Yahoo Launches New Streamlined Mail Client for iPhone - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:37 AM   #26
burtx
macrumors newbie

Sweet. Maybe it can integrate with Geocities somehow.
burtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:40 AM   #27
Scrumper
macrumors member

Whenever I try to log in to my account it just refuses and says "Authentication unavailable". Same thing with both my accounts. Pretty much what I've come to expect from Yahoo these days.
Scrumper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:23 AM   #28
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I have Yahoo mainly for groups. For a short time I used Yahoo for mail when Eudora crashed on me once. I went right back of course. I agree Yahoo mail should allow IMAP/POP access and even have a feature on Yahoo mail to check other providers. For the longest time I kept my legacy AOL account just for the email address stability. Once I had my current email 5 years and transitioned even the slow pokes to it I then canceled AOL. If they had a Free/$10 a month email only option I would still have it.

I wish providers of services and clients would declare email the one area where walled gardens are bad and open it up. I doubt they would lose users. People have email addresses for a reason and changing them for most folks is much harder than changing home addresses or phone numbers.

To me the key feature of Eudora is automagically putting mails into folders. Saves me a bunch of time and mental distraction.

I hope Marissa is reading this. Congrats on the baby.

Rocketman
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:36 AM   #29
d3vi1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Marissa, what we'd really like is access to our Yahoo mailboxes from desktop IMAP/POP clients. You know, like every other email provider on the planet?
While it's not advertised, it works like a charm with Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Evolution and I would assume also Outlook. It's standard IMAP, nothing special:
imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com using your Yahoo! ID as a username and password. Apple Mail configures it as POP3 by default, but by using the option key when pressing next, you can customise the server type and settings.
d3vi1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:26 AM   #30
rols
macrumors 6502

The fact there are only 24 comments after about 18 hours tells me everything I need to know about the yahoo iOS mail app. Nobody even bothered to say it was 'snappier'.
rols is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 AM   #31
bearda
macrumors 6502

Anybody noticing problems with the app icon badges not updating correctly? It seems like the number of unread emails in my inbox rarely matches the number displayed on the app icon.
bearda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:02 PM   #32
derek4484
macrumors 6502

This looks nice...but

I just use the stock email app for my yahoo mail. Because I use the stock email app for all my email accounts. I have yahoo, iCloud, work POP email, personal POP email, and Gmail (via exchange sync). It makes it nice to have them all in one app. Rather than using the Gmail app, yahoo mail app, and stock email app to manage all my email accounts.
derek4484 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion