Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adharbinson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I have a late 2007 macbook pro 3,1 (15.4-inch: 2.2GHz)

I can't afford to go out and buy a new computer so I want to upgrade my old computer but have never done anything like this before.
I want to upgrade the ram to 4 8 or 16 GB. How do I know which hardware to buy that will match my computer model. Do I need to upgrade my OS from Leopard in order for the computer to recognize the new ram (I heard that could be an issue)
I would also like to upgrade my hard drive to free up space. Is this possible? if so what hardware is best suited?
If I do these upgrades can I upgrade my Operating system to Mountain Lion
Finally, are there any good programs to clean up my mac so it runs faster?

Thanks So much!! :)

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I have a late 2007 macbook pro 3,1 (15.4-inch: 2.2GHz)

I can't afford to go out and buy a new computer so I want to upgrade my old computer but have never done anything like this before.
I want to upgrade the ram to 4 8 or 16 GB. How do I know which hardware to buy that will match my computer model. Do I need to upgrade my OS from Leopard in order for the computer to recognize the new ram (I heard that could be an issue)
I would also like to upgrade my hard drive to free up space. Is this possible? if so what hardware is best suited?
If I do these upgrades can I upgrade my Operating system to Mountain Lion
Finally, are there any good programs to clean up my mac so it runs faster?

Thanks So much!! :)

The best one for me is to visit Crucial.com

Crucial will scan your system and tell you what Ram is compatible with your current system and then list the products available. Ram is quite cheap at the moment in the UK (not sure about US)

I would try that out my friend!

It will also tell you how much ram your computer can hold (best to stay within the supported ram thresholds)

Youtube has some great videos showing step by step process of changing HD and RAM

This may also help you

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/ss/macbook-pro-upgrade-guide_3.htm

:apple:

adharbinson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks Very much! Those sites were quite helpful.

Anywhere to find a compatible Hard Drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.