Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Brannigan's Law
macrumors newbie

File Server / Workspace Setup Ideas

I've been asked to put together a workspace / file server for our design department and I have a few questions.

I have two 3TB hard drives that I'd like to use for the storage. I was about to set these up in RAID 1 on an old PowerPC G5 that we have, but I quickly found out that there is a 2TB limit on these machines. Therefore, it looks like I will have to buy an older Intel Mac Pro or a Mac Mini (with an external HD enclosure). I'd prefer to keep costs at or below $1,000. Any suggestions?

Also, I need a good way to copy only new or modified data to our off-site storage. I'd like to do this on a nightly basis. Any ideas?
Brannigan's Law is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: rsync...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigan's Law View Post
Also, I need a good way to copy only new or modified data to our off-site storage. I'd like to do this on a nightly basis. Any ideas?
Hi Brannigan's Law,

I would recommend using the "rsync" shell command for your off-site nightly backup, as it accomplishes just what you require, i.e., it transfers the least amount of data: the differences between two sets of files across the network.

Many, if not most, commercial backup programs use the rsync remote-update protocol to perform their magic. The terminal "rsync" command allows you complete flexibility and is easily executed from a script that runs nightly.

You can find information on "rsync" in the manpages, "man rsync".

Regards,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
readymade524
macrumors newbie

Unless you need to use the storage machine for something else, I'd go with a NAS. Synology has some nice devices.
readymade524 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking