Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Mac Mini carrying case

Anyone know of a good Mac Mini carrying case that would carry the computer as well as cables? I often end up having to work on projects over the holidays, and they are things I cannot do on my iPad. I would like to be able to safely transport my Mac Mini and cables, and a bonus would be if it could also hold my magic trackpad and wireless keyboard.

I suppose a generic laptop bag would work too, but I'm looking for something more form fitting and compact. Any suggestions? I'm not having much luck just searching for it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
Anyone know of a good Mac Mini carrying case that would carry the computer as well as cables? I often end up having to work on projects over the holidays, and they are things I cannot do on my iPad. I would like to be able to safely transport my Mac Mini and cables, and a bonus would be if it could also hold my magic trackpad and wireless keyboard.

I suppose a generic laptop bag would work too, but I'm looking for something more form fitting and compact. Any suggestions? I'm not having much luck just searching for it.
I know you already have a Mac Mini, but sounds like you would have made a better choice going with a laptop (especially since a Mac Mini is nothing more than a laptop without keyboard/trackpad/display). With that said, your best bet is to go with a laptop bag that is heavily padded. You could probably get one of those hard cases with the interior foam and cut a place out of the foam for your Mac Mini, but that seems a little excessive (and expensive) for something you are going to haul only a few times.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:17 AM   #3
BenGieCruz
macrumors newbie

Pelican Cases are good!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:10 AM   #4
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I know you already have a Mac Mini, but sounds like you would have made a better choice going with a laptop (especially since a Mac Mini is nothing more than a laptop without keyboard/trackpad/display). With that said, your best bet is to go with a laptop bag that is heavily padded. You could probably get one of those hard cases with the interior foam and cut a place out of the foam for your Mac Mini, but that seems a little excessive (and expensive) for something you are going to haul only a few times.
I much prefer an iPad to a laptop--have never liked the laptop form factor as far as portability and ease of use, and the iPad largely solved that problem for me. But about once a year, I need to travel with a full blown computer, and I think my Mac Mini would be plenty portable enough to do that. In fact, even more portable and much lighter than the standard laptop.

I think it would be amazing if I could use the iPad as the monitor for the Mac Mini. I could fit the whole setup in my backpack!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
geraldfleck
macrumors newbie

You can, actually (use your iPad as a monitor). There are some posts (and youtube videos) detailing how to do it.

Look here for starters:

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/21081.page
geraldfleck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:32 AM   #6
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I much prefer an iPad to a laptop--have never liked the laptop form factor as far as portability and ease of use, and the iPad largely solved that problem for me. But about once a year, I need to travel with a full blown computer, and I think my Mac Mini would be plenty portable enough to do that. In fact, even more portable and much lighter than the standard laptop.

I think it would be amazing if I could use the iPad as the monitor for the Mac Mini. I could fit the whole setup in my backpack!
You missed the point of my comment. I didn't mean a laptop as a replacement for your iPad, rather as a replacement for your desktop/Mac Mini. You can leave them hooked to a monitor (even a keyboard and mouse if you would like) but when you need to move it (i.e. work from home), you have everything all bundled together and away you go. I do this all the time.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
You missed the point of my comment. I didn't mean a laptop as a replacement for your iPad, rather as a replacement for your desktop/Mac Mini. You can leave them hooked to a monitor (even a keyboard and mouse if you would like) but when you need to move it (i.e. work from home), you have everything all bundled together and away you go. I do this all the time.
I do understand what you're saying--but I like the fact that the Mini is a full blown computer that I can also just pick up and take with me. My parents house is usually when I would need to bring it along and they have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard I can hook up to it. Not that a laptop ISN'T a full blown computer, but a) I have never liked the laptop form factor, even before the iPad existed, and b) the specific software I'm referring to is just way more comfortable to use on a non-laptop.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:36 PM   #8
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
I do understand what you're saying--but I like the fact that the Mini is a full blown computer that I can also just pick up and take with me. My parents house is usually when I would need to bring it along and they have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard I can hook up to it. Not that a laptop ISN'T a full blown computer, but a) I have never liked the laptop form factor, even before the iPad existed, and b) the specific software I'm referring to is just way more comfortable to use on a non-laptop.
SO Back to your question pelican makes a case for you.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-mac-mini-1450.htm

but I have made cases with this it is a bit too big but looks cool and is very sturdy. I do not know how good this seller is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-DOUBLE-HA...item3f0cffdd82
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
ZenMoto
macrumors newbie

Wow, that Pelican case looks like the perfect solution! It's a little more bulky and extreme than I want though.

I'm also looking for a bag to fit the Mini, but I'd prefer something softer, than can compress and fit into my backpack - for times when I need to carry less peripherals and the like.

It's funny, how you asked for help to find a case, and then got bombarded with replies about how you're doing it wrong. If you need a case, you need a case, and your computing habits really shouldn't matter.
ZenMoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:52 AM   #10
CHAOS STEP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMoto View Post
Wow, that Pelican case looks like the perfect solution! It's a little more bulky and extreme than I want though.

I'm also looking for a bag to fit the Mini, but I'd prefer something softer, than can compress and fit into my backpack - for times when I need to carry less peripherals and the like.

It's funny, how you asked for help to find a case, and then got bombarded with replies about how you're doing it wrong. If you need a case, you need a case, and your computing habits really shouldn't matter.
No, you are wrong. Please go out and buy a Macbook Pro, or at the very least a budget option Macbook Air ...

Now, here is the answer to your question;

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/guide/bags.html

I think that Pelican one is a bit OTT.
CHAOS STEP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:57 AM   #11
ZenMoto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS STEP View Post
No, you are wrong. Please go out and buy a Macbook Pro, or at the very least a budget option Macbook Air ...

Now, here is the answer to your question;

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/guide/bags.html

I think that Pelican one is a bit OTT.
Thank you.

Last edited by ZenMoto; Dec 14, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
ZenMoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini