Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:16 PM   #26
djrod
macrumors 6502a

I use iflicks, it supports subtitles and is really fast when encoding, it adds complete metadata with video cover, everything is conviniently automated.

http://www.iflicksapp.com/
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:36 PM   #27
Absolute-Zero
macrumors newbie

I use HandBrake for converting my subtitled anime for the iPad. I do this:

- Use the iPad preset in HandBrake

- Go to the subtitles tab and choose the subtitle track and check burned in (or you can just mux it)

- Lastly start the conversion

But sometimes there is a problem (the person who made the video forgot to attach the subtitle font) and the subtitles do not render. For this I do this:

- Lauch Mkvtoolnix from Bunkus (download the universal package provided by JonThn)

- Add the anime video under "input files"

- Go to the attachments tab

- Than add a font (you can use any font, I recommend calibri downloaded from google)

- Make sure it is recognized as the MIME type: application/x-truetype-font (.ttf fonts are recommended)

- Lastly mux it and use HandBrake to convert it to iPad as mentioned above.

FOR SOME FUN:

Sometimes when I download an anime I do not like the font the subtitles use so I change them to a font I like. To do this:

- Lauch Mkvtoolnix

- Add the anime video under "input files"

- Go to the attachments tab

- Disable the "attached" files

- Than add the font you want to use for the subtitles

- Make sure it is recognized as the MIME type: application/x-truetype-font (.ttf fonts are recommended)

- Lastly mux it and use HandBrake to convert it to iPad as mentioned above.
Absolute-Zero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:46 AM   #28
Aurora91
macrumors newbie

How To: Convert MKV to MP4 for IPad (with Subtitles)

It's a good guide to convert mkv to mp4 for your iPad, but the free tool usually reduce the mkv quality when converting.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:50 AM   #29
aoaaron
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already, there is an app for this:

Sub Video Player
http://www.subvideoplayer.com/

Anime conversions usually take less than 30s with their desktop software since all it is doing is remuxing the file. No conversion means no re-compression means perfect video and audio quality. Subtitles, fonts and chapters are all copied over. The actual iPhone/iPad player app supports the ASS sub format (found in almost all anime mkv) so you get all that fancy fonts, styling and even karakoke. Subs are not burned into the video so you can turn them off directly in the player if you want to go raw.

If you just want basic text, then Air Video and VLC works. But expect it to be a bit messed up when it comes to karaoke and don't expect any fancy subtitle positioning. Air video also recompresses the video so there will be a little quality loss (though you probably won't notice it).

Based on my experiences, VLC isn't quite up to the task of playing 720p mkv's yet. This isn't the fault of VLC, basically the iPhone/iPad just isn't powerful enough at the moment. I imagine in a few generations, VLC will work great with 720p videos.

The only reason Sub Video Player can play videos in 720p is because it is using the iPhone/iPad video hardware acceleration.
does this actually work with all files? I've read reviews saying it doesn't work with some files...
aoaaron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:58 PM   #30
aoaaron
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
does this actually work with all files? I've read reviews saying it doesn't work with some files...
Works perfectly amazing
aoaaron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 AM   #31
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on resurrecting this thread, which - BTW - is about muxing subtitles into a file in order to play it on a mobile device, not looking for an app to play it back on a computer.
BTW2 - this task can be accomplished with exactly 4 clicks in Subler.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:26 PM   #32
poikkeus
macrumors newbie

Smile Back to basics

This is a really old thread - but it's still very useful for someone who wants to view mkv files on an iPad. I haven't tried the Handbrake method, but the OP's suggestion of using MP4Tools works easily and reliably.
poikkeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad