Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
Hardware i have :

Macbook Pro 13.3 i7 2.9Ghz 16Gb Mem 256Gb SSD (Running Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
1 x Time Capsule 1Tb
1 x Airport Express attached to SKY Router
1 x Airport Extreme
1 x Apple TV 3rd Generation
1 x iPad 3rd Gen
1 x iPhone 5

All using 5Ghz (n) Wireless Technology

1 x LaCie 1Tb Externtal Hard Drive (Formatted in MAC OS Extended (Journaled) Main iTunes Library)

The Idea :

I was hoping to use the LaCie external drive which has my Movie Library and using it as a network drive.

I also own a HP DC7900 with only a 160Gb Intel 2 Core Duo 2Ghz with thinking do i install basic windows XP with iTunes 10.7 and attaching the LaCie to the this machine and networking my library.

1st thing i know which will be a problem is the way the drive is formatted i'm going to have to move the library across to a temp drive then format the drive in to a 32bit FAT drive.

Once i've done this move the library back again to the LaCie Drive and then share iTunes across the Network

But will this work ??

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
1st thing i know which will be a problem is the way the drive is formatted i'm going to have to move the library across to a temp drive then format the drive in to a 32bit FAT drive.
If you plan to use the drive for movies, you may want to re-think using FAT32, as it doesn't support files larger than 4GB.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What would be your recommendation ?

Changing the file system ? if so to what ?

All movies are no bigger than on average 1.4Gb each or less
If you only plan to have the drive directly connected to a Mac or Airport Extreme, I would use HFS+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.