Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Sossity
macrumors 6502a

keep or toss boxes etc to peripherals

I have boxes to external enclosures for hard drives, & some of the enclosure models I have are no obsolete.

My space is limited, and my shelf is getting a bit crowded, I like to keep boxes/packaging for my bigger ticket items like my mac mini, but I am not sure what to do with boxes for other items like the box to my m rainstand laptop holder, and the boxes to my macally, OWC, and icydock enclosures.

Just getting some input as to what others do with stuff like this.
Sossity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I have boxes to external enclosures for hard drives, & some of the enclosure models I have are no obsolete.

My space is limited, and my shelf is getting a bit crowded, I like to keep boxes/packaging for my bigger ticket items like my mac mini, but I am not sure what to do with boxes for other items like the box to my m rainstand laptop holder, and the boxes to my macally, OWC, and icydock enclosures.

Just getting some input as to what others do with stuff like this.
If I know for sure something is working fine and don't anticipate damage I toss boxes. Things like drives and more expensive things I hold onto and I generally sell stuff like that on ebay when upgrading. Or at least hang onto for a year through warranty period.
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:08 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

I take a similar approach....I keep the packaging for all my Macs...the original boxes for shipping post sale. I hold on to peripheral boxes for a month or so, then they go in the trash....if I kept them all I'd be knee deep in cardboard. The only exception is the original box for my R4 which I've kept also for shipping.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:18 AM   #4
fhall1
macrumors 68020

As above - I try to keep the boxes through the warranty period for peripherals and such in case I need to ship them back. For things I think will net some bucks upon resale and that I might have to ship - like old Macs - I'll keep the box. For big stuff that have big boxes (like HT subwoofer) I'd plan on selling only locally later - I toss the box after warranty expires.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
colodane
macrumors regular

For inexpensive and expendable things, I only keep the boxes through the warranty period. But for items I may want to resell later, keeping the original shipping box is a big plus. I've had a fair amount of experience selling used test equipment from my electronics lab as well as used Apple products, and having the original box and documentation will pay big benefits in terms of ease of sale and the sales price.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:13 AM   #6
mslide
macrumors 6502a

I only keep a box if I think I will sell the item in the future otherwise they get tossed once I know I won't get buyer's remorse.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
tangfj
macrumors member

I keep boxes for anything that I think will have some sort of resale value and if the box is worth keeping as I tend to sell stuff about every year or two as I get new things... I find that the original packaging adds some level of attraction for potential buyers and it provides some level of protection for shipping purposes when put inside another cardboard box. I throw away any plastic packaging that you basically have to tear open to get the product out like many logitech mice and other things.
tangfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:41 PM   #8
whosnut
macrumors newbie

I keep boxes for things I'll be able to resell later. Other boxes I keep until I've used it long enough that I won't be returning it. I put smaller boxes into the larger ones as much as I can to save room.
whosnut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals