Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I am looking for a way to connect my MacBook to my wifi network via my Ethernet port. I'm not having any trouble with the wifi but am looking at getting an apple tv and wish to be able to use wolan. As far as I know, wowlan is only available using the apple airport routers. Is there something I can get that plugs into my Ethernet port on my MacBook, connects to the wifi network and lets my MacBook treat it as a wired connection so I can use wolan? I assume something like this would. E cheaper than buying an apple router that supports wowlan...? My MacBook is based too far from the router to be directly connected via an Ethernet cable.
Also, how do I make sure that my current router actually supports wolan?
Thanks.

m0oskk

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
I am looking for a way to connect my MacBook to my wifi network via my Ethernet port. I'm not having any trouble with the wifi but am looking at getting an apple tv and wish to be able to use wolan. As far as I know, wowlan is only available using the apple airport routers. Is there something I can get that plugs into my Ethernet port on my MacBook, connects to the wifi network and lets my MacBook treat it as a wired connection so I can use wolan? I assume something like this would. E cheaper than buying an apple router that supports wowlan...? My MacBook is based too far from the router to be directly connected via an Ethernet cable.
Also, how do I make sure that my current router actually supports wolan?
Thanks.

A wireless bridge would work or any SOHO router that supports it would work. It's an wireless access point that connected to your WiFi AP, and it usually has one or two ports on the back. If you know your WiFI's AP information (channel, password, and some other settings), the bridge should be no hassle to set up.

Otherwise, if you're in the Apple ecosystem (Airport extreme and/or express) shouldn't be too hard to setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.