Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:07 PM   #26
ECUpirate44
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
Has nothing to do with the FCC ruling, VZW said what they said. VZW nowhere says anything about any FCC ruling because it's false that the FCC says VZW can't throttle.

VZW has made it clear that they can and may throttle in the future.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...ns-to-you-faq/
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #27
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
That's about tethering not throttling. Read the article. The FCC ruled that tiered accounts won't be charged for tethering.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:11 PM   #28
ECUpirate44
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
That's about tethering not throttling.
What did the FCC settle with Verizon Wireless?
On Tuesday the FCC and Verizon announced that they had agreed to settle a 10-month long investigation into Verizon's management of the 700 MHz wireless spectrum the carrier is using to build its 4G LTE network. The so-called open access rules state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #29
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
What did the FCC settle with Verizon Wireless?
On Tuesday the FCC and Verizon announced that they had agreed to settle a 10-month long investigation into Verizon's management of the 700 MHz wireless spectrum the carrier is using to build its 4G LTE network. The so-called open access rules state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."
It's about tethering not throttling. It has to do with 3rd party tethering apps. The title of the article pertains to a tethering settlement.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ)

The tethering settlement is a tethering settlement not a throttling settlement.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #30
ECUpirate44
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
It's about tethering not throttling. It has to do with 3rd party tethering apps. The title of the article pertains to a tethering settlement.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ)
The title of the article is tethering, but pretty sure it applies to the entire 4G network regardless of access point.
ECUpirate44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:16 PM   #31
BarryL
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
How many threads will this topic have? 100?
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #32
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
The title of the article is tethering, but pretty sure it applies to the entire 4G network regardless of access point.
Nope the whole article is about the tethering settlement.

Does Network Optimization apply to customers using 4G services?
No. We reserve the right to include 4G LTE users later, but right now this only applies to the top 5% of users with unlimited data plans using 3G devices. If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected at this time.

VZW has made it clear the can throttle and can throttle in the future.

What you posted was a tethering settlement about 3rd party apps and tiered accounts not paying tethering fee. Look in the Play Store, VZW can't block 3rd tethering apps anymore.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #33
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
FCC ruling...

•Block, degrade, or interfere with the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing on the licensee’s Block C network, subject to reasonable network management. Wireless service providers subject to this requirement will not be allowed to disable features or functionality in handsets where such action is not related to reasonable network management and protection, or compliance with applicable regulatory requirements. For example, providers may not “lock” handsets to prevent their transfer from one system to another."

Reasonable network management. VZW gives an explanation of network management....

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com...isclosure.html
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:58 PM   #34
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000
 
HankHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Victorville CA
No one on verizon with LTE has complained about being throttled, because it can't happen, at the moment.

I have had several conversations about this with techs and reps on the phone. Every time the answer is throttling only applies to unlimited 3G customers.

Verizon doesn't even have true throttling Its called network optimization and only goes into effect when you are on a congested tower after being labeled a data hog. There is no set limit to reach to be called a data hog. It's up to their discretion. Network optimization only applies to unlimited 3G customers using a 3G device. One you activate a LTE device, this no longer applies.
__________________
"It just works."

Last edited by HankHowdy; Dec 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
HankHowdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:59 AM   #35
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
No one on verizon with LTE has complained about being throttled, because it can't happen, at the moment.
It's not that it can't happen it's because VZW doesn't network optimize 4G devices at this time and reserved the right too in the future.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy
Verizon doesn't even have true throttling Its called network optimization and only goes into effect when you are on a congested tower after being labeled a data hog. There is no set limit to reach to be called a data hog. It's up to their discretion. Network optimization only applies to unlimited 3G customers using a 3G device. One you activate a LTE device, this no longer applies.
VZW states that 3G devices will be affected with the current billing cycle and the next billing cycle.

VZW also states the 3G policy would be the same as 4G. So when VZW starts to network optimize 4G you'll be affected for the current and next billing cycle.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:57 AM   #36
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000
 
HankHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Victorville CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
It's not that it can't happen it's because VZW doesn't network optimize 4G devices at this time and reserved the right too in the future.




VZW states that 3G devices will be affected with the current billing cycle and the next billing cycle.

VZW also states the 3G policy would be the same as 4G. So when VZW starts to network optimize 4G you'll be affected for the current and next billing cycle.
Do you have verizon? Have you spoken to them?

They said they cannot touch LTE legally at the moment.

Call them and find out for yourself.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
My opinion is VZW will start implementing network management/ throttling. It would be a drastic move to kick everyone off UL.
Your opinion.....

----------

If verizon could throttle they would have by now, so they could discourage the unlimited data customers. What are they gaining by letting them continue to have it? Nothing, they're actually losing.

When the FCC changes the law we will see the end of no ceiling LTE.

Sorry dude, it would have happened by now.
__________________
"It just works."
HankHowdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC