDD or small NAS connected to the router. Tricky, because an iDevice won't necessarily read media files direct off a HDD.

3) I like the idea of using the Airport Express so everyone in the car can Airplay music to the stereo.

Now my specific vehicle has AC power outlets front and rear. Also has DC (cig lighter style) outlets front and rear. I have aux audio in jack in center console. Also have a few USB charging ports in the front seat area.

Mac Mini does most except airplay and not sure how I get it to share cellular data (if I use my iphone, I can tether with USB into the mini). Not sure how to address the whole startup / shutdown issues.

Airport Express will do Airplay and AD HOC wifi, but then I'd have to use a NAS to serve iTunes media via the express. Also can't get cellular data through the express.

Let me know if anyone else has any suggestions.

Jerryrigged

Here's a few thought points....

1. Start with a Mini, add a second wifi "card" via USB.
2. Use one of the wifi "cards" in the Mini to connect to mFi or your iPhone
3. Use the other wifi "card" to share the internet connection thus creating a new wifi hot spot.
4. Setup iTunes to automatically start on the mini at bootup
5. Plug the Mini's audio out into your car's stereo
5. Now all devices in the vehicle connect to the Minis wifi and will have internet and access to the iTunes library
6. Everyone can use the remote app to change the songs played on the stereo. Granted they won't be able to play what is directly on their device, but any music in the iTunes library is readily accessible.

A few cons:
1. You don't want to have more than 40-50 movies if trying to access the Shared iTunes library on an iOS device. The load time takes forever or fails altogether if you try this with too many movies.
2. You will probably want to consider using a UPS with the Mini. Most have a USB connector that plugs into the computer, so that it will automatically shut off the Mini when power is lost (thus you don't have to worry about inadvertently have the mini abruptly shut off. There are also devices out there that will shut down the mini for car usage, but a cheap UPS is just as good.
3. Last I tried this from a Mac, I could only setup WEP as the wifi encryption. WEP is obviously very weak, but we are also talking about a car that will be moving. The chances someone follows you down the road long enough to break the encryption and use your internet seems pretty minimal.
4. I'd also consider going all SSD if possible. With 500GB SSD's showing up for $250 (I saw one on Tiger the other day for $140!), you can get some really good deals. Spinning drives on bumpy roads are not the best, further it will reduce your boot up time which is nice in a car.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You will want that solid state drive. 1 small bump during a write or read and the drive could be toast. It's a worth while investment for sake of data and stability. Either that or get a few drives and clone them regularly and get ready to swap them out regularly.

I had a Rockford Fosgate HDD add-on for my car stereo about 10 years ago and it had a somewhat small display you placed on the dash and the removable 20GB HDD mounted in the trunk and you would eject the HDD and plug it up USB to your computer to sync your music then place it back in the car.
Or if you parked close enough to your house you could transfer music over wifi to your car.

Now I only had that for about 2 years before I bought my 5th gen iPod Video but the HDD never went out due to bumps.

I still would look more to an iPad 3 or 1st gen iPad mini, dash mount that and get an external drive for more space if needed.
Then you can monitor real time data from your car if wanted and many others things.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
A platter harddrive can handle normal car vibrations just fine. It's not a record player :p The disc and head are both attached to the same chassis, so when one moves so does the other. Platter drives are very specifically designed to have a cushion of air between the platter and the head. That's what causes the head to "float" over the platter.

I have been using an iPod Classic in my very stiff suspension sports car for 7 years now and it uses a platter harddrive inside (all 30GB yay!) and it has never crashed because I hit a pot hole or something.

Bigiain

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
Glasgow
I would definitely go for an SSD - the devices mentioned above were designed for use in a car, so the hard drive itself will have been ruggedised, plus the mounting in the device will have been designed to absorb shocks and vibration.

The Mac Mini has no shock protection whatsoever for the hard drive - it's a desktop PC - it's not designed to be moved about while powered up.

bbqkimchi

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
Austin
I'm a civic guy, and a music guy w/ an aftermarket system, seriously... find a way to just use your iphone w/ iTunes match, Beats, or Spotify. Function is what will turn heads, not some clunky install.

Edit:

Notice the thread starter hasn't commented since May 2013. It probably didn't work out for him. Such a bad idea post 2006

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.