Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Several confirmed dead so far, with dozens more feared to have the same fate. Some pretty unreal video of the blast was actually caught.

Been a rough few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My brother in law is a firefighter here in the DFW area and last night he was called in to help with one of the more local departments who were on the scene. It's been a crazy night from what I've been told. Several homes have been destroyed and the damage is pretty extensive.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Certainly been a rough week. Not to be an ass but what the hell is a fertilizer plant doing in a residential neighborhood?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I don't so much think it was the loudness of the blast that caused her to lose her hearing. It was most likely the pressure differential and sound blast that cause the temporary hearing loss.

I heard a report on the radio this morning that this explosion registered on the richter scale at a 2.8. That is rather amazing (and disturbing) when you think about it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Do we know if this was an accident or other yet? It just seems far to coincidental. The Waco anniversary is right round the corner.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm sure the next time dad asks who wants to go watch fire at an industrial plant whose materials are used in large bombs - the kids are going to ask if they could just stay home and toss lit firecrackers at each other. More fun, and safer too.

Sympathies to the families who have lost loved ones, their homes, their livelihoods.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't know for sure but could be that the neighborhood built up around the plant.

OK, I'll restate my question. Who the hell builds up homes, schools and nursing homes near a fertilizer plant?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
OK, I'll restate my question. Who the hell builds up homes, schools and nursing homes near a fertilizer plant?

West is not a large town. The plant was probably one of the major employers in town, so some people might want to have lived nearby.

As big as that explosion was, you probably didn't need to be very close to it for your house to sustain some damage.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Several confirmed dead so far, with dozens more feared to have the same fate. Some pretty unreal video of the blast was actually caught.

YouTube: video

Holy Crap. They are lucky they survived. MSNBC interviewed the local Congressman about the proximity of the plant to schools, homes, a nursing home. He said it was a 'wakeup call'. Really? This is not the first time a fertilizer plant has exploded. In many, many cases rules, regulations, zoning, are written in blood. From my time spent in aviation, this is definitely the case for airlines. It's been reported that the plant owner when going over emergency contingency plans, did not acknowledge this could ever happen. Of course, it would cost money such as buying out the surrounding neighborhoods or moving the plant somewhere else.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wow, that was a pretty amazing video. Can't imagine how houses were allowed to be built so close to the plant.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

Do you live near a grain elevator, coal mine, wood mill, or flour mill? Those things can go off just like the fertilizer plant did in Texas. Anywhere there's lots of combustible dust in an enclosed space can explode like a thermobaric or fuel-air bomb.

Nuclear power plants are much much safer neighbors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.